Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sky soccer lineup

• 26-01-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

With the sacking of Andy Gray and possibly Richard Keys who would you like to see replace them and lead a new sky soccer lineup.

As a presenter I would go for a Jeff Stelling or Helen Chamberlain. As pundits I think Robbie Savage, Neil Ruddock, John Hartson could do a good job.

As for the actual match commentry I think Martin Tyler is perfect and as an analyst Mattie Holland would be my choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

kakee wrote: »
    With the sacking of Andy Gray and possibly Richard Keys who would you like to see replace them and lead a new sky soccer lineup.

As a presenter I would go for a Jeff Stelling or Helen Chamberlain. As pundits I think Robbie Savage, Neil Ruddock, John Hartson could do a good job.

As for the actual match commentry I think Martin Tyler is perfect and as an analyst Mattie Holland would be my choice.

From sexist to xenophobic, not sure that would be a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Gordan Strachan if available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

dunphy,gilesy, billo and brady. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Robbie Savage.... Good Jesus no.

As per main co-commentator, I'd give it to Don Goodman myself. Quality commentator imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really think Sky would do itself a favour by completely overhaulling its team to one with a pro-feminist agenda. The likes of Germaine Greer, Julie Birchall and Nell Mccafferty would be excellent and would show how serious Sky were about stamping out sexism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Jamie Redknapp will become a lot more prominent for Sky Sports moving forward. He's embedded in people's heads as being part of the Sky brand, he can sell other products (his Nintendo ads, sports quiz show on Sky 1) and he's good looking, so will appeal to females also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Charlotte Jackson should have some input anyway, would be a good presenter if they fancy a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

already under discussion in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056159367

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

keano_afc wrote: »
    From sexist to xenophobic, not sure that would be a good start.

you imply Grey and Keys werent Xenophobes? Did you ever watch hem?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Leve Jeff Stelling on Soccer Saturday anyhow. Show would be much poorer without him on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

5starpool wrote: »
    Leve Jeff Stelling on Soccer Saturday anyhow. Show would be much poorer without him on it.

Absolutely !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

give us stelling and kamara.

redknapp can head off to setanta,i hear they are pretty big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Didi Hamann needs more airtime.

Fizman wrote: »
    Didi Hamann needs more airtime.

Ozzie and Didi reunited again. i can see it now aston villa are playing

Ozzie (with drained expression on face) "Asfor 'eshkey.....jeezzzzzzzzzzzz"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Roy Chubby Brown and Katherine Lynch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I don't watch much Sky so i'm just hoping they get someone who knows European football in to anchor their Champions League show who isn't a BPL pitbull. The guests on the Champions League show are generally quite good too except for Gray and Redknapp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Just as long as that cúnt Andy Townsend is nowhere near it, I'm not too fussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Four sky threads on the first page now, take it to the fscking television forum

CiaranC wrote: »
    Four sky threads on the first page now, take it to the fscking television forum
    Sky SPORTS.

Don't want to read it, don't open it, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Sky SPORTS.

Don't want to read it, don't open it, :rolleyes:

Sports forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No more Ozzy Ardiles. Jeff Stelling and any of the Gillette Soccer Saturday crew.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Soccer pundits :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Doubt they'll get somebody in like Gray again. As in, somebody who's at every big game and who does commentary AND analysis. they'll probably get a few extra familiar faces in and have Redknapp as the mainstay.

Hate to say it, but we could see the return of Ian Wright. Sky will see he ticks a lot of boxes re: their demographic, i.e. he's a lowest common denominator option, and he's already been employed by them. Fierce Arsenal bias though.

If they are going for a straight-up replacement for Gray, Jim Beglin might make the move, as he's done commentary and would be capable of studio analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

Chris Kamara all the way. A very intelligent speaker I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

They should just get all of their hot Sky Sports News presenters to do the football; Georgie Thompson, Natalie Sawyer, Charlotte Jackson etc... With low-cut tops and short skirts :D

Commentators.. anyone but Alan Smith. Christ, he's dull. The quintessential George Graham player, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sky's agenda is not to analyse matches, but to advertise their company and the Premier League.

To that end I will expect Redknapp to get the nod and anyone who cribs and moans about this, but still watches their pre/post/inter game studio broadcasts, is a sheep.

You want analysis, go to zonalmarking.net or sites/publications of its ilk.

You want people in shiney suits dishing out platitudes while jerking off BSkyB, watch Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Guillem Balague is by far the best pundit on Sky Sports and luckily he's also a pundit on the best football league on Sky Sports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

The hilarity if Helen got the job after what Gray was sacked for would be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Sarah jane Mee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Guillem Balague is by far the best pundit on Sky Sports and luckily he's also a pundit on the best football league on Sky Sports!

Seems a bit like a Spain's answer to Del Boy Trotter tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Love Del Boy Trotter. Hate Guillem Balague.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

It will be a former pro, the main football coverage on sky never has a journalist give analysis.

I suspect it will be someone nobody expects, a pro coming to the end of his career who has one eye on a media career like Linekar did.

Someone like Michael Owen. Ticks all the boxes, Former High level England international, inoffensive, middle of the road and appeals to the ladies aswell to a certain extent.

As a previous poster said, they probably will cut back on the Andy Gray type technical analysis and will probably just add a couple of regular faces to their general punditry team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Dream line up for me would be James Richardson as the main anchor playing devils advocate (not just being a smarmy host offering no insight), Dunphy putting the boot into everything, Roy Keane trying to tell it like it is, and Glen Hoddle providing tactical insight (probably the best ive seen on Sky for spotting tactical flaws in teams set up, as he sees it on the day).

It would be funny to see Dunphys lack of proper knowledge on players outside of England and Barca/Real highlighted by James Richardson, who can take the p*ss with the best of them :D

Richardson
    Keane
    Dunphy
    Hoddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would love to see Marcotti end up in the mix (though again won't happen as he isn't an ex-pro). Him, with Richardson anchoring, and Keane as co-pundit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He's another bullsh*tter tbh. His "scoops" are laughable at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Someone like Kevin Phillips or Michael Owen will become more prominent and will probably become full time pundits when they retire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A new presenter should be someone 'safe'. Knowledge of football is not needed. It's a bit like Motoring lads moaning about Top Gear.

The guy who presents on SSN every so often and some of the lesser matches whose name I can't remember would be a prime candidate I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

lads twitter saying he has resigned from sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Not Helen Chamberlain please God no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What about Paul Dempsey and Pat Fat Dolan :D
    Seriously though,Dempsey is quite decent as a presenter and he used to work for Sky before .
    Sky will play it very safe and may even feel compelled to give the job to a woman :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I dunno bout anyone else but when arsenal are on, i turn on at 745, turn off at half time, back for second half and straight off when whistle blows. I get team news online and watch post match interviews online.
    Cannot stick any pundits telling me what to think.
    Ill make up my own mind.
    I will seriously miss tyler gray partnership commentary though.
    They were class together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd say it's already decided who will replace Keys. The guy they brought in from GMTV - Ben Shephard.

38732_417959513761_10911153761_4437730_1615857_n.jpg

I don't like the guy personally but he fits Sky's desire to be seen as trendy and mainstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Yip.
    No problem replacing keys really though is it?

Dunno how theyll replace gray. I dont think they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Big Ron ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

As much as I know AC Jimbo wouldnt touch the job Id live to see him on the telly again. James Richardson for leading egg roll,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Savman wrote: »
    Big Ron ftw.

ron_atkinson_365x470.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

No better man
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    ron_atkinson_365x470.jpg

"There's nobody fitter at his age, except maybe Raquel Welch."
    (Ron commenting on 39 year old Scot Gordon Strachan)

''Defence? he thinks it's something you put around the pitch.''
    (Ron on Barcelona's Luis Van Gaal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Daily Mail have an exclusive saying that Grays replacement will be......wait for it 'Pool fans.......Gary Neville!
    Please God let this be true :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

probably venables and stelling

• Advertisement
Advertisement