Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Politics

Options
  • 26-01-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Thread is for a few things, firstly a quick poll based on declared candidates for Carlow Kilkenny.

Secondly I want to get a Blog site going for the Election, is anyone interested in helping out by posting updates/articles?

Vote no1 81 votes

FF Bobby Aylward*
    0% 0 votes
    FF John McGuinness*
    1% 1 vote
    FF Jennifer Murnane O'Connor
    2% 2 votes
    FG Patrick Deering
    17% 14 votes
    FG Phil Hogan
    12% 10 votes
    FG John Paul Phelan
    4% 4 votes
    Greens Mary White
    11% 9 votes
    Lab Des Hurley
    6% 5 votes
    Lab Ann Phelan
    11% 9 votes
    SF John Cassin
    4% 4 votes
    SF Kathleen Funchion
    23% 19 votes
    ULA Conor Mac Liam
    4% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If that's choice...
    Spoil?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

who's missing exactly? and how does a spoiled vote help anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thats the current list I have but I'm sure a few independents will try and make the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Just looking at the poll results i see the Sinn Feiners are out in full force :D.

I dunno why Carlow and Kilkenny are not separated for the General election at least Carlow would be guaranteed a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

Well, I just looked up Pat Deering (FG) on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAtYZdT3Xtk&feature=player_embedded

From 4 minutes in.

What's the opposite of 'charisma'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Dj wrote: »
    Just looking at the poll results i see the Sinn Feiners are out in full force :D.

I dunno why Carlow and Kilkenny are not separated for the General election at least Carlow would be guaranteed a TD.

Would require an extra seat due to there being no 2 seat constituencies, so there would be two 3 seaters and over representation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

Would require an extra seat due to there being no 2 seat constituencies, so there would be two 3 seaters and over representation.

I'd have to disagree Tonynator.....No extra seat required, just transfer a TD from Laois-Offaly along with the part of Laois that is in Carlow Town's economic area. Do the same for South Kildare and return the exiles from Rathvilly. Hey Presto, 3 seat constituency with no extra TDs. Carlow town is big enough and Carlow County deserves its own political sphere. Local people and politicians should be demanding that the Boundary Commission address Carlow's disgraceful treatment. The only thing stopping Carlow from having proper representation is a lack of will to fight for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Carlows population is 50349. Kilkennys is 87558.

Carlow is not under represented in the constituency in terms of population, yes it's smaller than Kilkenny, but there were two carlow TD's voted in last time, which means the county is well represented.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

two flyers through the door-no-one even rang the bell, they may have heard of me....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'd have to disagree Tonynator.....No extra seat required, just transfer a TD from Laois-Offaly along with the part of Laois that is in Carlow Town's economic area. Do the same for South Kildare and return the exiles from Rathvilly. Hey Presto, 3 seat constituency with no extra TDs. Carlow town is big enough and Carlow County deserves its own political sphere. Local people and politicians should be demanding that the Boundary Commission address Carlow's disgraceful treatment. The only thing stopping Carlow from having proper representation is a lack of will to fight for it.

the process of setting electoral boundaries, rather than using uniform geographic standards is known as what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

the process of setting electoral boundaries, rather than using uniform geographic standards is known as what?

That would be gerrymandering......

Do I win a prize ..huh, huh, do I win a prize ??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We already have far too many TD's and constituencies though. What I find far more absurd is how west of Ireland places like Kerry are divided into two and over represented. i.e. 6 seats when the population would dictate only 5 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi guys
    Let's try keep this on topic and associated with the Carlow region. There is a specific forum for political debate/comment (link) and an associated sub forum for the 2011 election (link)

Regards
    Tommy

There are many ways to construct electoral districts. One way is Gerrymandering,as you allude to, which requires an ulterior motive. I don't think creating an electoral district for the Carlow area is gerrymandering, because there is no ulterior motive in providing it. The only purpose of a Carlow constituency would be to provide political representation to a population center. I don't think that a Carlow 3 seater- Laois Offaly 4 seater would benefit any party more than the current situation, but it would provide a political base for Carlow to develop. That is my only point. What are the 'uniform geographic standards' that you think are being used? I think you will find the Boundary Commission has already crossed over most of them already.

Carlow is not under represented in the constituency in terms of population, yes it's smaller than Kilkenny, but there were two carlow TD's voted in last time, which means the county is well represented.

Hi, Tony, those figures reflect County Populations. The population of County Carlow is 50K. Kilkenny city is located in the center of Kilkenny County with all of its catchment area within the Kilkenny County area. Significant sections of Laois and Kidare are within Carlow town's catchment area, but the population of those areas is not counted as being attached to Carlow county. Businesses and national chains recognise this and locate in Carlow because they claim that Carlow town has a catchment population of 100K. My point is that the Carlow area ought to be a political center because it is an economic and population center.

Carlow wasn't represented in 1997-2002 Government and it could easily happen again.

FF Bobby Aylward* KK
    FF John McGuinness* KK
    FG John Paul Phelan KK
    FG Phil Hogan KK
    SF Kathleen Funchion KK
    Lab Ann Phelan KK
    ULA Conor Mac Liam KK

FG Patrick Deering CW
    Greens Mary White CW
    FF Jennifer Murnane O'Connor CW
    Lab Des Hurley CW
    SF John Cassin CW

Just wanted to break it down between Carlow and Kilkenny candidates please correct me if any of them are wrong.
    The way i see it Deering and Cassin probably have the best chance out of the Carlow candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Take Back Carlow Kilkenny

Carlow wasn't represented in 1997-2002 Government and it could easily happen again.

If MJ Nolan and Mary White were considered to be people who represented Carlow, I give up now. Carlow hasn't had a proper representative for a seriously long time.Those two were only there in spirit and to serve self interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

If MJ Nolan and Mary White were considered to be people who represented Carlow, I give up now. Carlow hasn't had a proper representative for a seriously long time.Those two were only there in spirit and to serve self interest.
    Agree totally, but it would be nice to have a good TD from carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

Agree. Great man for taking credit for things the bold MJ. Did **** all. When I asked here if anyone could name a single thing he had done for Carlow, tumbleweed blew across the Board. Carlow may as well have elected a fish tank. At least they look nice.

As for Mary White. I don't think the people of Carlow will every forgive her for supporting the old folks medical card fiasco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I can't believe there's so many supporters of <snip> in Carlow.

testicle wrote: »
    I can't believe there's so many supporters of <snip> in Carlow.

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

imo none of the carlow candidates deserve a vote.

ive never seen any of them doing anything good for carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

FF Bobby Aylward* KK
    FF John McGuinness* KK
    FG John Paul Phelan KK
    FG Phil Hogan KK
    SF Kathleen Funchion KK
    Lab Ann Phelan KK
    ULA Conor Mac Liam KK

FG Patrick Deering CW
    Greens Mary White CW
    FF Jennifer Murnane O'Connor CW
    Lab Des Hurley CW
    SF John Cassin CW

Just wanted to break it down between Carlow and Kilkenny candidates please correct me if any of them are wrong.
    The way i see it Deering and Cassin probably have the best chance out of the Carlow candidates

You have ommited Noel Walsh - Independent candidate based in Kikkenny!

Despite my username, I do now live in Carlow town and reguardless of the quality of candidates representing Carlow, I will vote for Carlow candidates and ONLY Carlow candidates (Not all of them though) and I would encourage others to do likewise - Even if you only vote on a Party level rather than an individual level....and many would say, voting on an individual local level is half of what's wrong with our political system anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Agree totally, but it would be nice to have a good TD from carlow.

Why, it should not matter. lets try and get away from this parish pump politics. We have had MJ Nolan as a Carlow representative for years and he has been a laughable disgrace. We are electing these people to deal with national issues so there is no reason for us to pick a Carlow candidate over a Kilkenny one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why, it should not matter. lets try and get away from this parish pump politics. We have had MJ Nolan as a Carlow representative for years and he has been a laughable disgrace. We are electing these people to deal with national issues so there is no reason for us to pick a Carlow candidate over a Kilkenny one.
    In an ideal world, yes, but this is Ireland. See how Willie O Dea is so popular?It's a bit like taking a stand on health insurance as immoral (using it to skip the queue) but if everyone else does...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

any word on independant candidates for carlow/kilkenny. i dont think i can give any of the parties my vote - if theres no decent independants running ill have to go for sinn fein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

sonic85 wrote: »
    any word on independant candidates for carlow/kilkenny. i dont think i can give any of the parties my vote - if theres no decent independants running ill have to go for sinn fein

I don't believe that there are any Independent candidates declared in Carlow/Kilkenny.

Conor MacLiam is running in the Carlow Kilkenny Constituency for the ULA /SP close as you'll get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

had a look around some local websites though and found these on KCLRs site:

Independent:

Noel Walsh (kk)
    Ramie Leahy (kk)

my old man listens to KCLR most days and heard an independant candidate on sue nunns show last week that he reckons sounds like a good bet. hard to know

Advertisement