Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

When is delivery of the James Joyce due for? I know it's sometime in 2015 but that's coming down the tracks fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

roundymac wrote: »
    When is delivery of the James Joyce due for? I know it's sometime in 2015 but that's coming down the tracks fast.

You might also be interested in this

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152448019445944.1073741954.221391530943&type=3

Progress on the Le James Joyce or P62 is looking pretty good and that was in June

When will the next P21 be decommissioned? The Emer went in Sept last year, is the the Aisling or the Aoife that's next to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

When will the next P21 be decommissioned? The Emer went in Sept last year, is the the Aisling or the Aoife that's next to go?

With the Asbestos thing ongoing, it seems likely that they could still be in service for another couple of months yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

With the Asbestos thing ongoing, it seems likely that they could still be in service for another couple of months yet.

Would that impact the crew for the Joyce?

sparky42 wrote: »
    Would that impact the crew for the Joyce?

It shouldn't overly impact that, If/When all the other 7 ships are back fully operational, there would be a crew then available. If that didn;t happen, then you still have a crew to workup etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

Whats the situation with p63? When is she due to be delivered? any word on a name for her yet? I presume they're going to stick with the new tradition od naming her after a writer or poet?

voter1983 wrote: »
    Whats the situation with p63? When is she due to be delivered? any word on a name for her yet? I presume they're going to stick with the new tradition od naming her after a writer or poet?
    Hav'nt started building her yet. P62 will have to be floated out of the dock before work can start on P63.

Hav'nt started building her yet. P62 will have to be floated out of the dock before work can start on P63.

I'd say some of the components maybe already underway, if you look at how quickly Joyce started up. There's also wide enough space for some work in the dock, since they had fairly good lead time they could do some work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Probably a lot depends on how much pressure the yard is under.. I think the yard is booked to make sections for the uk aircraft carrier programe ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Probably a lot depends on how much pressure the yard is under.. I think the yard is booked to make sections for the uk aircraft carrier programe ...

I think their work on that is done. By the time the QE was being combined in Scotland they still had sections in storage outside on the dockside, you could see them in some of the Beckett's photo's when she was moored outside. Given that we have another 18 months of work in the yard I don't think they are doing anything else.

Just drove past the Samuel Beckett on the quays in Cork ... Sorry no photo as I couldn't stop easily ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Just saw over on another site (IMO) that the LE James Joyce P62 will be floated out on the 23/11/14 @ 18.15. I would presume that the keel laying for P63 will take place not too long after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

voter1983 wrote: »

Ask DCOS.

Seems that Joyce is going to be floated out in late November:
    http://bidefordbuzz.org.uk/2014/09/shipping-news-no-116-august-september-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Remarkable how quick you can build a boat when youre all tooled up for it. They must intend to move on quickly to have P63 delivered and presented in time for 1916 centenary.

I think they should call it the Paddy Pearse, but all things considered my money will be on The W.B. Yeats

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Remarkable how quick you can build a boat when youre all tooled up for it. They must intend to move on quickly to have P63 delivered and presented in time for 1916 centenary.

I think they should call it the Paddy Pearse, but all things considered my money will be on The W.B. Yeats

Given that they were given some lead time to start buying the components (engines etc), I'd say that they may already have some work done on P63, from memory some of the photos of Beckett had bits of Joyce already being built in the background.

Again from memory this is about the same time period that Beckett floated out, so if we don't have bad storms again she might make it a bit earlier than March and I'd say they should be able to meet that kind of schedule for P63 as well.

The Irish navel service just added more photos on the progress of P62. Installation of the 76mm OTO Melara. captions says they are from September

Looks good ;-)

nowecant wrote: »
    The Irish navel service just added more photos on the progress of P62. Installation of the 76mm OTO Melara. captions says they are from September

Looks good ;-)

That it does, with float out due in mid November she should be getting painted soon enough if it hasn't already started.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

would love to see an EPV almost completed with a second one being assembled behind it too :)

Morpheus wrote: »
    would love to see an EPV almost completed with a second one being assembled behind it too :)

Yeah, but I doubt you'll see any more investment in that aspect of the Navy in the lifetime of this Government, white paper or no.

In any case I'd imagine the RFI/RFP/RFT process has lapsed by now and would need to be started again from square one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

wouldnt take long to resurrect and resubmit.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Larbre34 wrote: »

I wage the Oscar Wilde.

jimba wrote: »
    I wage the Oscar Wilde.

Doubt they'd want to have the same as an Irish Ferries ship.
    As to the EPV, even if tomorrow morning they started the purchase process, I'd bet you are talking about 2-3 years at best before steel would be cut.

As to the EPV, even if tomorrow morning they started the purchase process, I'd bet you are talking about 2-3 years at best before steel would be cut.

I was thinking kind of similar time frames, I'd give the RFI/RFP/RFT process 8 months per module at a minimum, and because its a new departure and the amount of consultation with the various "Stakeholders" I'd go 4-5 years on the higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

True. Seamus Heaney it is.

I was thinking kind of similar time frames, I'd give the RFI/RFP/RFT process 8 months per module at a minimum, and because its a new departure and the amount of consultation with the various "Stakeholders" I'd go 4-5 years on the higher.

I'd say you are right about that, I'd bet there would be plenty "what about X" from the other forces as well, given that the Navy would have gotten most of the upgrade money (it should but...).

There's also issues around yard availability, if the proposed designs 5 years ago are still available (ie have the design companies moved on). Of course there's also potential issues regarding the Graving dock in Cobh restricting options (assuming that they are still going to be required to use that), for example the Singaporean Endurance class is a cheap Amphib design ($100 million) but is pretty much too big for the dock, even something like the Absalon is fairly close to being too big.

First steal cut on P63 https://www.facebook.com/irishnavalservice/photos/a.712030058879893.1073742036.101764433239795/712030152213217/?type=3&theater

Personally I would be happy if they went for another Samual Beckett OPV (P64) to replace Lé Eithne (P31) which was commissioned 30 years ago. I bet we could get a good price from the yard and there would be no down time. From my limited understanding and anecdotal evidence P61 seems to be an excellent ship and well received by the INS.

This would buy us a couple of years to design/commission/select an EPV or better yet two to replace P41 and P42.

My 2 cents anyway

• Advertisement

What's EPV stand for ?? Extended patrol vessel ?
    What roles does an EPV fulfill that the likes of the Beckett class can't or can't do well...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement