Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback wanted: Adverts on this forum

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

A few users have said they're not a fan of the buying and selling of surfboards/other gear in the forum. Others are obviously making good use of the fact that we allow this.

Would people like to see things remain the way they are now? Should we create a subforum for buying and selling of boards? Or should we scrap on-forum advertising altogether and direct everyone to adverts.ie?

Opinions welcome, although please note that nothing said in this thread will be binding. Its ultimately up to the admins who run the site.

Ads in the surfing forum? 22 votes

Things are fine the way they are now.
    0% 0 votes
    We should create a subforum for buying/selling gear.
    27% 6 votes
    Get rid of ads from the surfing forum completely.
    72% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

A sub forum is the way to go, manged to shift a good few boards on this site, its very handy :D

That said I think your a bit harse on some surfers who are trying to shift boards on a personal basis(See Adventure Ones locked posts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Surfboards for sale need to be moved off the main forum.

Yeah, it's handy for those who want to buy and sell boards but it is diluting the main reason for the forum which is to exchange opinions, info and advice.

At the moment there are 7 boards for sale on the first page, 6 of those are all at the top. If it continues like this then the forum will never progress, it will just become known in the community as the place to offload a board.

Creating a subforum is a good idea as it will still continue to draw everyone into this forum hopefully keeping it alive.

Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Probably agree with a sub forum idea.

I wouldn't like to see it removed totally and limited to adverts.ie only.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Agree with a sub-forum, where you could put up a short post with a link to an adverts.ie ad with more info on the gear perhaps? Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Is a sub-forum necessary? Or would a sticky be enough to buy/sell/swap items? (like they do on the golf forum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

One more vote for the sticky. With rules e.g. one post, no discussion there, only PM for dealing, links only to boards friendly pages (adverts.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

This forum really isn't busy enough to say ads dilute the forum posts. I'm in favour of ads from private individuals appearing here. Whether that is in a sub forum or in the main section.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

This forum really isn't busy enough to say ads dilute the forum posts. I'm in favour of ads from private individuals appearing here.
    Agreed
    The forum really isnt busy enough to warrant taking away the ads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure you'll appreciate that it can sometimes be difficult to strike a good balance between allowing people to sell, and keeping the forum free of clutter. For the record, the policy of allowing only one ad per seller was in order to discourage commercial selling, which is not allowed under site wide rules.

Pity I didn't include a Sticky option in the poll, as most people who've posted here seem to be ok with that. On reflection I think it would be better than a subforum - it would keep all ads in the one place but make them more visible than they'd be in a subforum, which people wouldn't think to check. As long as there aren't tons of major objections, I'll go ahead and start a buying/selling sticky in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

cool with me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

No harm in giving the sticky option a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd go with the sub-forum option, no point going through list of old stuff that is probably sold or not what you are looking for, at least the old stuff will fall of the end of the list on a forum and you can ignore the ones you have no interest in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Let's try the sticky and see how it goes: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056164103

Advertisement