Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I secure my wireless?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

(This may have been covered on another thread elsewhere on this forum. If so, please redirect me)

For the past 5 days there has been a fella sitting on a bench directly opposite my house for a few hours each day. Superficially it looks like he is planning to break in at the opportune time... but he doesn't look they type. He also doesn't look like an undercover cop... so that doesn't make sense either. I noticed him typing today... and the penny still didn't drop. (You can see where this is going). My housemate just walked in and asked me if I knew why he was there? I was obviously clueless. My housemate said he's feeding off our wireless.

I use Smart Telecom and bought a Belkin router a couple of years ago. I've been using it "unsecured" because I don't know / can't remember the code. When I rang up Smart they said they can't help me because they don't support that router.

How do I secure my wireless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Find the router's local IP address from typing
    ipconfig /all
    at a command prompt, its listed as Default Gateway in the section for the wifi connection, probably 192.168.x.y
    Put this into address bar of browser and you should be able to find/set the wifi code. Use WPA rather than WEP, assuming the router supports it.

Are you sure the guy on the bench is not just using a wifi dongle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

When he is outside again switch off the router at the plug.!

Keep and eye on him

If he leaves you know he was using your broadband! :D

Then you need to do something.

You can call the guards and let them deal with it as its an offence to use someones broadband without thier permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

When he is outside again switch off the router at the plug.!

Keep and eye on him

If he leaves you know he was using your broadband! :D

Then you need to do something.

He's there again now... Just about to do that... Back in 5 minutes folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

:D

• Advertisement

keanooo wrote: »
    He's there again now... Just about to do that... Back in 5 minutes folks.

Yup. Stopped typing after about 30 seconds or so. Hung around for 3 minutes not typing. Then put on the gloves and left.

Cheers bonzodog I'll check that out tomorrow.

Yup. Stopped typing after about 30 seconds or so. Hung around for 3 minutes not typing. Then put on the gloves and left.

Cheers bonzodog I'll check that out tomorrow.

And, he's just back there again now! The man has no shame.

And, he's just back there again now! The man has no shame.

tell the cops hes using your internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

What is the model of your belkin router? There will most likely be a basic user guide with pics online to configure the security settings.

Two things to make sure:

1 Choose WPA or WPA2 when setting up security as WEP can be broken quite easily

2 Make sure to change the password on the router if it is a default password.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's Wi-Fi

So the bible says ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

GET IT SECURED AND FAST.
    My house mate was letting on he never used the wirless internet thus wouldnt split the bill. "why should i pay for broadband i dont use"
    Using Mcafee virus software i got there was a neat little map of my wireless traffic very easy to understand, showed Who was loggin on etc and showed a pop up anytime an Invader came on to my network. Noticed a person logging on regularly couldnt work out who it was.
    The log on Times corresponded with my housemates return to the house and departure
    As soon as i put a password on it he was knocking on my door within 15 minutes looking for the password for the lap top he had "bought that day"
    Amazing seeing as his new lap top was called the same as the invader from the past few months
    Transpired my sneaky house mate had been using the net on the sly with a hidden lap top in his room.
    Once set up its easy to change password etc.

harney wrote: »
    What is the model of your belkin router? There will most likely be a basic user guide with pics online to configure the security settings.

Two things to make sure:

Wireless G Router model # f5d7632-4

192.168.2.1 should be your default ip address for the router. Put it in internet explorer at the address bar. Your Router page should come up :D

Two things to make sure:

model # f5d7632-4

Thank you.

there is a very serious side to this and that is what is he doing on it that could get you the blame for some very dodgy stuff he might be up to.:mad:

You can call the guards and let them deal with it as its an offence to use someones broadband without thier permission.

see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61342261

Have him arrested :cool:

192.168.2.1 should be your default ip address for the router. Put it in internet explorer at the address bar. Your Router page should come up :D

I've done that.

Chosen WPA/WPA2.

There's an option for Authentication: 802 or pre-shared?

Do I put in any Authetication key?

model # f5d7632-4

Thank you.

Go to this link

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=f5d7632uk4a&aid=5591&scid=0

I would imagine that yours is about halfway down the page under

F5D7632 version 3 and 4 - User Manual

Down load the pdf (right click and save as) rather than opening it as it is quite big.

The settings you need are on page 37 - Setting WPA/WPA2-PSK (no server)

It is straight forward. It might be a good idea to have a network cable around in case you accidently lock yourself out :)

Later you can think about changing your SSID or hiding it if you wish, but just using WPA/WPA2 should stop the opportunistic hackers out there.

I've done that.

Chosen WPA/WPA2.

There's an option for Authentication: 802 or pre-shared?

Do I put in any Authetication key?

Use pre-shared and put in a phrase that you will remember.

Use pre-shared and put in a phrase that you will remember.

No prizes for guessing that I got cut off. (Thanks for the advice on the cable).

When I tried to connect as usual I get the message: The settings saved on this computer for this network, do not match the network...

How to proceed?

• Advertisement

Figured that final bit out. bonzodog, harney and stephendevlin thanks for you help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 time4tea

Have him arrested?

just secure your network the cops aren't going to be bothered with likes of this

I know. So what's the point in having these laws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Using Mcafee virus software i got there was a neat little map of my wireless traffic very easy to understand, showed Who was loggin on etc and showed a pop up anytime an Invader came on to my network.

Are there any free software that does this? Lately I have noticed traffic on my wireless that is not me or any background programs. I've changed the password but I really don't know much about wireless networking or security.

D wrote: »
    Are there any free software that does this? Lately I have noticed traffic on my wireless that is not me or any background programs. I've changed the password but I really don't know much about wireless networking or security.

Do you have anything else like a PDA phone / PS3 anything else that uses the internet. Could be making the connections that you see.

Is your connection to your router secured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 time4tea

I know. So what's the point in having these laws

Well I think the law is a bit ridiculous personally. Iphones etc will just connect automatically to unsecure network so it's a grey area with regards to intent.

I'd never heard that it was illegal to run an unsecure network in Germany.
    IMO this way is better.
    That way if you have a wireless network then it's your responsibility to ensure it is secure.
    If the Owner is clued up then these things are less likely to happen and no one gets any nasty surprises caused by some randomer downloading stuff on their IP address.

time4tea wrote: »
    Well I think the law is a bit ridiculous personally. Iphones etc will just connect automatically to unsecure network so it's a grey area with regards to intent.

I'd never heard that it was illegal to run an unsecure network in Germany.
    IMO this way is better.
    That way if you have a wireless network then it's your responsibility to ensure it is secure.
    If the Owner is clued up then these things are less likely to happen and no one gets any nasty surprises caused by some randomer downloading stuff on their IP address.

My other point is why do we have gardai that ignore laws no matter how rediculous.

The ISP's can secure networks as far as im aware to routers they supply. it should be done by law as a default from the ISP / Manufacturer then if you leave it open you would be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Do you have anything else like a PDA phone / PS3 anything else that uses the internet. Could be making the connections that you see.

Is your connection to your router secured?

No nothing else was running at the time. The connection is WPA secured with a password.

D wrote: »
    No nothing else was running at the time. The connection is WPA secured with a password.

Change the Key and see if it helps.

You shouldnt have any unauthorised connections unless its an eircom router on a standard issued key (one that hasnt been changed since first delivered.)

The key can be easily obtained for these through several means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

Congrats in securing your wi-fi network.
    Now post the Key here :D

Advertisement