Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lakelands & Inland Waterways Strategic Plan 2010-2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

In summary:
    Discover Ireland has published a document entitled Lakelands & Inland Waterways Strategic Plan 2010-2015
    There's no mention of Camping/Motorhoming potential around our warerways.
    Well considering the fact that Irish taxpayers contribute somewhere in the region of €50 million to the waterways of Ireland to benefit boat owners/tourism each year I think Motorhomes have every right to use the facilities.
    Over the years I've written to the various authorities with little or no response.
    I think it's well worth following up with a few emails/letters and get some momentum going.

The piece below is the first post from the MotorhomeFacts thread and I complement Erneboy on getting the ball rolling.

As many of you will know there is an excellent waterway running down the centre of Ireland from Bellek in the north west to Limerick in the south west. This facility has been developed to promote water based leisure activities of all sorts and has been very successful, mainly with tourists in motor boats.

The intention is to try to widen the appeal of this area and try to increase boating, fishing and other water based activities, but also to attract new types of tourism. I feel motorhoming fits that requirement very well.

There are stop over places for boats in lots of towns and there are also many lovely isolated places to stay. There is provision for taking on fresh water and disposing of waste. The facilities provided for the boats are equally useful for motorhomes.

Recently a new document has been published announcing plans for future development. On reading it I notice that no mention is made of motorhoming. I think this is quite an oversight and believe we should contact the authors asking to included in their plans. At present the attitude to motorhomes varies, some areas welcome them while others have height barriers preventing access to the facilities. I think it is fair to say that the height barriers are mainly aimed at keeping travellers out.

I intend contacting the authors of this document asking them to allow access for motorhomes. I will refer them to this site in order that they can see the potential size of the marked which is almost on their doorstep. I would encourage others to contact them too.

I have attached the development plan for any interested parties to read. contact detail are there too, Alan.

The pdf attachment is too big to add here, I will see if I can find a link to it elsewhere.

Edit: We are just trying to reduce the size of the document to see if we can post it. I can't find a link to it . Our copy may be an advance release as we have a business in the area.

Edit 2: I have emailed the authors of this document and asked if they can provide a link to the document so that others can read it and contact them with any comments. I will post any reply I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

OK - I sent mine this morning:
    Hi - I have seen this topic beginning to be discussed in internet forums and would like to add my voice.
    We get great use from our camper (calling it a motorhome seems a bit over the top - it's just for 2 of us, and the dogs). As we inevitably end up beside water, we usually head for West Cork, the "Copper Coast" in Waterford, the more remote parts of Clare and the wildness of Mayo. Every so often we head to Brittany and France where motorhomes are welcomed, not shunned.
    For years I have wanted to explore the Shannon, and some of the Grand Canal, Royal, and the Barrow Navigation. As there is just the 2 of us we will never be able to afford a cruiser, and the plan is/was to tow a small boat such as a Drascombe Lugger to get us on the water.

It would be excellent to gain access, perhaps for a small fee, to basic facilities along the waterways - black & grey water disposal, fresh water, and parking within walking distance of restaurants for the occasional treat. Showers, laundry and electrical hook-up is not important to us though it might be to many others.

It would be interesting to go explore the heart of Ireland rather than just the edges.....

Regards,
    xxx
    xxx
    Crosshaven
    Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi Guys

Well spotted

I wonder should we take a similar approach to our representation to the RSA re vehicle testing

Maybe we should formulate a single doc response and each and every one of us forward a copy?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

I use a lot of these waterways sites throught out the summer usually parking up beside the "No overnight parking" signs. It really baffles me how waterways is missing such an oppurtunity to broaden their base of customers, everyone is crying out for tourists. I think if everyone was to email manus.tiernan@waterwaysireland.org
    and let him know how we feel about this, and offer him some suggestions of how WW could benefit eg setting up some power points etc. I'm not sure if we should do this as a group or individuals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i think if we all put together our own mail to manus.tiernan@waterwaysireland.org and tracey.coughlan@failteireland.ie
    rather than a stock letter it would have a better impact.
    some points to keep in mind when drawing up your mail motorhomers/campers and boat people needs are very similar if not the same,theses facilities are all ready in place and it would take very little to open a huge and growing market from home and international motorhomes

• Advertisement

I've edited the title to give the topic more visibility.

After an email to the persons mentioned above I've just received a phone call from Failte Ireland explaining that the document is very broadly based and collectively includes all aspects of leisure and accommodation. They are looking into the area of Motorcaravaning and other areas and are launching a consultation sometime in 2011.

I've explained that we collectively have a lot to offer and would be delighted to contribute to the process.

I'm expecting an email with further details and will update here with any further information received.

just got this reply

Thank you for your email, we appreciate you contacting us with your ideas. We will include your feedback in our upcoming review of the sector.
    Kind regards,
    xxx xxxxxx
    Product Assistant
    Sector Liaison & Planning
    Fáilte Ireland

so failte ireland are haveing a review and they prepared include our feedback so lets get give them our ideas.i will be following up my mail with a more detailed proposal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A very interesting subject and an obvious flaw in not promoting motorhome tourism.

I am a member of the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland (www.iwai.ie) which promotes and lobbies on behalf of many facets of the inland waterways (i.e. not exclusively boating). They have a good working relationship with WI and I wonder if there might be some room to join/work with them to promote your cause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

some points to keep in mind when drawing up your mail motorhomers/campers and boat people needs are very similar if not the same,theses facilities are all ready in place and it would take very little to open a huge and growing market from home and international motorhomes

I think this is what you might mean :D see below
    Gurgy, south of Paris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

well done for spotting this and am definately interested in contributing in any way possible.

[ [/IMG]
    niloc1951 wrote: »
    I think this is what you might mean :D see below
    Gurgy, south of Paris

no this is what i was thinking of just north of bordeaux,free wifi and within walking distance of bars and restaurants,im sure with a bit of effort the shannon could out do any of them

(photo wont load )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

no this is what i was thinking of just north of bordeaux,free wifi and within walking distance of bars and restaurants,im sure with a bit of effort the shannon could out do any of them

(photo wont load )

sounds like a figment of your imagination if you ask me??? :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

There seems to be some activity in NI re campers, aires etc, see attached from another forum (motorhomefacts) - http://profiles.responsemail.co.uk/showemail.php?pf=hvmci&esid=26574&cid=5

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

(i think if we all put together our own mail to manus.tiernan@waterwaysireland.org and tracey.coughlan@failteireland.ie
    rather than a stock letter it would have a better impact.)

i emailed these guys
    the more that contact them the better

Advertisement