Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comparing ireland to australia

Options
  • 26-01-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

I came across this on my interweb travels today which i thought folk here might find interesting;

http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/IE/AU

I think some of the stats on the site are accurate enough within reason, but seem to be taken only from the cia world factbook. Still i think it will give anyone moving to aus a different glimpse of life there, i.e.
    • you will use more electricity (fans, air-con)
    • you have better employment chances
    • you just might live longer
    • babies and money are relative to your lifestyle job, etc.
    plus, there's nice map for you to see how massive it really is :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

A lot of electricity usage must be down to loss in distribution. Australia is a lot more sparsely populated than Ireland. Although our heating is mostly oil/gas whereas their cooling is electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

in many houses, heating is also electrical. Plus, i don't think loss through distribution would affect consumption, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

did a few. bit surprised bout the US comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

In ireland we're more likely to earn more and less likely to be un-employed???

.. why we all emmirgrating again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

yet...

theres no place like home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I would take this site with a pinch of salt

I see that all of the stat's come from the CIS Fact book. Whcih if ask me was taken from the US Embassy in each country not really a good pointer for the whole country.

Electricity : They say that per house hold per year we in Ireland use on average 5,910kWh. Hell our house on average uses that per month never mind per year .

Money: $42,200 (€30,600.08) I don't know about you but if i was to say in Ireland for the rest of my life I wouldn't ever get any where near 30,000 Euro n tax maybe .

Health Care: This is a load of crap to . My wife has cover me her and our 3 year old for a health care for a few $100 a year . Plus we get money back on doctor visits n the like . In ireland for the most basic family health care package your talking nearly €2000 plus you get fack all back .

Oil : They may use more in Australia but by god it's a hell of alot cheaper than here in Ireland at the moment a lt Petrol is €1.50 Diesel €1.38

So I wouldn't pay much heed to this comparison

Only thing you can really take as fact is comparison of size of Australia n Ireland

That you would have flown to USA from Ireland in the time it takes to fly from East to West Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Ozeire wrote: »
    I would take this site with a pinch of salt

I see that all of the stat's come from the CIS Fact book. Whcih if ask me was taken from the US Embassy in each country not really a good pointer for the whole country.

Electricity : They say that per house hold per year we in Ireland use on average 5,910kWh. Hell our house on average uses that per month never mind per year .

Money: $42,200 (€30,600.08) I don't know about you but if i was to say in Ireland for the rest of my life I wouldn't ever get any where near 30,000 Euro n tax maybe .

Health Care: This is a load of crap to . My wife has cover me her and our 3 year old for a health care for a few $100 a year . Plus we get money back on doctor visits n the like . In ireland for the most basic family health care package your talking nearly €2000 plus you get fack all back .

Oil : They may use more in Australia but by god it's a hell of alot cheaper than here in Ireland at the moment a lt Petrol is €1.50 Diesel €1.38

So I wouldn't pay much heed to this comparison

Only thing you can really take as fact is comparison of size of Australia n Ireland

That you would have flown to USA from Ireland in the time it takes to fly from East to West Oz

excellent! see this is what i was hoping for, Info that's not cia stats. Small things like power, some people wouldn't realise how much more power you'd use in aus because of things like air-con. Though i don't recall the price of electricity being overly excessive.. ? as for oil, i never met any aussie that used oil, mostly gas. That's not to say they don't of course! Health care i never bought into, salary, not to far off (for me in eire anyway), but i got a lot more when i was in aus.

anyone else wanna weigh in?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

in many houses, heating is also electrical. Plus, i don't think loss through distribution would affect consumption, would it?
    It would if they measured it at a national level and divided per house, rather than average bill
    In ireland we're more likely to earn more and less likely to be un-employed???

.. why we all emmirgrating again?

Em, the stats say your more likely to be employed in Oz,

as for earning more, with the failing euro that its true anymore

and with the electricity consumption, maybe on average, but there are a lot of huge houses in oz with massive AC units. For the average guy coming over on a WHV or a 457, its not going to be much different

Advertisement