Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience from Fosterbrook (Booterstown)

Options
  • 26-01-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

So I was advised to start a new thread with this subject. I'm just after viewing a great house in Fosterbrook (Booterstown). Would love to let myself enjoy the feeling that we finally found a house as we have been looking around months now.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience living in that estate. I've heard awful comments but also great ones too. Not sure what to believe. I'm expecting the students being around as it is really close to UCD but apart from that would that be a good choice? Not first time buyers but first for house in Dublin....

Was looking for place in D4 but nothing nice at all for about 500K.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Are you hoping to buy when prices are bottomed out or do you just want/need to buy a home now?

It would be good if you could clear this up so the thread isn't full of people trying to advise you to save your money...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dexi

We are going to buy. Just found one would suit us perfectly but wanna make sure that the area is good enough.

Only saw now what you wrote fully (sorry didn't read it just from my email:S)
    We are living in an apartment but as we got married recently and having a little dog we would like to move out from the city. Did want to sell our apt only buy a house. Of course the reason why we are looking at D4 and around that at the moment is because the prices are so down. (otherwise it would be super expensive).

Thanks for helping me out with this. You were right it could be confusing....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id possibly rent in the estate of whatever it is, even for 6 months before buying there. If you buy there, and are trapped in somewhat considerable negative equity, good look getting out of there...

Thanks but I wouldn't want to rent. I'm living in our own apartment don't see why would I start paying for rent. Went there yesterday just to look around in the evening. Didn't seem to be laud or too much student or so. Also when I was first there I saw a lot of children around. I thought when I first saw it is a family estate but now I'm not sure. Just thought maybe some people would have experience living there.

Thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Well if you rent there for 6 months you'll

1. get to know the area very well and find out if you really want to commit to a large mortgage to live there
    2. save yourself a lot of money due to house prices only going in one direction

It's good advice. :)

I believe that is a good advice but I'm not in the position to rent first. I have been looking for houses quite a long time and my husband has no more patience for it. We finally found stg we have been looking for and I'm not sure if we rent before we would be able to find there again. I know it would save me a lot of hassles but unfortunately it isn't an option for us.

No mortgage thought....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 limelemon

Great estate, have looked there ourselves (recently - so possibly same house??)

Think there are some students but have scouted around several times, different days, different times, have seen plenty of kids, some students but don't forget the apartments are there too and I think a lot of them are coming from there.

I have sympathy with your husband, nobody can predict the bottom of the market and if you're happy to have some negative equity but ride it out then go for it.

limelemon wrote: »
    Great estate, have looked there ourselves (recently - so possibly same house??)

Think there are some students but have scouted around several times, different days, different times, have seen plenty of kids, some students but don't forget the apartments are there too and I think a lot of them are coming from there.

I have sympathy with your husband, nobody can predict the bottom of the market and if you're happy to have some negative equity but ride it out then go for it.

Hi:)

As far as I know there were 3 houses for sale just a few weeks ago. I saw the apartments but they look quite fancy so I'm not afraid of any gangs.... It is great that you went there a couple of times I was only there twice. I thought for a first sign that it was a great family estate the only bad thing I heard is the students around.

I agree with you the prices are down now but I never know when they will go up again. These houses were much more expensive just a couple of years ago. Hopefully it will work out we will try to go for it. Thanks for your comment:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have friends (a couple) that rent in Fosterbrook and seem to like it. In fact I think they've considered buying there. I've even watched the houses there myself as I'm in the market too.

That said, I grew up very close to there so know the area well. While it's nice, there isn't really a centre of anything close to there. There's a few shops around Woodbine but really there's nowhere that isn't a long walk or a drive away. And I don't think there's access to the estate except at the N11?

Also, Fosterbrook is only just not in Dublin 4. The actual boundary when Dublin 4 ends is just before the flyover into UCD. :)

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I have friends (a couple) that rent in Fosterbrook and seem to like it. In fact I think they've considered buying there. I've even watched the houses there myself as I'm in the market too.

That said, I grew up very close to there so know the area well. While it's nice, there isn't really a centre of anything close to there. There's a few shops around Woodbine but really there's nowhere that isn't a long walk or a drive away. And I don't think there's access to the estate except at the N11?

Also, Fosterbrook is only just not in Dublin 4. The actual boundary when Dublin 4 ends is just before the flyover into UCD. :)

That's good to hear a good comment now. I know it is really just not in D4, that's how we found it actually by looking at D4 houses.
    About the shops I'm not worried both of us are working in the city centre we can do our shopping there also with car the weekly one wouldn't be a problem either.

But overall I'm really happy to hear that you think it is nice there and will be good to raise a child there. Thanks:)

Having rented and lived in Fosterbrook, I would say it's generally a quiet place, close to the city but there are several negatives to be aware of:
    -service charge of about 500euro (not sure as to the exact amount as paid by landlord)
    -large number of rented houses, where I was there were 4 in a row, and due to proximity to UCD, students. I had major hassle with students living next door, and while there may be decent people living in the rented house next door to you now, who knows what will be there in 6 months time.
    -it's a good 18min walk to the dart, thru the apartments, my wife didn't feel comfortable crossing the open field in the dark, to the dart
    -again due to the amount of rented houses, car parking can be an issue
    -poor build quality, very poor sound proofing both between houses, and internally, no need for a baby monitor!
    -in the recent snow, many cars were unable to get up the hill out onto the N11, and were stuck on the ice,

Having rented and lived in Fosterbrook, I would say it's generally a quiet place, close to the city but there are several negatives to be aware of:
    -service charge of about 500euro (not sure as to the exact amount as paid by landlord)
    -large number of rented houses, where I was there were 4 in a row, and due to proximity to UCD, students. I had major hassle with students living next door, and while there may be decent people living in the rented house next door to you now, who knows what will be there in 6 months time.
    -it's a good 18min walk to the dart, thru the apartments, my wife didn't feel comfortable crossing the open field in the dark, to the dart
    -again due to the amount of rented houses, car parking can be an issue
    -poor build quality, very poor sound proofing both between houses, and internally, no need for a baby monitor!
    -in the recent snow, many cars were unable to get up the hill out onto the N11, and were stuck on the ice,

Thanks for this comment. That really made me think only I would have read that before. I already heard about the very poor sound proofing but we are getting an insulation around the house, I don't want any problem. I'm totally aware of the walking distance but I walk the same distance now to the dart and I live in an apartment. Always need to sacrifice if you want stg. My husband is driving but I know most of the estates were in trouble in the recent snow, hopefully we won't have that much again.

The only thing I'm worried about is the students I used to be a students I know how that feels but I don't want a late parties around me. I asked the two neighbours in both side own their house so I won't have students there but still I'm hoping that we can be lucky:) Sale agreed thought, hopefully I will not regret it. Thanks for all the comments, it was really helpful prepared me for living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

I'm retaking this post as there have been a few houses on sale in this estate lately and we are considering it as a possibility for our young family.

Perhaps someone who owns a house there could tell me what sort of construction the outer walls are if someone wanted to insulate them. Would cavity filling be a posibility or only dry lining? Also if the attics are easily convertible into living space or if it would be a big job (I'm worried about the floor being able to withstand a decent weight as it is or if it would need to be reinforced).

Oh, and can someone tell me how much the management charge is at the moment?

inigo wrote: »
    I'm retaking this post as there have been a few houses on sale in this estate lately and we are considering it as a possibility for our young family.

Perhaps someone who owns a house there could tell me what sort of construction the outer walls are if someone wanted to insulate them. Would cavity filling be a posibility or only dry lining? Also if the attics are easily convertible into living space or if it would be a big job (I'm worried about the floor being able to withstand a decent weight as it is or if it would need to be reinforced).

Oh, and can someone tell me how much the management charge is at the moment?[/QUOTE

Well as far as I'm concerned and I'm quite well concerned there are two houses at the moment for sale in Fosterbrook and both of them are sold....

However I wish you luck to find a place there as I found the area nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NikolaiIV

dexi wrote: »
    Thanks for this comment. That really made me think only I would have read that before. I already heard about the very poor sound proofing but we are getting an insulation around the house, I don't want any problem. I'm totally aware of the walking distance but I walk the same distance now to the dart and I live in an apartment. Always need to sacrifice if you want stg. My husband is driving but I know most of the estates were in trouble in the recent snow, hopefully we won't have that much again.

The only thing I'm worried about is the students I used to be a students I know how that feels but I don't want a late parties around me. I asked the two neighbours in both side own their house so I won't have students there but still I'm hoping that we can be lucky:) Sale agreed thought, hopefully I will not regret it. Thanks for all the comments, it was really helpful prepared me for living there.

Hi, we are in the same boat now as you were 3 years ago! :) So what are your views of the estate now that you have lived there? Are the stories re students/teenagers true? Many thanks!

Advertisement