Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint plastic inset on aluminium door

• 26-01-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Folks

I have an aluminium hall door. It's has what I think is a plastic inset (just from tapping it). The door is dark blue and faces the morning sun. The inset has become very faded and I'm wondering if it's possible to paint it? What kind of paint are we talking about? Could the entire door be painted (both materials)?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yes its possible to repaint the door. What is currently on the door? Is it a factory finish? If so you will want to lightly sand it, very important to prime it with a key primer. This is for use on plastics and galvanised metals. Not suitable for PVC doors. Then apply top coat as if it was a normal door.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Yes its possible to repaint the door. What is currently on the door? Is it a factory finish? If so you will want to lightly sand it, very important to prime it with a key primer. This is for use on plastics and galvanised metals. Not suitable for PVC doors. Then apply top coat as if it was a normal door.

Phil.

Thanks Phil, so the trick is the primer? Do I just look for any key primer or do I need a special one for plastics / metals?

Yeah the trick is key primer not regular primer. This will stick to your door better.

Many thanks

Am I using this key primer on both surfaces? (aluminium and plastic), I take it I will need to do the entire door so? (The aluminium paint is perfect / vibrant and glossy, its just the plastic that's faded)

Sry, if its just the plastic that needs painting just use an acrylic paint.

• Advertisement

Sry, if its just the plastic that needs painting just use an acrylic paint.

no primer?

Advertisement