Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

OPSEC?

we usually publicly tender for tech

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Still no published updates on the commissioning ceremony, meant to be this Saturday on the Liffey at the Beckett bridge. Id like to head along if I knew the time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Both transoms lined up, an illustration of difference in length

BnqRF3CCUAAodTy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Still no published updates on the commissioning ceremony, meant to be this Saturday on the Liffey at the Beckett bridge. Id like to head along if I knew the time

Seems to be Saturday morning with tours in the afternoon.

http://afloat.ie/port-news/navy/item/25245-l%C3%A9-samuel-beckett%E2%80%99s-commissioning-ceremony-to-take-place-close-to-iconic-namesake-bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

BowWow wrote: »

Id say there will be a big crowd for tours.

Get there early.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Despite having her AIS switched off, anyone around the Dalkey/Killiney area with a sea view should see a long sleek and shiny looking naval vessel stooging around in that area currently...

Just happened to catch her passing Howth, lovely conditions for her arrival, her AIS was back up as she entered the channel ahead of the German cruise ship Mein Schiff.

She does have a really nice profile.

Edit: She is berthed on Sir John Rogersons quay just east of the eponymous bridge, must be the location for the ceremony. Should be some nice photo ops from the North Wall. The Liberty Hall webcam has a nice angle on her http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

Just wondering does the liffey tour boat go down as far as the Beckett bridge. I might head down on Sunday and id Imagine you'd get some lovely photos of the ship from the tour boat if it went that far down. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

Anyone know how far the tour boat goes up the liffey? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Have UAV's been purchased for the Beckett? Apparently it can operate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Have UAV's been purchased for the Beckett? Apparently it can operate them.

No none have been bought. That's more building in future capacity rather than a near term feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

anyone got any pictures of her in Dublin ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

aindriu80 wrote: »
    anyone got any pictures of her in Dublin ?
    TKkgFOXl.jpg

boqihckl.jpg

b1Yvedal.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Were there much queues/waiting to get on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Just watching Sam slip out of Dublin Bay against steel grey sea and mist, looks very menacing!

Good luck to her and her crew on her first fully fledged trip as a commissioned vessel of the NS, looking forward to her providing excellent service to the state for many years.

Roll on the James Joyce!

Nationwide did a good program on her this evening on RTE ONE HD. Looks great !

Nationwide did a good program on her this evening on RTE ONE HD. Looks great !

That extra 10m seems to make her look a lot better. The show was a good one alright. Was that Joyce under construction in appledore? Cause it looked like they were certainly advancing on her.

sparky42 wrote: »
    That extra 10m seems to make her look a lot better. The show was a good one alright. Was that Joyce under construction in appledore? Cause it looked like they were certainly advancing on her.

Only makes it more of a ship. Some of the older ships the Navy has seem small now.

It must be Joyce under construction since RTE was only there in the final weeks/months of Beckett.

• Advertisement

Only makes it more of a ship. Some of the older ships the Navy has seem small now.

It must be Joyce under construction since RTE was only there in the final weeks/months of Beckett.

I know, looking at even Eithne in the graving dock her bow looks all wrong and short compared to the modern ships. Good to see so much work done already so on Joyce.

Yes Joyce is the next project as they are already tooled up for it.

The Nationwide special was excellent, id never seen so much of Hawlbowline before and the level of access generally was very informative. It was good to see the build supervision crew getting credit for the years of hard work, they have a great product and have added majorly to the collective knowledge

I think having R Adm Mellett at the top table is a huge advance for the Naval Service and hopefully the modernisation will continue. They really do do a lot with very little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cheers for the Nationwide tip. enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jerryqu

She ( he?..) looked rightly impressive from up close, gleeming so spick and span.
    One question that slipped my mind:
    She was flying a long narrow white streamer from the mast.
    I cant seem to find it under nautical flags, can as anybody enlighten me as to its meaning.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

jerryqu wrote: »
    She ( he?..) looked rightly impressive from up close, gleeming so spick and span.
    One question that slipped my mind:
    She was flying a long narrow white streamer from the mast.
    I cant seem to find it under nautical flags, can as anybody enlighten me as to its meaning.
    Thanks

Commissioning pennant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennant_(commissioning)

http://tmg110.tripod.com/ireland1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

I just watched the Nationwide show. Sam really does look excellent and seeing the James Joyce well underway is wonderful.

Now the focus must turn to the next ship. Does anyone know when they will announce whether or not they intend to take up the option on the third ship? Presumably called the William Butler Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

nowecant wrote: »
    I just watched the Nationwide show. Sam really does look excellent and seeing the James Joyce well underway is wonderful.

Now the focus must turn to the next ship. Does anyone know when they will announce whether or not they intend to take up the option on the third ship? Presumably called the William Butler Yeats.

Doubt it dont forget the defence budget isnt big and the Army are getting hammered with the Re-org.

Were very lucky to be getting Sam and James.

mikeym wrote: »
    Doubt it dont forget the defence budget isnt big and the Army are getting hammered with the Re-org.

Were very lucky to be getting Sam and James.

On the other hand a huge chunk of the navy is at or beyond it's design life span, there's a legitimate argument about spending money to save money there.

sparky42 wrote: »
    I know, looking at even Eithne in the graving dock her bow looks all wrong and short compared to the modern ships. Good to see so much work done already so on Joyce.

After all these years though, I still like the look of Eithne, much more Naval looking than the P20's, who look more like converted trawlers than warships.
    Its a pity the project for the P30's didn't proceed with the planned three ships rather than one, the second and third ships would have been improvements on her.

• Advertisement

nowecant wrote: »

I think it has the option on the third ship up to the JJ being completed which will be this time next year approx. I'd actually think they will give the go ahead, especially if they get the same payment terms.As the build takes about 18 months that would push the payments out to 2020/2021 I think?

What would be interesting then would be whether any moves are made on the EPV(s).

No way it'll be called after Yeats, he was passed over already for P61 and P62.Had a flirtation with Fascism in the 30's I believe, not PC enough.

Advertisement