Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Swordfish (Cork)

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where i could buy a fillet of swordfish in Cork. I havnt checked the English market yet.

I paid €2.50 for a huge fillet of it in Spain only last week in Mercadona (Spanish equiv of Supervalu). So i am assuming the price could be double/triple that in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Damn, thought you meant the Travolta-Jackman-Berry "classic"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

basquille wrote: »
    Damn, thought you meant the Travolta-Jackman-Berry "classic"! :D

HA!!!!
    They were the results when i googled it, i just gave up then and said id ask on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have never seen Sword fillets here, only steaks.
    Fresh, maybe the English market. Frozen CX cash and carry are the best for frozen fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

The English markets fish area would definitely have them, or you could get frozen ones maybe in aldi or lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

I have shopped for fish in Spain recently and I think you can assume that if you can find swordfish fillet in Ireland you might pay up to ten times the price for it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Good fish in carrigaline is always worth a trip. Better prices by far compared to the Market

You want to know the really sickening thing about this?
    There are so many of them off the west coast that they are dying from old age. Ireland doesn't even have a quota for them.
    Several fishermen tried it but were stopped by the Dept of the Marine because Ireland has no quota.
    We could supply ourselves and Europe with Swordfish if we were allowed to fish them.
    Fishermen that catch Albacore tuna in the Autumn sometimes get them as bycatch, and are required to throw them back, how is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Its an amazing tasting fish. Drizzle a bit of extra virgin olice oil over it after its been pan seared and my god does it taste good. Id be tempted to buy a boat and go fishing :P

Hogzy wrote: »
    Its an amazing tasting fish. Drizzle a bit of extra virgin olice oil over it after its been pan seared and my god does it taste good. Id be tempted to buy a boat and go fishing :P
    Yep, its more like meat than fish.
    I love it pity I can't get it locally.

Advertisement