Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Study Playlist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Silence.
    Complete silence.
    I don't see how you can properly learn something any other way.

If I'm just glancing over stuff I already know I don't have a set playlist, usually some Eluveitie, Maximum the Hormone and/or Ensiferum (or whatever else I want to hear at the time).
    Until I get to something that I don't already know/understand, then it's back to the silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I usually stick on some classical music as I can't really study with songs that have vocals and/or drums. Aphex Twin is also good, best thing to emerge from Limerick ever.

stereomood have some excellent playlists too; the reading, studying, dream compilations are all quite great iirc. One of them has a fantastic piano version of Where Is My Mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Literally, tbh. I find I can only listen to music whilst doing boring, repetitive stuff (like copying notes from one copy to another...and Irish in general) and for stuff I need to focus on and concentrate on music is just a bit of a distraction unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I always listen to music while studying or doing maths. I usually just play anything that is on my iPod, but preferably dance/electronic -type music to stop you from getting tired as easy, plus it doesn't have as many lyrics - I used to have a habit of writing the lyrics down onto the page without thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ooooh I have a study playlist on my iPod. Music may not be the best idea, but I keep it down low and I find it actually makes me sit down and work, instead of getting up every five minutes to do meaningless stuff.

Hmmm, just having a look through the playlist, it's made up of a LOT of Explosions in the Sky, bita Yann Tiersen, some of the more easy-listening The Antlers and The National songs and a good few tunes from The Postal Service, Death Cab and Villagers. Pretty much anything that's nice, but not distracting or loud or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I rarely if ever listen to music while (whilst?) studying. Although I do have a study playlist which largely consists of classical music. Mostly Debussy (<3), a little Telemann and Beethoven Symphony No. 5. (whenever I hear this instantly I hear "Mambo number fiiivvve" in my head).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I listen to whatever music I like when I study, with absolutely no difference from any other playlist I have. I studied for my last debate on Kids & Explosions, Sleigh Bells and Kanye West. I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

I can't study listening to music at all. Even if it was music without lyrics I'd still get distracted by it.
    I need complete silence when studying and also the curtains to be closed because otherwise I'll spend the entire time looking out the window making shapes out of clouds. :o My concentration is woeful at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I listen to white noise. I got an app for my ipod that has the choice of about 6 neutral sounds, things like rain, a fan, a Train going over tracks, An Aeroplane, Even white noise itself. The perfect thing to drown out any noises around you :P

I listen to white noise. I got an app for my ipod that has the choice of about 6 neutral sounds, things like rain, a fan, a Train going over tracks, An Aeroplane, Even white noise itself. The perfect thing to drown out any noises around you :P

Like this?

Works a treat for drowning out outside noises. :D

Are you trolling?? :P
    Not as bad as that, but something to the same effect, Just drowns out everything. :D

Are you trolling?? :P
    A better question: Was Lou Reed trolling? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I listen to silence, best sound ever if I can get it but my lecturers play classical music in the workshop in college, maybe it is calming but it can get repetitive.

Colm! wrote: »
    A better question: Was Lou Reed trolling? :P

I think it suits certain moods. Having said that, I only made it through side 4 once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Colm! wrote: »
    I listen to whatever music I like when I study, with absolutely no difference from any other playlist I have. I studied for my last debate on Kids & Explosions, Sleigh Bells and Kanye West. I rest my case.

:eek:
    How the hell do you study to Sleigh Bells? I was listening to them on a bus to Dublin and had to restrain myself from jumping around the place.

I usually never listen to music when studying; it just distracts me. I end up trawling through my music library instead of concentrating on what I'm supposed to be doing.

:eek:
    How the hell do you study to Sleigh Bells? I was listening to them on a bus to Dublin and had to restrain myself from jumping around the place.
    For much the same reasons: I find myself getting easily bored and distracted whilst studying. Something seriously lively like Sleigh Bells keeps me going. I don't usually play something that extreme, but it does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I'll usually listen to something nice and ambient while studying, like quiet tracks by Boards of Canada, or Helios, or Autechre. Anything more involved will completely distract me, especially if it has lyrics! I'll end up singing along in my head, or drumming my fingers or doodling on my notes along with the rhythm. :p

I try to study in silence, but sometimes it's easier to concentrate while listening to music... I mean, it's preferably to listening to people chatting and noise-making nearby... so it's often helpful.

Jonsi & Alex's Riceboy Sleeps album often crops up in my study playlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I'll usually listen to something nice and ambient while studying, like quiet tracks by Boards of Canada, or Helios, or Autechre. Anything more involved will completely distract me, especially if it has lyrics! I'll end up singing along in my head, or drumming my fingers or doodling on my notes along with the rhythm. :p
    Jonsi & Alex's Riceboy Sleeps album often crops up in my study playlist.

Pretty much listen to those. Sometimes some Explosions in the Sky (the quiet stuff) or Eluvium. But I generally don't listen to music if I can help it. I get way too distracted with silence - music won't really help. I love the sounds you hear in a library.. maybe I can find a cd of that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

My happiest study memory is of sitting in the nicest library in college at night, cramming some biochem and listening to José Gonzalezeses 'Heartbeats' with www.rainymood.com playing. Om nom nom...

Leaving Cert was studied to the sounds of Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, and of course, Mozart and Berlioz. (not so much Seachanges...)

Such choonage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Bitta Aerosmith! Best study band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

A Neurotic wrote: »
    (not so much Seachanges...)

What has been heard

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I used to always listen to music when I studied but I don't really anymore. During my GCSEs I just switched on my parents cd player and listened to whatever was on it. Which happened to be Belinda Carlisle. Any time me or my mum hear her now we just think of that terrible time that was the GCSEs.

Now if I listen to any music at all when studying its just whatever I was listening to anyway. I'm going through a phase of Disney music, Fred and the Beatles. Or my Happy Songs playlist which is only fun upbeat songs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I actually remember reading somewhere that you should never listen to music while learning things, it's bad for learning because your brain subconsciously associate whatever you're learning with whatever song is on at the time - can apparently cause mental blocks that you won't actually be able to remember the material without hearing that song.

Kind of amazing in some ways...

I actually remember reading somewhere that you should never listen to music while learning things, it's bad for learning because your brain subconsciously associate whatever you're learning with whatever song is on at the time - can apparently cause mental blocks that you won't actually be able to remember the material without hearing that song.

Kind of amazing in some ways...
    That can work both ways id say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

A Neurotic wrote: »
    My happiest study memory is of sitting in the nicest library in college at night, cramming some biochem and listening to José Gonzalezeses 'Heartbeats' with www.rainymood.com playing. Om nom nom...
    I got the mp3 for rainymood on my ipod. It's great because it just blocks out noise and doesn't distract you with disgusting melodies.

If I'm in the mood for disgusting melody I have a playlist with:

1. Doves-Kingdom Of Rust
    2.Ian Brown-Stellify
    3.Pearl Jam-Jeremy
    4.Neil Young-Cortez The Killer
    5.The Jam-Thats Entertainment
    6.Fleet Foxes-Textbook Love
    7.LCD Soundsystem-You Wanted A Hit
    8.Neil Young-Southern Man
    9.Radiohead-Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    10.Radiohead-Spirit Street
    11.The Smiths-This Charming Man