Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise samples from Hardware synths. Files to DL attached.

Options
  • 26-01-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

There was a Thread about this on another forum that I'm on..

Would any of you Guys with Hardware Synths be interested in sharing a 1min long file of the finest Noise from whatever synth you got?

There were a couple posted elsewhere & I think they sound fkn great. Both different of course.. but it would be cool to compare them with others.. and ultimately, people might use them!! :D

I've got a few here from a TI & a Prophet08 - Have a listen & see what ye think. If I come accross any more I'll stick up the links.

Each 3mins long. Respect to SupaSandeep for providing them.

Virus TI - http://hotfile.com/dl/92485303/cf12b89/Virus_TI_White_Noise.mp3.html

Prophet08 - http://hotfile.com/dl/92682494/ab117ee/Prophet08WhiteNoise.mp3.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I don't really get it. Noise is noise surely?

If it sounds different from one synth to the next, maybe that machine produces a different 'colour' of noise? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Well.. I know for a fact the the noise from several of my soft synths sounds different.

Noise is random isnt it? There has to be different "random". No 2 randoms can be the same?

I think theres a difference. Have you listened to the 2 samples yet Anima? Would like to know what you think Man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah they definitely sound different alright. I ran both through a spectrum analyser and you can see the differences more clearly.

It seems the virus noise equates to what looks like violet noise. You can see it rolls off as you go down the spectrum from 20khz. So theres lots of highs but not much low / mid end. Which is why it sounds more sparkle-y with not much weight behind it.

The prophet noise is like blue noise I guess. It has the highs like the last type but it also has more mid end, so sounds a bit more there and solid.

Most synths just have full band noise because you can achieve any of the colours by filtering. I guess with hardware synths it might be cheaper to generate other types of noise instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Yeah.. That makes sense to me in regards to the Virus one, as I used it in something based on that very reason.

Interesting about the blue noise etc.. never realised that there were such things :cool:

Ha! Would be pretty cool if we got some more examples to check out! ;)

Advertisement