Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic updates - RANT!

• 26-01-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or are traffic updates the biggest waste of air time there is? They are, more often than not, inaccurate or too late and of no use to anyone who's driving. Anywhere you drive in this country, especially mornings and evenings, the traffic is going to be busy or at a standstill. To top it off, they tend to be presented by people with that faux D4 accent who don't know their arse from their elbow once they've gone past the M50 or North of the Liffey.
    Please, during the upcoming election, ask your local politician to promise a constitutional ban on these odious, vain attempts at information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

AA Roadwatch - bad, Livedrive - Excellent. Don't even dare think about saying anything bad about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    They are, more often than not, inaccurate or too late and of no use to anyone who's driving.....they tend to be presented by people with that faux D4 accent who don't know their arse from their elbow once they've gone past the M50 or North of the Liffey.

I would agree with that. I find a lot of the AA Roadwatch reports either inaccurate or not up to date........and don't get me started on the presenter's accents and the regular clueless mispronunciation of places around the country.

However, as already mentioned, Live Drive on Dublin City FM is excellent. I tend to listen in the evening and for anyone trying to navigate around Dublin traffic, it's essential. It's up to date and you sense that John Neary actually knows the roads/routes that he's reporting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Livedrive - Excellent.
    A bit sad reporting how long it takes you to drive the same road every day? No?
    8 minutes, 9 minutes, 6.5 minutes, 540 seconds.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You've obviously never listened to it nor have you had the joy of traversing Dublin City on a daily basis, it's like Russian roulette except instead of bullets the gun is loaded with crashes, road works and delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Thanks for the replys - I don't live in Dublin (at the moment) but will give live drive a go next time I'm up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

AA Roadwatch should start their own trafficnews channel and get the hell out of my way on all other channels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I live up in the sticks but I do drive a lot (and I used to live in the city) and I listen to the radio a lot and I have never found a traffic report useful.

AND i have often ruminated on their usefulness (or lack of) while they're on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Is it just me or are traffic updates the biggest waste of air time there is? They are, more often than not, inaccurate or too late and of no use to anyone who's driving. Anywhere you drive in this country, especially mornings and evenings, the traffic is going to be busy or at a standstill. To top it off, they tend to be presented by people with that faux D4 accent who don't know their arse from their elbow once they've gone past the M50 or North of the Liffey.
    AA Roadwatch is a vanity project. It's basically so much intrusive free advertising for an organisation that should be providing information for the relevant people in another manner. I remember that if you tuned in to certain channels on German roads, the radio was interrupted with specific real-time announcements, not a pointless list of "blackspots" delivered after the event after each "drive time" news bulletin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Livedrive also have twitter updates which is great for a quick scan before you leave the house/office.

By far the best service on the airwaves. They were epic during the snow chaos.

Advertisement