Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2011 intake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

jc1980 wrote: »
    ... heading down thursday night and just don't want to forget anything important

Ah I remember thinking the exact same, double-checked the morning I left aswell to be sure, to be sure like.

- Bring some form of ID with you (driver licence or passport would suffice)
    - Do bring notepad and a few pens with you. I took a few notes in the lectures but most didn't.
    - Tracksuit as asked in your letter is definitely needed and buy some water aswell and keep it with you, might just be needed ;)
    - The form you're asked to bring with you will be collected at the Friday so have it filled and ready for collection.

The food is grand. I remember on the Friday evening though that a few of us went into Templemore town for our dinner, good choices in there. Don't forget the town you will be in though and actually stop at the junctions telling you to and oh! remember your safe-cross-code aswell :D

Polly's is a must, on both nights. Great place to unwind and mix with your class and a break from the lecture-hall to say the least.

Ah I can't wait to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Absolutely, Polly's is a must, great to get to know your new classmates and share stories. However, dont be naieve either, Templemore is like a ghost town with no students in it and the training staff have to have somewhere to go for a pint and while I was there some of them would have been there for a pint too. They're all long enough at this game to have cop on in relation to when people turn up locked or not. Ask yourself how long have you been waiting to get started on training and how worth is it to get locked and be hungover for something you have waited so long for? I enjoyed my pints there but had a self imposed cut off of between 11-12. We had one person in our phase who was severely hungover for the police self defence phase and it was pretty embarassing for him. Also worth bearing in mind that alot of full time members, sergeants, inspectors, go to Templemore for courses and while we were in Polly's, Superintendants were there also who could end being in your station, so I would say enjoy yourself, get to know your colleagues, have a few pints and once you have some cop on you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

im glad spartan you said that about pollys and how you have to be careful as you will be kept an eye on. i said this earlier in the thread and you saw "WILCOUT" saying i was talking rubbish. tell that to the two in my phase who were sent home for misconduct ...it was for somehting else, but point been they don't want you acting the b*llix. 50 new faces arrive in the town, trust me yee all stand out, and any youngones yee chat up down the pub will ask striaght away "are you in the college". point been the staff at the college don't want you shaming the uniform they worked so hard for over the years. and it will be the same when you go out on duty.... i myself get a little threat from the pops before every tour i do,haha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hey everyone heading down this week-end,

This is going to be one of the most memorable week-ends you will experience. I sincerely hope you all enjoy every minute of it. Remember that everyone will be in the same position as yourself, and most probably with the same goals and expectations.

Be yourself, Have fun, Get to know the people around you, everyone around you, and don't worry - you will all get on grand :)

Oh! You will be given plenty aswell to make phase2 so so enjoyable ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

im glad spartan you said that about pollys and how you have to be careful as you will be kept an eye on.

i suppose its a word to the wise, be careful and dont screw around and shame yourself and the organisation. a few of the girls were a bit worst for wear on our first day and the training sgt took great delight in announcing to the whole class their antics while coming in the gate at about 2am, but it was all in jest in fairness. but dont let it be said about you, ya know?

but dont be under the impression your under surveillance in pollys! its like any other boozer in the country, have a few pints, get to know your new colleagues and enjoy it! my fondest memories of the college are from that very snug :)

enjoy lads, your embarking on a fantastic journey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

WilcoOut wrote: »
    i suppose its a word to the wise, be careful and dont screw around and shame yourself and the organisation. a few of the girls were a bit worst for wear on our first day and the training sgt took great delight in announcing to the whole class their antics while coming in the gate at about 2am, but it was all in jest in fairness. but dont let it be said about you, ya know?

but dont be under the impression your under surveillance in pollys! its like any other boozer in the country, have a few pints, get to know your new colleagues and enjoy it! my fondest memories of the college are from that very snug :)

enjoy lads, your embarking on a fantastic journey!
    excited now! passed med in feb, hopefully get the call for may!

Advertisement