Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Politics

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

davidoco wrote: »
    10 pm on Saturday night. I keep resfreshing this rte page waiting to see an x beside M white's name. I can then safely go to bed be knowing that this country is a little bit safer without that woman on Kildare St

You can go to bed now. She's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Nobody else think that in a 5 seat constituency, only 1 person will be elected from Carlow?

Is that due to low voter turnout in Carlow or that Kilkenny should be a stand alone constituency?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/carlow-kilkenny.html

This is turning into a fascinating finish. A lot of change can happen yet.

1. FG
    2. FG
    3. FF
    4. Lab
    5. FG

That is how the the poles are standing at the moment, but 2 x SF and 1 X Lab will have to be allocated before final places are known. Will be interesting to see how this goes later on today.

Most of Des Hurley's will go to Ann Phelan presumably. Kathleen Funchion could go anywhere I presume. I don't think John Cassin's have been transferred yet.

Pat Deering is 2000 votes behind Phelan & McGuiness, so hopefully he gets a lot of the Carlow transfers.

Very open still

TaosHum wrote: »
    Nobody else think that in a 5 seat constituency, only 1 person will be elected from Carlow?

Is that due to low voter turnout in Carlow or that Kilkenny should be a stand alone constituency?

Who knows how it will turn out or what will happen in the future. We have far too many standing TD's for the size of the country. The numbers really ought to be cut - no idea though if they would rearrange constituencies for this though. We have a weird form of proportional representation that is more like PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Count 9 and still no one has been elected

• Advertisement

Count 10....still no one has been elected. Ann Phelan is top, and Jennifer Murnane is gone (:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

count 11 now according to RTE and still nobody elected !!

still no one elected after 11th count, kathleen funchion's vote is to be distributed now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Kathleen FUNCHION now eliminated and still nobody elected, looks like Ann Phelan will get through on next round though..

looking very good for Pat Deering also, he got a sizable transfer from Jennifer murnane o'connor.

tommycahir wrote: »
    looking very good for Pat Deering also, he got a sizable transfer from Jennifer murnane o'connor.

hopefully he gets a seat as he's the only carlow candidate left isnt he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

tommycahir wrote: »
    Kathleen FUNCHION now eliminated and still nobody elected, looks like Ann Phelan will get through on next round though..

Everybody who's getting through will get through in the next round - it's the last round.

Everybody who's getting through will get through in the next round - it's the last round.

i think Tommy ment that Ann Phelan will get elected, there are 6 candidates left fighting for 5 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

Carlow nationalist are saying Deering will get 750 votes from Funchion and Alwyard will get about 1000. So Deering should hang on. Probably will be a surplus to be distributed before its finished though.

bloody heck - Ann Phelan has jumped up to the top of the count - that is incredible, it must be all the votes from Des Hurley & the SF candidates. She has gained 4000+ votes to her original first preference votes.

The two FFers have gotten more transfers that the two leading FGers - which is strange and is going against the run in the country

Pat Deering will be going in for Carlow - none of Kathleen Funchion's votes will be transfered to FF's Bobby Aylward

Irish voting system is crazy as Ann Phelan is likely to be the only one who will have the quota to be elected straight out as over 12291.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep, all elected now, Phelan, McGuinness, Hogan, JP Phelan and Deering all in now. Great vote management by FG and hopefully a senior ministry which is very positive for the Constituency indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

So 4-1 for Kilkenny and all we have is Deering. Bad election result for Carlow...but i suppose as long as we are lumped in with a bigger co that will happen. No other Cw candidate even came near being in contention :(

Stevecw wrote: »
    So 4-1 for Kilkenny and all we have is Deering. Bad election result for Carlow...but i suppose as long as we are lumped in with a bigger co that will happen. No other Cw candidate even came near being in contention :(

Part of that though was MJ Nolan retired (who knows if he would have gotten voted in though), there was no one to pick up his votes. And other part was the serious shift towards Labour, Hurley was never going to get the support to get in, Phelan was going to pick up all of his votes.

There was not another serious candidate from Carlow. Although I am not sure where the SFer was from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Part of that though was MJ Nolan retired (who knows if he would have gotten voted in though), there was no one to pick up his votes. And other part was the serious shift towards Labour, Hurley was never going to get the support to get in, Phelan was going to pick up all of his votes.

There was not another serious candidate from Carlow. Although I am not sure where the SFer was from.

The Funchion one was from Kilkenny. John Cassin from Carlow town, did bad. I reckoned he'd do better. Less that 3000 votes. I gave him my no 1.

Good to see Mary White have a horrible result barely scraped 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Living in Carlow but we were lumped in with Wicklow.
    Only 1 candidate on the West Wicklow, the remainding 23 were from East Wicklow with included 14 independents.. and still no one elected :rolleyes:

Between CW/KK and WW/CW there was a weak representation for Carlow.

1 TD ... I suppose it could be worse Leitrim has no representative from the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

did pat deering get elected? I had him on my doorstep and tbh he came across as a bit of a mong

• Advertisement

zeds alive wrote: »
    did pat deering get elected? I had him on my doorstep and tbh he came across as a bit of a mong

yep he was the fifth one to be elected. Don't know anything about him - didn't have any FG ppl at my doorstep at all.

i had no one calling to me ....just millions of leaflets

Nead21 wrote: »
    i had no one calling to me ....just millions of leaflets

I would have preferred to have gotten one call at the door from a candidate/member of their team than gotten all that sh*te through the door. I really went against the Murnane yoke - the morning before the election. We received card for her through the post but she never knocked at the door.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I would have preferred to have gotten one call at the door from a candidate/member of their team than gotten all that sh*te through the door. I really went against the Murnane yoke - the morning before the election. We received card for her through the post but she never knocked at the door.

felt the exact same way, all those leaflets just went straight into the recycling bin! much rather someone at the door to address my questions.

also received that letter from murnane....it had the same fate as the rest of the junk mail received!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

I was amused to read Murnane saying she ran an honest campaign. If it was so honest why did she go out of her way to ensure the Fianna Fail logo on her posters was so extraordinarily miniscule?

"Honestly, I'm not really really from Fianna Fail. Only a little bit."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I was amused to read Murnane saying she ran an honest campaign. If it was so honest why did she go out of her way to ensure the Fianna Fail logo on her posters was so extraordinarily miniscule?

"Honestly, I'm not really really from Fianna Fail. Only a little bit."

Yet she still managed around 4500 first pref votes.

a mixture of habit and people wanting a carlow representative imho! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

From half-blind people who thought she was an independent?

(Or the terminally deluded...)

How many of those votes did she pick up from MJ Nolan though? I wouldn't say a lot of them were for her incredible potential :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement