Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which mobile network?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I know this could belong in the Mobiles & PDA forum but I think it would be best here(?).

I'll be over in Oz in a while and will need to pick up a sim-card. When I was there a number of years ago I had a Vodafone sim which was a 'max-cap' ie. top up by $50 and they give you $150 or something like that? I've been told they are not doing this any more however.

I have an unlocked iPhone and use the internet a lot - is there tariff or network anyone would recommend?

Preferably PAYG but if there's any good bill pay offers going I'd be open to that...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

well over there u have the likes of vodafone,o2,3 and optus etc.now these r only good in the populated areas like big towns and cities and some rural areas.but if u want a network that will work everywhere and i mean all over u shud be lookin at gettin "telstra" then

MODYou have been warned before over text speak. Official warning given

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There's no O2 in Aus.

They go as follows in order of quality and price:
    Telstra
    Optus
    Three/Vodafone (same company but still separate networks)

All others are MVNOs piggy backing on networks of above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Aside from cost, you need to consider coverage. I suppose the importance of this depends on what kind of travelling you're planning on doing. If you're staying in cities and bigger towns every network is good. In the more remote areas, only certain networks will work. I spent a few days in a little town where everybody was with Telstra (I think) for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Macers wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I know this could belong in the Mobiles & PDA forum but I think it would be best here(?).

I'll be over in Oz in a while and will need to pick up a sim-card. When I was there a number of years ago I had a Vodafone sim which was a 'max-cap' ie. top up by $50 and they give you $150 or something like that? I've been told they are not doing this any more however.

I have an unlocked iPhone and use the internet a lot - is there tariff or network anyone would recommend?

Preferably PAYG but if there's any good bill pay offers going I'd be open to that...

There is certainly the 'caps' around, they are fantastic value IMO and they even include data now.

Optus - Have a $40 with 1Gb data and $600 credit

Vodafone - $49 for $350 credit + $350 vodafone - Vodafone credit + 3Gb data

In terms of coverage/network quality Telstra are the best, Optus, vodafone but telstra can be expensive

I'm with Optus/Virgin mobile and it's a good middle ground in terms of price / coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

ON YOUR LIFE DO NOT GO WITH VODAFONE, they are absolutely brutal
    out here. Their 3G service is comparable to a 14k dial up modem and thats
    in the CBD. I would recommend Telstra or Optus but defo stay away from
    Vodafone. I'm currently trying to get out of my contract with them.

Have a look at this :)
    http://www.vodafail.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Do go near 3 either. Feckin black spots everywhere :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Three has been more than sufficient for me with the exception of some instances in metropolitan areas (Newcastle & Ballina) where I would have expected to have coverage. In those instances you should be able to roam onto Telstra and pay a little bit extra for your calls. In some really rural areas only Telstra Next G will be available. If you want gold plated service then you will pay for it. Vodafone / Three should be sufficient for most though.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

Currently with Three at the moment, living in Central-ish Sydney, and the coverage is fine! Sometimes takes a while to pick up a 3G signal on the iPhone but other than that I've never had any problems! $29 for $150 worth of credit over 30 days.

I'm heading out to Griffith tomorrow however, to get the farming work started, so I may/may not run into a few problems. Fingers crossed I do.

A little OT, but if you're planning on picking up mobile broadband, don't go with Vodafone. I'm not looking forward to seeing my broadband signal tomorrow. Pray for Mojo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

myself and all my friends are CRAZYJOHNS.

you buy lets say.. 29 dollars.. you get 280 dollars..
    or something like that..

free calls to crazyjohns customers..

35c msgs tho..
    25 during off peak hours.

steep prices. but you get so much credit you never need worry too much.

Advertisement