Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Dispute

Options
  • 26-01-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

This may have been answered elsewhere but I can't find it by searching.

Is the Aer Lingus cabin crew dispute limited only to Dublin based staff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

No

just heard on RTE, that a couple of flights from Cork are cancelled today.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Anyone affected by this, remember you should be covered by Regulation 261. If bumped to a later flight - you get food, drink and two free phone calls/e-mails. If bumped to a flight next day - you also get hotel and ground transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

My original reason for asking is that I tend to fly into and out of Cork.

With regards to entitlements from the airline, I work overseas and my home leave is limited, so I'd rather not be sitting in an overseas airport/hotel counting down the number of leave days I'm losing. If I can't fly then I'm better off delaying my leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dabbido

Hi guys

I am booked with ebookers to fly from Dublin to Heathrow with Aer Lingus, and then on to Kuala Lumpur and finally Sydney with Malaysian Airlines next Wednesday.

Would anyone know what my rights are, were I to miss my connecting flights if my Dublin flight was cancelled or bumped to a later time as a result of this dispute?

I'm getting fairly worried about this possibility now, as my stopover times are tight enough as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 magheraclogher

Hi all! I'm in the same boat, supposedly flying Cork/Heathrow on tuesday 7am with Aer Lingus and onward to LA/Sydney - all booked with Qantas. I'm worried now as only one flight a day Cork/heathrow - should I book with ryanair to stanstead on monday and stay over in london till my flight tuesday:mad:

• Advertisement

should I book with ryanair to stanstead on monday and stay over in london till my flight tuesday:mad:

If you do that, you are not flying to LA or Sydney, guaranteed. When you have a booking with a legacy airline, such as Quantas, missing one segment means the entire rest of the ticket is canceled automatically. So if you do not show for the Aer Lingus flight, that is it, you just forfeit your entire ticket.

You will have to go with what you booked. If it is all on one ticket, the airline has to make sure you get to the destination. Should one of the segments be canceled or delayed, they have to adjust and sort you out.

Remember your Regulation 261 entitlements. If you are delayed overnight, ask for a free hotel.

undo wrote: »
    If you do that, you are not flying to LA or Sydney, guaranteed. When you have a booking with a legacy airline, such as Quantas, missing one segment means the entire rest of the ticket is canceled automatically. So if you do not show for the Aer Lingus flight, that is it, you just forfeit your entire ticket.

You will have to go with what you booked. If it is all on one ticket, the airline has to make sure you get to the destination. Should one of the segments be canceled or delayed, they have to adjust and sort you out.

Remember your Regulation 261 entitlements. If you are delayed overnight, ask for a free hotel.

Hi undo, having booked with ebookers, would that leave me in the same position as the above poster, meaning Aer Lingus would have to ensure I make my connecting flight in Heathrow? :confused:

Hi Undo, I appreciate your advice - thanks so much! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

dabbido wrote: »
    Hi undo, having booked with ebookers, would that leave me in the same position as the above poster, meaning Aer Lingus would have to ensure I make my connecting flight in Heathrow? :confused:

I intentionally did not reply to your post - because your situation is less clear to me and I did not want to be giving any wrong advice. If your flights are ticketed as consecutive segments of a single journey on one airline's tickets then this airline is responsible for getting you from start to end. Simple. If ebookers sold you such a single ticket, the airline has to look after you. It would make no difference where you got the ticket from.

Where it gets interesting is if you have two separate tickets, issued by different airlines, with ebookers stitching it all into a single trip. I simply do not know whether the usual airline regulations apply (with ebookers taking the place of the plating airline) or whether the trip is subject to some kind of different rules. Most definitely the best thing to do is to find out beforehand, just in case disaster strikes: Check the terms and conditions that you got with your booking and ticket; if not certain, give ebookers a ring. It will cost you only a little effort and can save you lots of stress and hassle if one of your flights does end up canceled or delayed.

Sorry I cannot be more specific. I really do not want to be telling you anything that might end up being wrong.

undo wrote: »
    I intentionally did not reply to your post - because your situation is less clear to me and I did not want to be giving any wrong advice. If your flights are ticketed as consecutive segments of a single journey on one airline's tickets then this airline is responsible for getting you from start to end. Simple. If ebookers sold you such a single ticket, the airline has to look after you. It would make no difference where you got the ticket from.

Where it gets interesting is if you have two separate tickets, issued by different airlines, with ebookers stitching it all into a single trip. I simply do not know whether the usual airline regulations apply (with ebookers taking the place of the plating airline) or whether the trip is subject to some kind of different rules. Most definitely the best thing to do is to find out beforehand, just in case disaster strikes: Check the terms and conditions that you got with your booking and ticket; if not certain, give ebookers a ring. It will cost you only a little effort and can save you lots of stress and hassle if one of your flights does end up canceled or delayed.

Sorry I cannot be more specific. I really do not want to be telling you anything that might end up being wrong.

:pac: Its fairly confusing alright, but thanks for the reply.

Yes i phoned ebookers earlier and all I could make out from their customer services agent's horrifically-broken English was that I should wait to see if the Aer Lingus flight is cancelled first... She couldn't tell me what would happen if the flight was cancelled meaning I miss my connecting flights. So I suppose I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

I think I'll phone them again tomorrow and try to get speaking to a different rep!

Edit: They're having a meeting tomorrow so hopefully the dispute is resolved before Wednesday.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0127/aerlingus.html

• Advertisement

Edit: They're having a meeting tomorrow so hopefully the dispute is resolved before Wednesday.

Don't read too much into that. They are talking - while the strike continues :(. My own flight is on Monday. I am actually fairly sure I will end up getting bumped to Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am (hopefully) going to Paris next Wednesday from Dublin too! :(

Bah.. our flight to Paris on Wednesday was cancelled.

Was offered an earlier flight at 6.50am or later flight at 6.10pm. Took the earlier flight.

But losing out on my Aer Arann flight up to Dublin, plus need to find some accommodation.

Pissed! :(

When did you find out your flight was cancelled?

The Aer Lingus website is only showing flight info up to Tuesday.

When did you find out your flight was cancelled?

The Aer Lingus website is only showing flight info up to Tuesday.
    They sent me an e-mail and text message today (less than 48 hours before the flight).

See screencap of e-mail below:

picture1tyb.png

Cheers for the reply.

Well I haven't heard anything from them, so hopefully I'm not getting cancelled!

Cheers for the reply.

Well I haven't heard anything from them, so hopefully I'm not getting cancelled!
    If you haven't heard by now, I'd say you'll be fine.

:PIf you booked through a travel agency they will know which flights are being cancelled up to a week in advance. I have had that on good authority. I'm heading off in the morning for LA from Cork - everything crossed!!!

Advertisement