Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

It wouldn't surprise me if the next ship is the Sean O'Casey, after that you're kinda running out of writers who have been sufficently dead for a long enough period, Wilde being already used.

So maybe we'll move on to Footballers, animated TV characters, or even ...............Nuns Ted!!

The LE Flann O'Brien would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Don't know about how they'd handle the Graving Dock to be honest, how many times a year would a ship use it?Offshore the work? resize the dock? I'd say for the future Larger ships are going to be the Norm, so it might be worth it longterm.

A COTS design where you're basically sticking on an OTO MALERA and painting it grey may be an option, really depends on what requirements come out in the documentation.
    I've a feeling the NS/DF may take the opportunity to go a bit more warry though, especially with whom currently occupies the COS berth.

Personally I'm in favour of a FREMM hospital ship defensively armed Destroyer!!

Unless we are planning a LARGE increase in large hulls, I don't see the NS getting into the headache of trying to rebuild the Graving Dock, perhaps if a cheap Floating dock was on the go, but I can still see plenty of political resistance, maybe send it up North?

As to a COTS design, I was thinking more the current crop of proposed designs from MEKO/Damen etc, BAE and Co. don't have anything that matches what we might be thinking off. The problem for "more warry" is the limited amount of money that's been floated for the hull, unless we get cute with the paper work.

As to a FREMM hospital Frigate, an interesting suggestion, sadly, short of gutting it, it's out of the price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Surely an expanded graving dock would be cheaper than modifying an OTS hull offering.

Any MRV with blue water capability will be 140 x 20 or so, no getting around that.
    It'd nearly be cheaper to build a new graving dock adjoining the Hawlbowline basin on all that spare land, save all that shuttling to Verolme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is this thing the dry/graving dock you guys are referring to?

haulbowl.png

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Surely an expanded graving dock would be cheaper than modifying an OTS hull offering.

Any MRV with blue water capability will be 140 x 20 or so, no getting around that.
    It'd nearly be cheaper to build a new graving dock adjoining the Hawlbowline basin on all that spare land, save all that shuttling to Verolme.

Building a new dock on Hawlbowline doesn't make sense, we just don't have the hull numbers (and aren't likely to get there) to justify it, at least with Cobh's one commercial hulls use it as well reducing costs, a naval one only would be unused for the majority of the time. Since Cobh can take something up to Absalon sized are we likely to get something larger?

• Advertisement

Is this thing the dry/graving dock you guys are referring to?

That's the old one in the Basin, but it's been out of use since before Steel, the pump rooms were filled with Concrete and the Caison is what you can see floating in the middle of the dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Any news about the UAVs that the P60s were to be equipted with or has this been dropped?

roundymac wrote: »
    Any news about the UAVs that the P60s were to be equipted with or has this been dropped?

Nothing new that's hit the news, but remember the budgets now have to deal with an extra P60 to be paid for, and given that this budget only increased the Defence budget by some 16 million and the Air Corps is using about 6 of that to buy a new PC9, there's not exactly a lot of money around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Are drones completely self sufficient from launch to land or does the sensor suite on board the ship need updating? I suppose at least a room with monitors etc would be essential but would the ship need active radar etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭thomil

gallag wrote: »
    Are drones completely self sufficient from launch to land or does the sensor suite on board the ship need updating? I suppose at least a room with monitors etc would be essential but would the ship need active radar etc?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, drones operate semi-autonomously, meaning that they follow a flight plan set from a ground station. For most UAVs, this can be updated while in-flight. They do stream live telemetry and data from their cameras back to their ground station, and can be directly controlled if need be, however, they mostly do their own thing. The crew in the ground station are there to monitor the incoming data and take action if needed.

As far as sensor equipment is concerned, you'd be looking at some kind of antenna system for communication with the UAV, both within visual range of the mother ship and bounced via a satellite for over-the-horizon operations if needed. I don't see that an air-search radar is an absolute necessity, certainly not for smaller systems like ScanEagle.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Anyone hear of the FB Campaign to name P64 after Tom Crean

Anyone hear of the FB Campaign to name P64 after Tom Crean

While I think it would be a good name for her, I'm not exactly thrilled if we get to the stage that naming our ships ends up as Social Media campaigns.

sparky42 wrote: »
    While I think it would be a good name for her, I'm not exactly thrilled if we get to the stage that naming our ships ends up as Social Media campaigns.

To be honest I can't see it happening. The should continue the naming convention they have for all the Beckett's, and name P64 after a literary figure, Oscar Wilde, GB Shaw, Seamus Heaney, Brendan Behan etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

This design might be a little large for us, but it's an interesting concept.

https://warisboring.com/sometimes-you-just-need-a-really-tough-frigate-a16745ea6cc4#.k0b6fz9s7

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Keel laid for P64. I'll ask for the title to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

OzCam wrote: »

https://warisboring.com/sometimes-you-just-need-a-really-tough-frigate-a16745ea6cc4#.k0b6fz9s7

At $735m, its probably about 3 times over our budget and doesn't have any of the cargo carrying capability that the DF were looking to build in, at least in the last iteration of the design.

OzCam wrote: »

Not sure what's "interesting" about it to be honest, it's just the newest USCG design.
    I mean it's baseline weapons fit-out isn't huge for it's tonnage (for something that size (and presuming 1 EPV) you'd want some level of self defence missile (ESSM/Aster 15/SeaCeptor).
    As said it doesn't have the cargo carrying capacity like the Absalon's (a lot cheaper).

The latest of the Beckets will be named George Bernard Shaw.

Not exactly a surprise there.

http://afloat.ie/port-news/navy/item/35121-fourth-irish-naval-service-vessel-to-be-named-george-bernard-shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah, nuts, theres a fiver ill never see again, I was banking on L.É. 'Dancin' Dessie Cahill.

Was there not some concern that the Shaw family wouldnt agree with his inclusion in the nomemclature as its a 'warship' etc? I know that came up with some of the previous names too.

I had a laugh at Minister of State Kehoe's compliment to Babcock that they design 'stylish' ships, an interesting choice of words. Many a 'stylish' naval design in the world, especially lately, has turned out to be a complete lemon unsuited to its task. Not the Becketts in fairness, best of luck to the Shaw build team in the rest of their work.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ah, nuts, theres a fiver ill never see again, I was banking on L.É. 'Dancin' Dessie Cahill.

Was there not some concern that the Shaw family wouldnt agree with his inclusion in the nomemclature as its a 'warship' etc? I know that came up with some of the previous names too.

I had a laugh at Minister of State Kehoe's compliment to Babcock that they design 'stylish' ships, an interesting choice of words. Many a 'stylish' naval design in the world, especially lately, has turned out to be a complete lemon unsuited to its task. Not the Becketts in fairness, best of luck to the Shaw build team in the rest of their work.

Especially as I doubt Babcock had much input to the design, seeing as its a modified STX offering.

Especially as I doubt Babcock had much input to the design, seeing as its a modified STX offering.

Hell from the talk that I attended a few years back I'd say the Navy had more input into the design changes of the 60's than Babcock, but I suppose he had to say something nice to them.

Hell from the talk that I attended a few years back I'd say the Navy had more input into the design changes of the 60's than Babcock, but I suppose he had to say something nice to them.

They did, Kehoe is a tad clueless though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LE AISLING for sale on Mach 23rd unless sold previously.
    http://www.dominicjdaly.com/index.php/marine/boats/63-le-aisling

LE AISLING for sale on Mach 23rd unless sold previously.
    http://www.dominicjdaly.com/index.php/marine/boats/63-le-aisling

I wonder who will end up buying her...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I wonder who will end up buying her...

Lets hope she doesnt end up scrapped (after spending a few years as a 'private yacht') like one of the previous NS ships (name?) :confused:

Silvera wrote: »
    Lets hope she doesnt end up scrapped (after spending a few years as a 'private yacht') like one of the previous NS ships (name?) :confused:

LE. Deirde from memory, a sad way to go.

The Maltese are at full stretch with Aoife so they don't need her. Not sure who else, maybe one of the African nations like Emer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

LE. Deirde from memory, a sad way to go.

The Maltese are at full stretch with Aoife so they don't need her. Not sure who else, maybe one of the African nations like Emer?
    City of Galway want her as museum ship, one African and one Far East navy have expressed interest and a yacht club here in Ireland somewhere want her for a floating clubhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

This is a great idea, with the exchange rates the way they are and Babcock Marine / Appledore
    €130m for two ships, I assume with the possibility of ordering a third?

I would love to know what they are thinking design wise. Perhaps P41/P42 replacement? I understand that theses are to have counter-mine capabilities.

Advertisement