Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnamese spring rolls (Nêmes) in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has come across Vietnamese spring rolls anywhere in Dublin? They are like regular spring rolls, although the 'roll' itself isn't as light as the ones I've ever had here. They come with a sweet chili-esque sauce, and you wrap them in mint leaves?

I had them recently in Paris, called nêmes there, and I've had an almighty craving for them since! Especially now - I'm starving!

There doesn't seem to be many Vietnamese restaurants in Dublin so haven't come across them yet so any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

saba do them, but the skin is not cooked. Are these the ones you had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

Hmmm I'm not sure but I'll definitely be trying them out!

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

cherryred wrote: »
    saba do them, but the skin is not cooked. Are these the ones you had?

weird but those are called rouleau de printemps in France, litterally meaning spring roll. they are served cold with a prawn and lots of herbs fillings. delicious.

the one the OP is looking for is basically the vietnamese version of your normal spring roll, where a big difference is the is the pastry they use. i haven't seen them in Dublin, but they're very easy to make. if you want a good recipe let me know, i used to make them all the time. they're usually served with fish sauce though, but eaten with salad and mint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

i haven't seen them in Dublin, but they're very easy to make. if you want a good recipe let me know, i used to make them all the time. they're usually served with fish sauce though, but eaten with salad and mint.

Yes! That's exactly what they are like. Hmm I'm hungry thinking about them! I would love the recipe and if I can actually pull off making them then my friends would be VERY impressed - thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 vinnyme

A rouleau de Printemps is a spring roll but a Nem is Cha-Ghio. It's usually Pork, Crab, egg, wood ear mushroom, black mushroom, carrot, bean sprout, vermicelli rice noodle (angel hair) and fresh coriander wrapped in small rice wraps (not wheat - rice - it gives it that nice, chewy texture)

You shallow fry them and then its eaten with fresh salad, mint and nuoc mam.

Here's the best recipe I've found so far. I vary the type of mushrooms I use and add 1 pack of crab meat to the pork for that umami fishy flavor.

http://www.theravenouscouple.com/2012/05/cha-gio-vietnamese-egg-rolls.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This thread is two years old.
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement