Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stars in the bars?

• 26-01-2011 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Does anyone know when this great waterford event starts or have the dates for it. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I saw Chris Doran in Masons once,does that count ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

and stars in the bars is......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I think he is trying to get us talking about his "great" event. :)

I saw Chris Doran in Masons once,does that count ;)
    WELLLLL JEALOUS..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

• Advertisement

is it in geoff's??? :pac:!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There's an article about it in today's Munster Express and Waterford Today.

BUT WHAT IS IT!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Is this it?

starbar_wr.jpg

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwgbsnid&cat=entertainment

Last years one it looks like.
    So its just a citywide talent show held in pubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I lost faith in local talent shows a long time ago.

A good few years ago I was one of a few people (think there was 3 of us) who won a singing competition in Sheffs (where Harvey's is now for all you young'uns) where the prize was getting to record a song in a proper recording studio and putting it on a CD. The competition went on for a good few weeks and I think I had to go through a heat, possibly a second heat, a semi-final and a final. All the while bringing a few friends and family along, who bought drinks and basically gave money to Sheffs. Then at the end of the competition we were told there's no prize as they didn't have the money for it or some other bull**** excuse.

And in another talent competition I was singing as part of a male-female duet and we were blatantly told by the judge that if we were to kiss at the end of one of our songs (a love song from Phantom of the Opera) he would give us 1st prize as it would be "great drama". Needless to say I'm a whore for money so did it and did indeed win! :D

And finally in another competition I was banned from the final, again singing as a duet, for "being a professional singer down from Dublin". I was 18, had a fairly obvious Waterford accent and was only singing a couple of years!

Moral of the story is that the local talent competiton circuit can be cut-throat with the same people singing in every one and with the same judges judging at many of them. To me it seemed like they have favourites and don't always judge based on ability. But still if you're good and you don't mind a small bit of corruption you can make a nice bit of money. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

!
    Moral of the story is that the local talent competiton circuit can be cut-throat with the same people singing in every one and with the same judges judging at many of them. To me it seemed like they have favourites and don't always judge based on ability. But still if you're good and you don't mind a small bit of corruption you can make a nice bit of money. :D

sounds very like professional Boxing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Its a national talent competition being held in certain pubs accross the country.

VFI Stars of our Bars

Ever dreamed of becoming the next Susan Boyle, Kings of Leon or even David Copperfield? If so, the Vintners’ Federation of Ireland (VFI) in association with Smithwick’s, might have the answer for you.

This January, thousands of hopefuls will have the chance to showcase their talents in the Stars of our Bars pubtalent competition, which takes place in pubs and bars across the country.

Following from the success of last year’s competition, Stars of our Bars will see acts from all walks of life take part to be in with a chance to win from the cash prize fund of €50,000 and to be crowned Smithwick’s Stars or our Bars Champion 2011.

All acts are welcome so feel free to bring your spoons, don your magician’s cape, or just belt out a ballad of your choice. Heats will commence in late January and successful contestants will move on to the county finals in March before going head to head with the best in their region in April. To find where the competition is happening near you please see here.

The All Ireland Final will take place in May where a panel of judges, including Newstalk and former Something Happens frontman Tom Dunne will select the overall national winner.

Click here for Terms & Conditions for participants.

Click here to listen to our radio advertisement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Susan Boyle and the Kings of Leon? If that's they type of music we can expect they can shove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

not great examples alright. but i suppose it's not just music, it's any kind of talent.

Tbh it wouldnt be my kind of thing, but it might be a laugh after a few pints! ha

Advertisement