Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poll: Was it right to sack the Sky Sports presenter?

• 26-01-2011 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I'm looking for Christian only responses, so the poll is public.

Do you think it was right to sack the presenter for his comments?

EDIT: I now realise that it wasn't just his remarks to his workmate, but also smart remarks made to a fellow presenter who was a female celebrity that caused him to be sacked. The questions can be adapted by the user to reflect this. I can't change poll options at this point.

I voted no. I don't watch football, I don't follow it at all. I don't like lewd or smart remarks, but at the same time think it is a bit much to be sacked for that. A simple warning would suffice but this is about PC correctness and Sky being seen to act.

Should the presenter be sacked for his comments? 6 votes

Yes, a serious offense against Political Correctness ought to be punished
    0%
    No, he made some private comments to his workmate.
    0%
    I don't know what to think.
    100%
    McCalvinforce elevenThe VoltCokaColumboTecloXizors Palace 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

I dont see the relevance of this being a Christian Only poll - it would be better in after hours imo

However, all Christians are called to guard their tongues and actions lest something they do causes someone else to stumble in their faith (sorry, cant find the Bible verse right now)

This is not a matter of political correctness, its a matter of basic respect and courtesy for fellow human beings, and public figures have a heighted responsibility in this issue.

If derogatory comments were made about Christians, Gays, Lesbians, Atheists, Accountants* they would be equally unacceptable

(* Monty python fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

I'm looking for Christian only responses, so the poll is public.

Do you think it was right to sack the presenter for his comments?

EDIT: I now realise that it wasn't just his remarks to his workmate, but also smart remarks made to a fellow presenter who was a female celebrity that caused him to be sacked. The questions can be adapted by the user to reflect this. I can't change poll options at this point.

I voted no. I don't watch football, I don't follow it at all. I don't like lewd or smart remarks, but at the same time think it is a bit much to be sacked for that. A simple warning would suffice but this is about PC correctness and Sky being seen to act.

What incident are you referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of this to the Christianity Forum at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

First and foremost, Sky needs to protect it's image. In light of what has been leaked to the public domain i think his position was untenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Xizors Palace

I don't know what to think.
    I just find the whole thing very hypocritical and self-righteous. You can do whatever you want (abortion, fornication, immoral living and entertainments, impure magazine photoshoots, drinking bouts, drugs etc...) but the only 'sin' is to say something that is politically incorrect, but which most of the people, men at least, are probably thinking anyway and which sums up the whole rotten enterprise. The whole sports and celebrity worlds are rotten and corrupt to the core - why pounce on this one incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I just find the whole thing very hypocritical and self-righteous. You can do whatever you want (abortion, fornication, immoral living and entertainments, drinking bouts etc...) but the only 'sin' is to say something that is politically incorrect
    He wasn't drunk at work though. He is perfectly entitled to live his life however he feels outside of work, it's how he conducts himself at work that matters

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yeah he was right to get the sack. One slip up is excusable but it seems as if Andy Gray was making a habit of it.
    homer911 wrote: »
    If derogatory comments were made about Christians, Gays, Lesbians, Atheists, Accountants* they would be equally unacceptable (* Monty python fan)

I love the Monty Python accountants jokes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

We aren't allowed have Christian only threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement