Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Constant Texts from ucdents.

• 26-01-2011 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Does anybody else get daily texts from ucdents advertising events and gigs? They are bloody annoying. I want to 'opt out' of them but don't know how. It is my fault for giving my number to the cúnts in the first place...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Yeah I get them all the time too, don't remember giving them my number!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Yeah I get them all the time too, don't remember giving them my number!

Any good friend knows you give your mate's number :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

LUPE wrote: »
    Any good friend knows you give your mate's number :D

*Shakes fist angrily*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its ****ing annoying and I have asked for my number to be taken off. Spammy arsholes using lists from years ago which Im pretty sure is against the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I remember signing up to them in the Tent in Orientation week this year, they wanted everyone to sign up to UcdEnts before going through the tent and signing up to everything else! So irritating!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I think you're right KatCookie. I signed up for ents last year but no texts (think it must be a new thing). Wish they'd fcuk off, they're so bloody annoying. I do not need 2 a day, thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

If I sign up for this will I be guaranteed a place in Comp Science next year? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

HxGH wrote: »
    If I sign up for this will I be guaranteed a place in Comp Science next year? :p

... the fudge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

... the fudge?

I kid, I kid :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was going to post this! I'm hoping it'll just be bad this week because it's rag week. It wouldn't be so bad if they were texting us occasionally with useful information, but I already know that x gig is on in the student bar, and I don't need to be reminded ALL IN CAPITALS by text.

I always thought you could send 'Stop' to these services to make them stop, but my phone won't let me send a message to them - there's no recipient apparently, as it just comes up UCDEnts.com instead of a number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Agreed, it's getting really annoying- as if the sea of flyers on every single surface wasn't enough to remind us what's happening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I think you're right KatCookie. I signed up for ents last year but no texts (think it must be a new thing).
    It's not. Maybe they stopped last year but it was going on years ago. They used to text me everything twice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

ah balls, do they not have some unsubscription service? this is an absolute joke and has been for the past few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I had "Get to fúck" typed as a reply, but there's no number so I couldn't send it back.....

I never gave them my number.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

The language they use is annoying. TIX ON SALE ONLY 10E W/ PROMOS AND LATE BAR!!!!
    Go away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

They were doing it when I was a first year too in 2004 including a weird period where every text was sent twice. There is obviously some form, somewhere that people sign where they get your number. Obviously the SU tent is a biggie but they probably have other sources.

Never found out if they had access to the UCD database of mobile numbers, I doubt it but you never know.

I did manage to unsubscribe at some stage, not sure how though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

When I text a number from Skype, the recipent will just see my Skype username as the sender with no number. Same as the UCDents texts, so they prob just use Skype or some other mass texting service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Well, I think they should give an Opt-Out service or ComReg will have to become involved. I tried "STOP" but to no avail.

I also hate the language. Written by a 10 year old with Cap-Lock-I-Tis

funny_pictures_2683-500x400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

*beep beep*

Ooh, I have a text! Someone loves m-UCD ENTS GLOW-IN-THE-DARK MIDGET ORGY @ TRIPOD 2NITE FREE GLOWSTICKS BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

time again for an uprising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

+1. Jesus, spam MOAR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I always thought you could send 'Stop' to these services to make them stop, but my phone won't let me send a message to them - there's no recipient apparently, as it just comes up UCDEnts.com instead of a number.

I always thought that was illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Just get a sms blocker and your sorted

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I always thought that was illegal?

So did I, but I read this morning that it only applies to Premium Rate services, which isn't really the case with UCD Ents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Data Protection Commissioner warned Political Parties not to send unsolicited texts during the election:
    Linky

Guidlines for unsolicited direct marketing
    Electronic Mail

Electronic mail (i.e. a text message, voice message, sound message, image message, multimedia message or email message) for the purpose of direct marketing cannot be sent to you without your prior consent unless it is from someone with whom you have a current customer relationship. The Data Protection Commissioner considers that, in order to comply with the provision of the Data Protection Acts concerning the retention of data for no longer than is necessary, and in line with best practice, a ‘current customer relationship’ exists only where a business and a customer have engaged in a business transaction within the previous twelve months. The rules for direct marketing using electronic mail are simple:

Marketers may send you electronic mail for direct marketing purposes where:
    (i)
    • You have given them explicit consent to do so within the last twelve months, or
    (ii)
    • they have obtained your personal contact details in the course of a sale to you of a product or service within the last twelve months, they informed you of their identity, the purpose in collecting your contact details, the persons or categories of persons to whom your personal data may be disclosed and any other information which is necessary so that processing may be fair, and
    • the direct marketing they are sending is in respect of their similar* products and services only, and
    • you were given a simple cost-free means of refusing the use of your contact details for direct marketing purposes at the time your details were initially collected, and where you did not initially refuse the use of those details, you are given a similar option at the time of each subsequent communication. (If you fail to unsubscribe using the cost-free means provided to you by the direct marketer, you will be deemed to have remained opted-in to the receipt of such electronic mail for a twelve month period from the date of issue to you of the most recent marketing electronic mail).

Marketers may not send you any electronic mail for direct marketing purposes in the following circumstances:
    • if you have not given your prior consent to receiving such mail within the last twelve months in accordance with the options set out above,
    • if the identity of the sender has been disguised or concealed or a valid address to which you can send an opt-out request has not been provided, and additionally, where the electronic mail is an email communication, a valid address at which the sender may be contacted has not been provided.
    • if you have joined a club to which you pay a subscription for text, multimedia or email message services, unless the direct marketing is directly related to a similar* product or service to the subscription club of which you are a member,
    If you are receiving electronic marketing messages contrary to these rules, you may complain to the Data Protection Commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Email jonny@ucdents.com to get your number taken off their annoying list. I did that and all is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Email jonny@ucdents.com to get your number taken off their annoying list. I did that and all is sorted.

Thats great and all, but there should be a way of doing it without emailing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ask him if he has any reasons why the SU engage in illegal unsolicited marketing whilst your at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JonnyCosgrove

hi guys,

Jonny here. If you wish to remove yourself simply email myself @ jonny@ucdents.com with the subject line please remove number and your mobile and it shall be done.

all the numbers collected were done so in compliance with the data protection act and all numbers which are emailed come from numbers collected at Freshers week, orientation week and various ents events throughout the year. I made a point of not using previous years database as has been the case in the past.

if you feel that you are receiving them and shouldn't be it is usually the case that someone put down the wrong number/mixed a digit up on sign-up. (i don't intentionally annoy those who don't sign up as it would be a waste of money anyways!)

anything just drop me an email I've no issue dealing with your questions.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

No Jonny, we want this fixed by shouting about it on the interweb! *shakes virtual fist*

Advertisement