Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sky+HD box (Amstrad DRX890) switching itself on?

• 26-01-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

I had Sky installed in the last few days, but have noticed that the box (Amstrad DRX890) seems to be able to switch itself on. The box has three power modes:

1. Normal operation (green light on box) for normal viewing.
    2. Standby (orange light on box), can't view programs but the box can still record, download Sky Anytime stuff etc.
    3. Off (red light on box), box is plugged in but is switched off. From the manual it looks like the box can't do anything in this mode, minimal power used just to light the red LED.

I've noticed though that if I switch it to 'Off' at night, it could be on 'Standby' or 'On' the next day. No overnight recordings are set.

Anyone know what's going on here? The only thing I could think of is that it isn't connected to a phoneline, but as a single-box installation this shouldn't matter. The obvious solution is to plug the box out at night to save power, but it seems a bit drastic!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's probably recording shows for the Sky Anytime service. In reality, there is probably little difference beween the "standby" and "off" modes you describe.

I have a Sky+ box (not HD) and it only has two modes (on / standby).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

That's probably it, though I'm a bit surprised it would go from "off" to "standby" just for Anytime stuff - thought these would be downloaded as low-priority recordings while the box is on "standby" or "on".

The blurb in the manual says that the "off" state is for compliance with new power-saving regulations (needs to have a mode that uses <1W), and this is their workaround for it. The box is basically useless in the "off" state, so I can't think of another reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Well, the hard drive has to spin up for recordings and that would use >1w.

It's essentially working as hard as it normally would when on - except there is no output to the screen.

Maybe it should revert back to the "off" state after the Anytime recording has finished and spin down the drive.

There's an option in the menu to disable the Anytime service - although it doesn't allow you to reclaim any of the hard drive space reserved for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Maybe the red and orange lights are transposed. Try leaving it with the orange light on and see if it records anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Started happening to me after they rolled out the new Darwin codebase that activated the ethernet port on the box. Before that, the box would stay fully off until you turned it back on.

One of the many bugs in the updated software obviously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement