Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltachts for 5th years?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys! Right so, I'm in 5th year now and really want to go to a Gaeltacht this summer. But there's so many I don't know which one to choose? I want to go to a good one - I dont intend on spending all that money on "a bit of craic". I want to get at least a B1 in HL irish.
    So which would you recommend? Obviously I want to go to one that's good fun too, like Brú na Pairce wouldnt be my cupán tae, I just don't want one that doesnt properly enforce the Rial na Gaeilge.

Thank you in advance guys!

PS: anyone gone to/heard of Colaiste Uí Chadhain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Coláiste Úi Chadhain is fab, I know a teacher from there and my cousins all went there. Big thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 karkarpops

Oh okay, thanks! Did their Gaeilge vastly improve? Cos that's the big thing I'm looking for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Colaiste Lurgan, in Indreabhan. Great place for improving the Irish. DON'T go to Ceathru Rua. The craic is good, but the Irish is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

I know you don't want to go there ...... But i just said I would post anyway. My friend went to bru na pairce during the summer she went with a friend and she said there was no fun involved ...... as you know..... But your Irish after it is brilliant. Ther are about three or four in her class who went and they are the top in the class now..... Pretty much....

But the work is severe ...... But she said it was worth it in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Colaiste Lurgan, in Indreabhan. Great place for improving the Irish. DON'T go to Ceathru Rua. The craic is good, but the Irish is awful.
    I agree, the Irish in that area is very slang-ey and mixed in with English and it won't do you any good for the oral exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Coláiste Chamuis, Camus. Only way to go. Great fun, great Gaeltacht too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 karkarpops

I was thinking about Lurgan, but the college seems very clique-y? Is this true? Because I'm fairly shy and I dont know if I'd fit in in Lurgan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If I was going into 6th year again, the only place I'd consider going is Bru na Parice tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JackMagic

Coláiste Árainn Mhór, an island off the coast of Donegal - fantastic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I went to colaiste chonnacht. When I went I was failing pass( I know dreadful) at the end of the course I took a mock oral from someone from the gaeltacht and she was so supprised I didn't do honours. I'm now scoring high bs in pass Irish. It worked wonders for me. Definitely consider it. It also has great facilities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

fionnsci wrote: »
    Coláiste Chamuis, Camus. Only way to go. Great fun, great Gaeltacht too.

+1 on Coláiste Chamuis, best one there is from experience and other recommendations.

Advertisement