Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The wife wanted to know why Irish female writer's names were not being considered.
    Then I had a horrible thought.

LÉ Amanda Brunker.

They wouldn't, would they?

Could be worse. LE Cecilia Ahern anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

LE Maeve Binchy would remind people of the corvettes as well as a great Irish writer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The wife wanted to know why Irish female writer's names were not being considered.

They seem to be going for the tourist market the way they name their vessels, and sadly there weren't many world-renowned Irish female authors until relatively recently, and most of these are still alive which probably doesn't meet the criteria.

Irish women had more of an influence on the oral tradition, one good candidate would be Eibhlín Dubh Ní Chonaill who wrote the Lament for Art O'Leary.

The only obvious female candidate that would be well known is Lady Gregory, I suspect Maeve Binchy would be a bit too timid of a namesake.

They'll probably go with Oscar Wilde, although I'd prefer LE Roddy Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Since there is an Oscar Wilde car ferry I doubt that they would copy that. I'd love to see the LE Brendan Behan or the LE Sean O'Faolain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is this a replacement for Eithne or is the fleet being expanded to a Nine ship Navy?

If thats the case it will have an impact on the servicemen and women good and bad.

The irish independent article is wrong it reads "State to buy third naval vessel in €200m deal" when Three ships have been bought already.(Sam,James,Yeats)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

mikeym wrote: »
    Is this a replacement for Eithne or is the fleet being expanded to a Nine ship Navy?

If thats the case it will have an impact on the servicemen and women good and bad.

The irish independent article is wrong it reads "State to buy third naval vessel in €200m deal" when Three ships have been bought already.(Sam,James,Yeats)

In terms of the independent article, I'm guessing what they were trying to get to is that in total with 4 it would be around the 200 mark. I don't think there's been any suggestion that she's to replace Eithne, think the EPV idea is just pushed back more, might be hoping that some of the potential ideas around might come into affect by then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

A pre delivery sea trials Captain would be a lovely job, varied and interesting and great craic too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If the 4th ship is outside of the original contract then surely the 4th ship should have went to a tender rather than going straight to the same ship builder

ted1 wrote: »
    If the 4th ship is outside of the original contract then surely the 4th ship should have went to a tender rather than going straight to the same ship builder

Suppose it just depends on how they decided, since Appledore was out of business without this I guess they were willing to give a good rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Did you read the one comment on that devon newspaper site...
    If I could be arsed logging on to it i'd point out that the irish naval service will soon have 6 appledore built ships in its small fleet.. and at least 2 of those had eu money involved..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

How about calling the fourth ship LÉ Jonathan Swift?

The writer of Gullivers Travels would be a good choice for a naval ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

doolox wrote: »

Also already a ferry I think or was anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

chillin117 wrote: »
    A pre delivery sea trials Captain would be a lovely job, varied and interesting and great craic too :)

It's not, the engineers have more say in what you do. The ship yard have to prove to the customer that the hydrodynamics and engine output is per specification etc. It's not like you get to take a new ship out for a burn ;) A ships pilot is far more interesting and varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

salmocab wrote: »
    Also already a ferry I think or was anyway

What would it matter if it is already a ferry with some foreign company?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

Then I had a horrible thought.

LÉ Amanda Brunker.

They wouldn't, would they?

They might, but think of the headlines it could give us:

"Amanda Brunker sold for scrap"

" Amanda brunker holed below the waterline"

"Amanda Brunner scuttled"

And I didn't even need a seamen joke :D

doolox wrote: »

Also an Irish Ferries name already.

What would it matter if it is already a ferry with some foreign company?

Whatever the ownership of Irish Ferries it still sails out of Ireland, so I doubt the Navy would go for a duplication of the name, besides there are still others. Bram Stoker jumps to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sparky42 wrote: »
    Whatever the ownership of Irish Ferries it still sails out of Ireland, so I doubt the Navy would go for a duplication of the name, besides there are still others. Bram Stoker jumps to mind.

Bram Stoker does sound cool to be fair

Markcheese wrote: »
    Did you read the one comment on that devon newspaper site...
    If I could be arsed logging on to it i'd point out that the irish naval service will soon have 6 appledore built ships in its small fleet.. and at least 2 of those had eu money involved..

Just read it, what an idiot. Considering even the P60's have issues with the yard, anyone with common sense should be able to see how limited it is even compared to the other UK yards let alone the EU yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sparky42 wrote: »
    Suppose it just depends on how they decided, since Appledore was out of business without this I guess they were willing to give a good rate.

That's not how the rules of procurement work. When your spending public money, there needs to be an open tender.

• Advertisement

That's not how the rules of procurement work. When your spending public money, there needs to be an open tender.

Other nations have single provider tenders for certain procurement, do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The procurement document probably included options for additional orders

ectoraige wrote: »
    The procurement document probably included options for additional orders

It had the option for a 3 one, WBY, that was used, but I don't think there was anything in the contract for a fourth one, not that I'm complaining about a new ship. Just think only a couple of years ago we were thinking that we were unlikely to get a 1 for 1 replacement and now we have 4 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are eithne and the peacocks near end of life... is a refit viable or even necessary..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are eithne and the peacocks near end of life... is a refit viable or even necessary..

Think Eithne got some level of work on her within the last year with a good report on her material condition, I wouldn't be surprised if she keeps going a while longer (which might be why the EPV spec is only being dusted off now). Not sure about the Peacocks given their usage, but since there's nothing really on the cards that fill it and the Anti-IED suggestion of the WP it will be a while I'd say before anything happens.

WBY is out on trials at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Nope very much incorrect I'm afraid an open tender is just one of many options available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

With Brexit probably making the LÉ Amanda Brunker the last Irish Naval Vessel to be built in the UK, what are our shipbuilding options going forward?

Which shipyards in the EU have the capability to deliver a similar vessel for the same (or less?) money?

Advertisement