Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malin to Mizen - Help !? :)

Options
  • 26-01-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Me and a few friends are thinking of doing the Malin to Mizen and then climbing Carruntoohill when were down there.

We are athletic lads but have no real experience cycling, with training we will be able to do the 400miles though.

Could anyone who has done this before comment with advice and stuff we should know before leaving, much appreciated.

Would doing 75miles per day for 5 days be achievable ?

Ideally we are going to leave malin head and take 5-6 days and get to Mizen, then return through Killarney to Killorglin where we will leave our bikes and then go to Carrontoohill. Summit. Return to killarney via killorglin and go out that night. Next morning train to dublin, then bus to Derry and then cycle the last 20miles home into Inishowen :).

We are wondering :
    -how much food
    -places to stay
    -places to camp
    -standard of bike needed
    -standard of cycling needed before going
    -reasonable mileage per day
    -places to go out along the way
    -camp sites
    -clothes to bring
    -what training would be required?

I have no experience in cycling except childhood scoots and am a complete rookie in regard to what a trip like this would require.

I know there are some experienced people out there and I would be delighted if they could share their experience and knowledge with me!

regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Roadrat

Know some people who did this last year and they averaged about 100 miles per day no problem without much training.Have a clean pair of cycling shorts every day(Stops chafing/infection).Get good nights kip in a good bed with hot shower facilities.Eat well in evening..nibble away during the day and drink plenty water/fluids (-not beer!)Handier to do Mizen to Malin than Malin to Mizen due to tail-wind.Thats what I've been told anyway.
    Go for it.You'll have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I did Malin- Mizen as part of a longer cycle (the most easterly, northerly, westerly, southerly points of the Island).

As you're up in Donegal already, North- South makes most sense. That's the way we did it.

75 miles (120km) a day is more than achievable for fit people, especially if it's the main focus of your day. For example, if you're on the road by 8AM and back off the road by 6PM, well that's 10 hours. Let's say an hour for lunch and another hour for snacks, you've 8 hours of cycling, equating to 15km a hour (not fast).

You could do the trip on any kind of bike, I guess, but some bikes would definitely be easier than others.

My choice at the time (and subsequently) is a drop bar touring bike (looks like a 'racer' but with 'slacker' geometry, more gears and attachments for mudguards, rack, etc.

Here's a lovely bike, but mad money!

You could do it on a mountain bike, but you'd want to put some slick tyres on it. Do you have a bike? Would you use it again after the trip? What for?

When we did the Malin Mizen, we stayed in B&Bs, which means you can travel pretty light. You'll want a change of cycling clothes and one set of evening clothes.

Cycling shorts, shoes and gloves are all worth the investment. It's Ireland, so you'll need a waterproof jacket and possibly some waterproof trousers, depending on your willingness to keep going in the rain.

You'll eat like a horse. If you're camping, bring a Trangia and make porridge every morning. We did that in France and it was a great start to the day. France is the place for camping and eating ;)

Regarding training, I never really do too much ;)

As a rule of thumb, you can easily ride in a day what you normally ride in a week (commuting, short spins, etc). So if you get up to 120km a week, then you're good to go! :) The multi day aspect of it is probably what's going to take it out of you. Cycling shorts and stretching are important.

I think it would be a good idea to get a dry run in before the main event. Just an overnighter as a bit of a shake down for equipment, clothes, etc.

Regards,

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Been done a few times: Click here for some good info.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

If you can get a friend with a car or van (or a parent, or a partner) it will make life infinitely easier. That way, you can B&B it the whole way. If you are carrying your own stuff, you will be a fair bit slower and it will take at least a day if not two longer, meaning even if you camp, you'll probably spend the same amount of money. Get a friend with a car, is my basic advice. They'll have plenty of time every day to do all sorts of scenic touristy stuff in Ireland. Visiting the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Ailwee cave, driving the Ring of Kerry, that sort of thing, while still being able to meet you and carry all your stuff.

Advertisement