Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulbs keep blowing

Options
  • 26-01-2011 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

We have 2 fittings in our kitchen (similar to the attached pic)both working off separate light switches. They have the small screw in bulbs(e14 i think). Problem is that they just keep blowing, they will last a few days then bang. There is 4 bulbs in each fitting. Usually we are left with one bulb and after a few weeks that will blow too.

We use 40w bulbs. An electrician had a quick look but i think he was busy and didn't want the hassle. He put a device maybe a multimeter into the socket and everything seemed fine to him but that's all he did. What could be causing this. It never trips a switch either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Are these 240v bulbs or 12v? It should be written on the bulb. E14 is screw-in, so it does not appear to be correct based on the photo.
    If they are 12v bulbs, you should test the transformer using a multimeter while it's under load. It should read less than 14v under load. If higher than this, it's a probable cause for the failures.

In addition, what's in the room above the lamp? A bedroom? If so, vibration could be affecting the filaments. If you loosen the screws to limit the vibration somewhat, do the failures reduce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Sorry i took that picture off the net as i was having camera trouble so its not the exact model. They are the small screw in bulbs. It is also in a bungalow so nothing above.

What is the transformer? is this where the bulbs go? sorry im a bit dumb when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

firstly i think the bulb your talking about is a 40 watt r50.....google this to confirm.
    it could be a bad connection in the lamp holder or could be a poor quallity bulb. ive found the best manufacturer of this type of bulb is ge.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

As said above try to go for a different brand of bulbs (GE) next time and also make sure they are screwed in tight, loose connections on the bulbs can cause them to blow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Some screw in bulbs holders have an anti vibration clip, when the bulb hits this it sometimes feel like its screwed in fully. Try screw them in a bit further but be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

ill try screwing them in tighter but think they are pretty tight, as for different brands we have tried them all its being going on for a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Wear something over your hands when installing them ( glove, tissue), anything that won't let your skin touch them. The natural oils from your hands can play havoc with bulbs when they heat up. Try it and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

I would trace the wiring back to an earth and make sure the bulb holder device is properly earthed. No harm to check a few sockets with a multimeter to make sure you don't have a bigger earthing issue....

Advertisement