Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

A lot to be said imo. In light of Ireland giving up the stupid neutrality policy...time to buy a decent frigate to patrol the western coast backed up by advanced radar and a squadron of Saab Griffen fighter intercepters. All imo of course. Hope you are well. Time to show Putin what we are made of!
    Get out your big wallet so.:confused: A pure troll if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Me...A troll. All I'm tryin to do is liven up the discussion a bit. I read in the paper a few days ago that Croatia has just splashed out 400 million quid on a shed load of ex Israeli Air Force F15 's. Considering that Croatia didn't even exist 20 years ago and is not a big economy, then so don't see anything amiss in suggesting that defence spending should be ramped up to at least 2% of GDP. The NS should have at least one ship with a serious war fighting capability and the poor auld Air Corps is a bit of a joke. Now that the offshore oil and gas industry is gaining momentum again this is another reason to have a stronger defence in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are other threads for that...

True. By the way Sparky...I checked out your suggested Holland class vessel on several websites. Looks just the ticket to me as well. Suggest that they opt for the stealth cupula to house the main 76mm gun and utilize 2 of the safe haven fast attack boats. One of the sites I looked at had cracking photos of the interior including the dining room and the bar. I'm sure this would get the thumbs up from the NS and would make an excellent flagship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sounds like a role change according to the news today, (away from simply being a taxi service)

LÉ Samuel Beckett taking part in 'mission to disrupt human trafficking'
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/0415/954631-le-samuel-beckett-cork/
    ...to identify, capture and dispose of vessels involved in human trafficking in an area of the south-central Mediterranean.

Could it be the recent Italian elections (not to mention opinion in Hungry or Poland), could have influenced the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Sounds like a role change according to the news today, (away from simply being a taxi service)

LÉ Samuel Beckett taking part in 'mission to disrupt human trafficking'
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/0415/954631-le-samuel-beckett-cork/

Could it be the recent Italian elections (not to mention opinion in Hungry or Poland), could have influenced the change?

No, that has been the standing role of the EU task force since it was deployed. And since we moved over to that last year for the last deployment it’s been our role to. So no change just a resumption of operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

sparky42 wrote: »
    No, that has been the standing role of the EU task force since it was deployed. And since we moved over to that last year for the last deployment it’s been our role to. So no change just a resumption of operations.

The article seemed to imply or emphasis the 'identify, capture and dispose of vessels' angle.

Have they 'disposed of' many illegal human trafficking vessels in recent years in the Med?

The article seemed to imply or emphasis the 'identify, capture and dispose of vessels' angle.

Have they 'disposed of' many illegal human trafficking vessels in recent years in the Med?

Again no change, that’s what they’ve been doing. Even when they were just working with the Italians doing rescue ops. The board are deemed navigational hazards and sunk once the people are off them.

Betcha the lads are seeing quite a bit of activity going on in that area with Yankee and UK and French navies and air forces in the vicinity.

• Advertisement

Betcha the lads are seeing quite a bit of activity going on in that area with Yankee and UK and French navies and air forces in the vicinity.

We'll still be operating off Libya most likely not in the Eastern Med where they are, there's not likely to be any interaction between the areas.

Please God not! We don't want to be hit by one of them flyin tomahawks or torpedoed by a Russian sub....

Please God not! We don't want to be hit by one of them flyin tomahawks or torpedoed by a Russian sub....

Really FFS? Cause that happens so regularly... No neither the US/UK/France or Russia is going to be randomly firing off missiles across the Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't feed the troll. Unless its a sandwich on the end of a Harpoon missile.

Everybody having a go at me again....Its not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Really FFS? Cause that happens so regularly... No neither the US/UK/France or Russia is going to be randomly firing off missiles across the Med.

In the rte show last year on the med operation did show a spanish frigate providing some sort of aerial cover during a rescue operation?

roadmaster wrote: »
    In the rte show last year on the med operation did show a spanish frigate providing some sort of aerial cover during a rescue operation?

Don't think any of those operations have come under threat of attack, though there has been harassment from Libyan boats I think. I thought that Frigate was helping with the recovery operations (it's been a while since I've seen the show)

Don't think any of those operations have come under threat of attack, though there has been harassment from Libyan boats I think. I thought that Frigate was helping with the recovery operations (it's been a while since I've seen the show)

I think it was two helicopters where approaching and they didnt know who they where. It was probably just the spanish where there out of chance.

I think it was two helicopters where approaching and they didnt know who they where. It was probably just the spanish where there out of chance.

The Frigate could have been working under Sophia in the same area (before we signed up)?

The Frigate could have been working under Sophia in the same area (before we signed up)?

I think you where right in the first place sparky. I think i just put two and two together and got 5 . There was helicopters but they where friendly i think fron watching the below. It starts at 29 mins

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwiRsIaMxL_aAhUFyKQKHQf6D3YQo7QBCA0wAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DburpJ6kKW10&usg=AOvVaw1FRtNJdA98S-TLRrHCKBFv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

rum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?26899-Ex-Irish-P20-class-delivered-to-the-Libyan-Navy&p=459967#post459967
    Hope this works.

I wonder why did Libyans didn't fit it it out with a main weapons system

I wonder why did Libyans didn't fit it it out with a main weapons system

Could have been restrictions in how the Dutch agent was allowed to sell her perhaps? It will be interesting to see what they stick on her.

I see that Babcocks have just released details of their contender for the new type 32 frigate ( few days ago). Apparently it's based on an existing Scandinavian design.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/manpower-crisis-as-reserves-bolster-depleted-navy-472693.html

I hope the new ship is coming with a crew. For call ups as the article says how does that work? Do They ring the reservists and say any chance you can take your summer holidays and help crew the ship?

Reservists have special rights with their employers to additional holiday leave. Thats the way it works in the UK. Assume similar set up in Ireland...

Reservists have special rights with their employers to additional holiday leave. Thats the way it works in the UK. Assume similar set up in Ireland...

I think you will find if a reservist turned around to there employer on a Monday morning and told them they where heading of with the navy they be told not to bother coming back

Im surprised. Ya live and learn. I notice the press are talkin about this new ship as if it was actually a firm project. Ive not seen nowt in the papers or on this forum about an order being placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Im surprised. Ya live and learn. I notice the press are talkin about this new ship as if it was actually a firm project. Ive not seen nowt in the papers or on this forum about an order being placed?

Because its practically built, undergoing sea trials in july, handover soon after. The issue is that neither P31 or the CPVs are decommissioned, so de facto its a 9 ship navy. With the other p60's, a ship was deco'ed before the new ship arrived, and the old crew became the new crew.

• Advertisement

Because its practically built, undergoing sea trials in july, handover soon after. The issue is that neither P31 or the CPVs are decommissioned, so de facto its a 9 ship navy. With the other p60's, a ship was deco'ed before the new ship arrived, and the old crew became the new crew.

That's pretty much it, I mean frankly I'd like them to work up to the 9 ship force (if not more) but the core issue is she was never planned and therefore we haven't enlarged the manpower for her. I mean remember back when the order went in we were debating whether we'd get the 3, then a couple of days before Brexit we announced a 4th one (nothing to do with trying to get votes I'm sure), have they sorted the supply of the 76mm yet? I know she's sailing to Cobh without it.

Advertisement