Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fabia RS reviewed in Irish Times

Options
  • 26-01-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2011/0126/1224288311634.html
    All this sounds, looks and feels good. Start it up and there is a satisfying burble. It is snarly and mischievous in the way that a car like this ought to be.
    Find a gap or escape the confines of the city and you can pull on the paddles and the double-clutch gearbox has already lined up the correct gear. It is ultra responsive and once you have tried this gearbox you will be converted.
    This car feels fast.
    This is a practical car that won’t cost the earth to run, is well equipped, blistering fun when you want it to be, and anything but boring. And it costs €16,095 less than a Golf GTi with DSG.
    We have one bit of advice about the Fabia RS: form an orderly queue.

Which all sounds fantastic. Great performance, quality and awesome value.

But... but.... LOOK AT IT! It's dire looking :eek: Skoda have everything else down. Performance, quality - why can't they hire someone decent in terms of aesthetics?!?! I'd consider myself badge neutral and have seriously considered the Octavia - but it's not the badge that would put me off it's the look of it. And the Fabia is the same.

New-Skoda-Fabia.jpg

EDIT: Apparently the above isn't actually the VRS version. See below for VRS (not much different for me tbh!)

[IMG][/img]http://www.blogofcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2011-Skoda-Fabia-RS.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Skoda's, mechanically, are excellent, but they need to give the boot (hold for joke about massive) to their tweed jacket, monacle wearing, pipe smoking lead designer.

All their cars have that ugly mustache and dated bonnet line which I think completely ruins them. The sides and back aren't much better - could have been taken straight off a massive standard airfix template.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Looks nice in the right guise imo

SkodaFabiaRS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Skoda's, mechanically, are excellent, but they need to give the boot (hold for joke about massive) to their tweed jacket, monacle wearing, pipe smoking lead designer.
    Looking bland is actually a major plus for owners who intend to use the available performance on public roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Feck that, I want one. 180hp DSG? Yeehaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Confab wrote: »
    Feck that, I want one. 180hp DSG? Yeehaw!

+1, i'd take one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Boot isn't big enough. Octavia fans will be livid.

p.s. That twincharged engine has been known to be troublesome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Boot isn't big enough. Octavia fans will be livid.

p.s. That twincharged engine has been known to be troublesome too.

Indeed it is, and VW are replacing it with a larger capacity engine that only has a turbocharger. They're talking about replacing it with a 1.6 turbo producing up to 180 bhp.

The lower output 122 bhp engine will continue, as that does not have a surpercharger, which the more powerful 1.4 TSI's have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I always liked the fabia, but the older shaped one in particular. The new one would probably grow on me and I'm sure with that turbo it wouldn't take too long:p. It just reminds me of a mini in a way:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Totally wicked charriot, I drove a green one,dosn't look as bad???????? It goes like ****e of a stick, its very, VERY quick. Scary if U dont know what u are doing. Am gona wait till they sort out the new engine, but even today its a bargain for what you get. The looks of the car might put off a few joyriders until they notice the RS badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

quad_red wrote: »

New-Skoda-Fabia.jpg

It's ugly as sin. I know skodas are meant to be great value n'all. But couldn't they have spent a teeny bit on a car designer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

squod wrote: »
    It's ugly as sin. I know skodas are meant to be great value n'all. But couldn't they have spent a teeny bit on a car designer?

That's a CGI though. A good few subtle differences between that and the real thing. Looks like most of the supermini crop to be honest.

That green Fabia vRS looks very well;)

I'd consider myself badge neutral and have seriously considered the Octavia - but it's not the badge that would put me off it's the look of it. And the Fabia is the same.

Octavia and Fabia are both fairly rotten looking alright. Still, careful colour section makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id have to agree OP, ive no problem on the badges. They really really really need to improve on the design stakes and they would grab very much a larger market share.

It defies understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Replacing my current '04 Fabia vRS with an '11 Fabia vRS in Rallye Green...can't wait for it to arrive. And it doesn't look anything like the picture the OP posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Indeed it is, and VW are replacing it with a larger capacity engine that only has a turbocharger. They're talking about replacing it with a 1.6 turbo producing up to 180 bhp.

The lower output 122 bhp engine will continue, as that does not have a surpercharger, which the more powerful 1.4 TSI's have.
    Better still why not the 1.6 with a supercharger? Or even better a 2 litre NA?
    Oh I forgot, the emissions police:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

fletch wrote: »
    Replacing my current '04 Fabia vRS with an '11 Fabia vRS in Rallye Green...can't wait for it to arrive. And it doesn't look anything like the picture the OP posted.

Did you get anything off the list price?

No? Strange, is the pic the OP put up not a current Fabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

squod wrote: »
    It's ugly as sin.

My theory (which is mine) is that VW only let them make cars which are cheaper, better-built and better equipped than the equivalent VW as long as they make them ugly.

There has to be some reason for folks to buy a Passat instead of a Superb, a Golf instead of an Octavia, or in this case, paying 20% extra for a Polo GTi instead of a Fabia VRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Confab wrote: »
    Did you get anything off the list price?
    Yes... :) Bought mine off Paul in Annesley Williams and he did me a great deal.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    No? Strange, is the pic the OP put up not a current Fabia?
    It is yes but not the vRS. Drop into Annesley Williams, they've a silver one on demo with a black roof and dark chrome alloys, it looks a lot different to a standard Fabia!

Agree 100% with Zube,the big boss must insist they look awful.But the Fabia vRS destroys both the Golf and the rubbish Polo in most aspects except looks.:D

• Advertisement

Yes... :)
    It is yes but not the vRS. Drop into Annesley Williams, they've a silver one on demo with a black roof and dark chrome alloys, it looks a lot different to a standard Fabia

I actually won't drop into Annesley Williams, cheers though :D

the two yokes below look an awful lot similar to me :confused:
    (similarly rotten looking)
    New-Skoda-Fabia.jpg
    Cionád wrote: »
    SkodaFabiaRS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

tweedledee wrote: »
    Agree 100% with Zube,the big boss must insist they look awful.But the Fabia vRS destroys both the Golf and the rubbish Polo in most aspects except looks.:D

Are you comparing the VRS to a standard Golf or a Golf GTI? I'd struggle to come up with examples of where it destroys the GTI in most aspects tbh (except price obviously).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Brochure of the new Fabia RS here

It's a quite high sided car, so will always struggle to look "sporty".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Looks are subjective in any case. Some people like MG ZTs, others like vRS Fabias.

I like both :)

The Fabia looks better than the Polo GTI in my opinion. In any case you cant see what it looks like from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Absolutely disgusting looking car. I don't care that it's good value - it's pig ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Cionád wrote: »
    Looks are subjective in any case. Some people like MG ZTs, others like vRS Fabias.

I like both :)

The Fabia looks better than the Polo GTI in my opinion. In any case you cant see what it looks like from the inside.

I certainly can't agree with you here (granted it is just your opinion and mine :)). I think the new Polo is a lovely looking thing, the GTI even more so. Much sportier look too.

My theory (which is mine) is that VW only let them make cars which are cheaper, better-built and better equipped than the equivalent VW as long as they make them ugly.

There has to be some reason for folks to buy a Passat instead of a Superb, a Golf instead of an Octavia, or in this case, paying 20% extra for a Polo GTi instead of a Fabia VRs.

Agreed, i think that is more than likely the case.

The Golf is much better but very,very expensive.I was talking bout the Polo.Cheers.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

listermint wrote: »
    Agreed, i think that is more than likely the case.
    So basically the posers subsidize the enthusiasts? I can live with that.:)

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    So basically the posers subsidize the enthusiasts? I can live with that.:)

Have to disagree there, if a cars pig ugly its pig ugly. Theres plenty of fantastically maintaned and equally spec'd modified cars out there which you of course might think are as ugly as jap sin. But does this make it an enthusiasts car even if it looks like sh**e ?

I dont think so, poor design is poor design, I think what you were trying to say is badge snobbery rather than design snobbery?

Advertisement