Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TripleC

Hey Gang

I am relatively new to this forum so apologies if I inadvertently strayed off topic!!

I will try to self moderate in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

TripleC wrote: »
    BTW, has anybody ever read Adrian McIvors History of the Irish Naval Service?

I saw it online and was thinking of buying it.

Any good?

I purchased and read that book a few years ago, and it's still part of my Irish military book collection. A very good read!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TripleC

Silvera wrote: »
    I purchased and read that book a few years ago, and it's still part of my Irish military book collection. A very good read!

Thanks Buddy.....have ordered it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Pictures on the Official NS Facebook page of the LE William Butler Yeats P63 being floated out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Nice photo's of her being floated out, hopefully the fit out and trials go well this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Any update on how P63 is getting on? I cant find any information about her

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As she was floated out 7 weeks ago for a long interior and systems fitout, I wouldnt say we'll hear about sea trials until July at the earliest, then hopefully she won't suffer the troublesome vibrations of JJ or other problems.

I would estimate we'll see delivery and commissioning before the end of September

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I didn't know we had a samuel becket till recently, and now we have a wb yeats, so we have the Aoife, Eithnne, Niamh, thats 5 is there a 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I didn't know we had a samuel becket till recently, and now we have a wb yeats, so we have the Aoife, Eithnne, Niamh, thats 5 is there a 6th.

The fleet is currently:

AÍSLING (P23)
    EITHNE (P31)
    ORLA (P41)
    CÍARA (P42)
    RÓISÍN (P51)
    NIAMH (P52)
    SAMUEL BECKETT (P61)
    JAMES JOYCE (P62)

Aisling will be making way for W.B. Yeats (P63)

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

so good i liked your duplicated comment twice :)

Morpheus wrote: »

Sorry about that, not sure how that happened to be honest, but still good news if it comes into being.

Wonder what the new ship will be? 2 of the EPV's? Another P60? Of the older hulls Eithne is due for replacement first?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

sparky42 wrote: »
    Sorry about that, not sure how that happened to be honest, but still good news if it comes into being.

Wonder what the new ship will be? 2 of the EPV's? Another P60? Of the older hulls Eithne is due for replacement first?

Eithne was built in 1984 as was Ciara, Orla was built in 1985 so all three of them are due to be replaced around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Lord giveth with one hand...

Defence has lost senior minister status permanently, the Taoiseach has taken it under his own remit and the Minister of State for his Department, Paul Kehoe, will have 'special responsibility' for Defence.

I'll say it now, Coveney was a good Minister, this is a bad turn of events for the prospects of the DF.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Boreas

sparky42 wrote: »
    Morpheus wrote: »

Will it definitely be a new ninth ship? Is it possible they'll just decide to keep Eithne in service for a few years along side her replacement?

Boreas wrote: »
    Will it definitely be a new ninth ship? Is it possible they'll just decide to keep Eithne in service for a few years along side her replacement?

Well that still means increases in crew numbers, support staff, and the inertia of having 9 ships rather than 8. If Eithne could manage to go another 5/10 years and then get replaced by a second EPV how bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Lord giveth with one hand...

Defence has lost senior minister status permanently, the Taoiseach has taken it under his own remit and the Minister of State for his Department, Paul Kehoe, will have 'special responsibility' for Defence.

I'll say it now, Coveney was a good Minister, this is a bad turn of events for the prospects of the DF.

I will second that.

I hate Fine Gael but Simon Coveney was the best minister of defence the Navy has had. While other previous ministers didnt have a clue what the Navy did at sea.

I suppose living near Cork Harbour was an advantage too.

According to the Navy's Facebook post, WBY is to start sea trials next month, and Aisling is going out on her last patrol.
    Here's hoping that WBY doesn't have the same issues as JJ, and should we start guessing what happens to Aisling?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That ,about 95 metres. With an x bow( or an xbow and x stern) of course I have no idea how much fuel one would use compared to a beckett

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Keep those Beckett's coming.

Might as well fill out the fleet with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Boreas

LE Bram Stoker?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

LE Bram Stoker?

They may skew modern & female.

The time has come for the LE Marian Keys

Personally I think its great news. From what I understand its a capable design and will help cut costs in terms of maintenance and training.

It also bides time to be begin tendering for an EPV with some, albeit limited, troop carrying facilities. Would it be possible that as part of the 9 ship NS spoken about recently that we could tender for two such vessels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

LE Bram Stoker?

LÉ Seamus Heaney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Good news like this should always be welcomed.

May I be the first to suggest the LÉ Patrick Kavanagh.

"And I wiped me arse
    With perennial grass
    By the banks
    Of a summer stream."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

The wife wanted to know why Irish female writer's names were not being considered.
    Then I had a horrible thought.

LÉ Amanda Brunker.

They wouldn't, would they?

Advertisement