Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC / Mini Server

Options
  • 26-01-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I want to put together a HTPC / Mini Server for myself, I have a max budget of around 400euro.

I'm a competent PC builder but with the HTPC aspect i've run against the wall with regard to sound via HDMI.

Ive seen some AMD Graphics Cards with Passive cooling will allow for audio but only Dolby Sound... im not entirely sure what this means.

As for the Server side I would like to use this Network Storage and also the ability to run some low powered stuff like a Minecraft Server.... I dont think minecraft needs alot of oomph though.

Any suggested builds or ways to get over the HDMI sound issue... It will be connected directly to my TV with no Amp's to be seen.

I do not need a keyboard / mouse / remote solution as I already have a Logitech DiNovo Mini for this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I use one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-EAH5570-SILENT-1GD2-Graphics/dp/B003EVZN4U
    Works fine with my telly.

There is a low profile one made by HIS:
    http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-547.shtml
    Hard to find in the shops, small heatsink compared to the Asus one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Thanks mate, is that connected to the sound via a SPDIF connector or does it handle the sound through the pcie slot?

Does it play all system sounds ok?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

HDMI connection does the picture and sound, no need to do anything, it just works.
    The only problem I had was that the onboard sound on the motherboard was set to default. Changed that to the graphics card built in sound and it all worked.

Advertisement