Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla1.6 launch party 27th Jan Longstone Inn

Options
  • 26-01-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi All,

my apologies for such short notice.

We will be celebrating the launch of Joomla1.6 upstairs in the Longstone Pub tomrrow 27th from 18:00 till 20:00

We will be discussing the potential for regular meetings between Dublin , Cork and Galway as well as all things joomla.

for more info search for IJUG on facebook or go to www.joomlaireland.org

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Techbot wrote: »
    Hi All,

my apologies for such short notice.

We will be celebrating the launch of Joomla1.6 upstairs in the Longstone Pub tomrrow 27th from 18:00 till 20:00

We will be discussing the potential for regular meetings between Dublin , Cork and Galway as well as all things joomla.

for more info search for IJUG on facebook or go to www.joomlaireland.org

Rob

Cool! Didnt know there was an Irish Joomla group, fair play for setting it up. Wont make it myself tonight but the very best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Techbot

Thanks anbrutag,

We are slowly getting the ball rolling. Next month we will have a special guest: Ryan Ozimek , the President of Open Source Matters (the team behind Joomla).

It will most likely be on the 9th of February also at the Longstone Inn. (A bit more notice this time). After that we are talking about alternating monthly meetings between Cork, Dublin and Galway depending on the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

definitely interested, keep us posted please. Feb 9 looks like a good date to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Techbot wrote: »
    Glad to finally see an active Joomla group in Ireland. I've thought many times about starting one but even the UK ones are pretty inactive.

Unfortunately Joomla 1.6 is a total waste of time and Joomla will be stopping any further development of it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

Scotty where did you get this information about version 1.6 from ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Scotty # wrote: »
    Glad to finally see an active Joomla group in Ireland. I've thought many times about starting one but even the UK ones are pretty inactive.

Unfortunately Joomla 1.6 is a total waste of time and Joomla will be stopping any further development of it shortly.

Im very interested in this being explained further...

Joomla 1.7 will be released in July (which I wouldn't bother with either) with the next major version scheduled for Jan 2012.

2 good articles on the subject...
    Andrew Miller (Rocketheme & Joomla Dev team) on why not to use 1.6
    Why K2 won't be developed for 1.6

And the official line...
    Joomla Development Strategy (inc provisional timetable).

There is so much disagreement within the top ranks of Joomla now (from what I see on twitter) that I can see another fork coming the way Joomla did from Mambo. J1.5 will be supported for at least another 15 months (long after 1.6!!) so it's that version I will be sticking with and recommending others to do the same.

Reminder of meeting on the 9th with Ryan Ozimek, President of Open Source Matters (the group behind Joomla)

Longstone Pub Townsend Street 6:00 till 8:00

@Scotty I'm sure you've read this:

http://blog.joomlaworks.gr/why-were-not-porting-k2-to-joomla-16-the-life

Yes I linked to it in my post above...

It's a good artice and I wonder is it the stance that other Extension developers will take? It seems to me that Fotis is really pissed off with the way Joomla is going and I don't blame him. OK the new framework is much better than the old one but I think it should have been saved for a bigger upgrade (2.0 maybe).

Then we have Andrew Miller, one of the lead developers of Joomla, advising his Rocketheme members not to bother with 1.6. Really really strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Left

Scotty, it seems you're getting two people mixed up, not that it changes your points.

Andrew Eddie is a lead developer involved in Joomla 1.6. His website:
    http://www.theartofjoomla.com

Andy Miller is the one behind Rockettheme and author of the article you already posted.

Looking forward to the meeting on the 9th!

• Advertisement

Left wrote: »
    Scotty, it seems you're getting two people mixed up, not that it changes your points.
    hehe! Yes, well spotted. Both are Joomla Core Developers but yes, Miller is the man behind Rockethemes. Not the first time I've got them mixed up!.

Advertisement