Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Them auld River class are a bit mickey mouse anyway. I had a butcher's at one a couple of years ago when it was moored next to HMS Belfast just next to tower bridge. Only a pea shooter as the main forward facing gun (20mm) if I remember correctly. Interesting it had a helideck which was quite handy. Better gettin something brand new to keep commonality with latest command and control software with P60 series IMO.

Is it just me or is this lad a PAIN IN THE HOLE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Savage93 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this lad a PAIN IN THE HOLE

I keep visualising........

JakeStevens1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Keep to the nautical theme please...not the naughty theme. I believe the dear gentleman meant a pain in the HULL !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]

The hell?!

All right, Johnny. Mature, constructive posts only, from this point on, please, less... colloquialism. Fun's over.

Savage, Labre, let it drop. We'll see how Jonny goes on.[/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I wonder when we see the latest ship getting closer to delivery will we see more movement on the new MRV or peacocks replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

roadmaster wrote: »
    I wonder when we see the latest ship getting closer to delivery will we see more movement on the new MRV or peacocks replacement

Wonder if it might come under the capital plan tomorrow for the MRV? We may see an announcement about one of the Peacocks going out of service to man the P64.

I know crews are an issue but would one becket cover the workload of ciara and orla?

Impossible!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Cammell Laird design for the upcoming procurement process for the design and build of five Royal Navy T31e frigates. £250m pricetag.

DWotybsX4AEOdXC.jpg:large

She'd make a grand flagship...

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The Cammell Laird design for the upcoming procurement process for the design and build of five Royal Navy T31e frigates. £250m pricetag.

snip
    She'd make a grand flagship...

Assuming she stays on spec, on price and on time, given BAE are going in with that one I wouldn't hold my breath given their track record. And of course if a baby frigate is what the Navy wants and that the Government would fund all the pricey bits or just leave her with a 76mm and FFBNW the rest.

• Advertisement

I agree that this ship would be a very appropriate choice if affordable within the budget. Problem is that the planned in-service date for the first one is 2023....and there are 5 in the queue already (excluding options). So it's unlikely that the NS could get their hands on one until about 2028? I don't think the present bit of kit will last another 10 years

Separately....I see that the Peackocks are slated for a "half life refit " according to the government spending plan. These ships were launched in about 1984 85. So that means they are already about 34 years old. That sounds more like a last quarter refit to me.

I agree that this ship would be a very appropriate choice if affordable within the budget. Problem is that the planned in-service date for the first one is 2023....and there are 5 in the queue already (excluding options). So it's unlikely that the NS could get their hands on one until about 2028? I don't think the present bit of kit will last another 10 years

Separately....I see that the Peackocks are slated for a "half life refit " according to the government spending plan. These ships were launched in about 1984 85. So that means they are already about 34 years old. That sounds more like a last quarter refit to me.

Well even with the slid in the pound they would still be the better part of 100 million more than the current budget for EPV. As for the In service date, given the current state of the RN I'd bet they would be willing to move hulls around if there was a foreign order (given that it's going to be modular assembly there might be other options).

Also it's not the Peacocks that are getting their refits, it's the P50's Roisin and Niamh that are getting their refits (being delivered in the early 00's). The Peacocks will end of life, as I've said P64 needs a crew so one of them is going to be laid up I'd bet if not stripped to keep the other in service.

Have you got a better suggestion. Maybe some of the German or French ships?

Have you got a better suggestion. Maybe some of the German or French ships?

Since we have only an idea of what the NS wanted a decade plus ago, no I don't. Until we know what the idea is meant to be there's little point in guessing.

Are we looking for something like the Absalon with both self defence and sea lift for troops and vehicles? Or a Light Frigate with only small numbers of light infantry supported? Do we need "mission bays" for UUV's etc?

For the Leander it's helicopter hanger is limited to Wildcat level, is that enough or do we want the capability for a Medium lift like Merlin or NH90...

We have no idea of anything other than "around €200m" and "helicopter capable" (though no mention of actually buying a rated helicopter of course).

From another site, reports that Shaw will be floated out 2nd of March.

That Arrowhead design from Babcocks looks like a fairly good fit for the mrv. It can accommodate a company sized unit as well as the crew of 80. Has a very decent sized helideck as well and the design is modular for different missions
    I imagine the NS has cannibalized the weapons off one of the decommissioned vessels so could be recycled to save a few bob. Also the excellent relationship with Babcocks could lead to a decent price and NS seem happy with quality of the P60 series..... I prefer the Absalon but I understand it's not readily available. This might be the next best thing at 120m long and 4000 tons it seems to hit some of the right spots?

That Arrowhead design from Babcocks looks like a fairly good fit for the mrv. It can accommodate a company sized unit as well as the crew of 80. Has a very decent sized helideck as well and the design is modular for different missions
    I imagine the NS has cannibalized the weapons off one of the decommissioned vessels so could be recycled to save a few bob. Also the excellent relationship with Babcocks could lead to a decent price and NS seem happy with quality of the P60 series..... I prefer the Absalon but I understand it's not readily available. This might be the next best thing at 120m long and 4000 tons it seems to hit some of the right spots?

The Arrowhead doesn't and won't exist (and hasn't finished design work yet), Babcock is combining that design with the BMT Venator to try and win the 31 contract, what they combine to produce is something we'll have to wait and see.

Now that the lads are set to head off down the Med again with a somewhat more robust...rules of engagement. I think it would have been a good idea to have a half dozen of those Seahaven marine assault boats to blast any dodgy chaps out of the water. Would be good to showcase an incredible product for the albeit small defence manufacturing sector at home. Betcha Jonny Italian would have been most impressed and a good few orders gained on the strength of it. Just my opinion mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Now that the lads are set to head off down the Med again with a somewhat more robust...rules of engagement. I think it would have been a good idea to have a half dozen of those Seahaven marine assault boats to blast any dodgy chaps out of the water. Would be good to showcase an incredible product for the albeit small defence manufacturing sector at home. Betcha Jonny Italian would have been most impressed and a good few orders gained on the strength of it. Just my opinion mind.

Seahaven or Safehaven?

Sorry bud...Safehaven Marine is the Cork and Youghal based manufacturer. Very impressive outfit. Check the vids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Deploy B.É. Thunderchild!

Gone a wee bit quiet here....

Gone a wee bit quiet here....

What's to be said? P64 is in fitting out and will be for several months yet, no news on which hull is going out of service, and EPV is still a paper project.

A lot to be said imo. In light of Ireland giving up the stupid neutrality policy...time to buy a decent frigate to patrol the western coast backed up by advanced radar and a squadron of Saab Griffen fighter intercepters. All imo of course. Hope you are well. Time to show Putin what we are made of!

A lot to be said imo. In light of Ireland giving up the stupid neutrality policy...time to buy a decent frigate to patrol the western coast backed up by advanced radar and a squadron of Saab Griffen fighter intercepters. All imo of course. Hope you are well. Time to show Putin what we are made of!

We haven't given up anything in terms of the neutrality position, even the PESCO is still a very limited opt out area that may or may not survive the next change of Government.

As to your wish list, it's not going to happen, the DF budget is shrinking relative to the GDP spend and there's no political capital in the DF spend. Eithne will be replaced by something pretty much OPV plus by the sounds of it (think Spanish BAM/ Dutch Holland class), and that's it for the Navy redevelopment for another 3-5 years.

Ah well...**** happens. Time to throw a bit of money at the Aer Corps then... so the naval lads have some back up...a bit of the "close air support " could come in handy if Jonny Russian turns up in Galway Bay IMO

Ah well...**** happens. Time to throw a bit of money at the Aer Corps then... so the naval lads have some back up...a bit of the "close air support " could come in handy if Jonny Russian turns up in Galway Bay IMO

What are you on about?

We are not neutral we never where we are non aligned. Which meant as such we waited to see what way the wind was blowing

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    We are not neutral we never where we are non aligned. Which meant as such we waited to see what way the wind was blowing

While doing feck all to actually enforce our neutrality...

Advertisement