Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Woild do no harm to scrap the Peacocks and put the funds towards a multipurpose ship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see on the naval Facebook page to Beckett’s docked in Cobh. Is there work going on in the naval base?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Wolf219 wrote: »
    Maybe the naval service should thing of having small bases in Dublin or Galway. Might appeal to young lads living in them cities.

Or you know instead of pissing away money on something that won't change anything, maybe tackle the core issues (pay and Conditions), the reality is that with the economy hitting employment caps the available people will demand more money.

Woild do no harm to scrap the Peacocks and put the funds towards a multipurpose ship

About 50 years ago the Navy basically ceased to operate due to the Corvette's condition, the Navy isn't going to give up any hulls without replacements.

roadmaster wrote: »
    I see on the naval Facebook page to Beckett’s docked in Cobh. Is there work going on in the naval base?

I think it might be Jazz Weekend related maybe as she's alongside with one of the other 60's, Joyce is in the Basin along with the Peacocks, think Eithne is up in Dublin and there's one hull in the Graving Dock.

• Advertisement

sparky42 wrote: »
    I think it might be Jazz Weekend related maybe as she's alongside with one of the other 60's, Joyce is in the Basin along with the Peacocks, think Eithne is up in Dublin and there's one hull in the Graving Dock.

Government has solved the crew issue only put two ships out to sea at one time!

Government has solved the crew issue only put two ships out to sea at one time!

The reality is this isn't the first time the Navy has struggled with numbers, and add in a extra hull that wasn't planned for in their manpower projections and even best case it's going to take time to get over this.

Surely it is reasonable and easy to compare pay levels in the DF against similar ranks in the UK / US / Canadian/ French etc forces and use these as a benchmark to establish a fair and competitive salary to match these. At the moment we have a ridiculous situation where the DF are training personnel who leave and join other overseas forces who ate happy to snap them up as they are fully proficient in the necessary skill set.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Only if benchmarked against cost of living and inflation rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Only if benchmarked against cost of living and inflation rates.

Benchmarking?? Now where have I heard that before...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Peru has recently commissioned an interesting ship, for a similar price to the P60s

File%3ABAP_Pisco_(asignamiento).jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAP_Pisco_(AMP-156)

Great find. Nice looking piece of kit and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Babcock have announced the closure of Appledore.

200 jobs lost, but offered relocation to other facilities across the country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Babcock have announced the closure of Appledore.

200 jobs lost, but offered relocation to other facilities across the country.

Not a real surprise given they missed the Malta opv contract.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://afloat.ie/port-news/navy/item/40987-scottish-based-marine-consultants-to-provide-life-extension-survey-for-irish-navy-vessels
    As Naval-Technology reports, Tymor headquartered in Aberdeen, will provide the Irish Navy with a mid-life extension survey for the offshore patrol vessels of the P50-class.

we mentioned before here that there was mention of ships being based in Dún Laoghaire and how mad it seams.But i wonder if this whole brexit mess ended up worst case scenario could there be a need for a permanent presence on the east coast. Maybe move Ciara and Orla there. As with UK out of CFP extra surveillance will be needed in the Irish sea. But we will still have the same problems with lack of crews i presume

we mentioned before here that there was mention of ships being based in Dún Laoghaire and how mad it seams.But i wonder if this whole brexit mess ended up worst case scenario could there be a need for a permanent presence on the east coast. Maybe move Ciara and Orla there. As with UK out of CFP extra surveillance will be needed in the Irish sea. But we will still have the same problems with lack of crews i presume

If it ends up as badly as it could then I could imagine the Irish Sea being a whole problem alright but I'd still think keeping the navy together makes more sense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The talk of Dun Laoghaire was to have a more visible presence in the Capital as much as an asset in the Irish Sea. It's easy to forget about the INS when the ships sail out of Cork and over the horizon. If they want funding and recognition, they need to maintain a higher public profile and what better way than to have ships rotating out of other ports too.

If they're struggling to keep crew, basing ships in Dublin mightn't be great (just because of living expenses), but I do think basing a couple of ships at other ports mightn't be a bad idea..they'd probably still have to go back to Cork regularly anyway for anything other than refueling... The peacocks would probably be better suited to the eastcoast too.. (if they get out of port much)..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Our 'Naval Service' is a disgrace.

Yes, we're neutral bla bla bla but so are many countries - some smaller than Ireland - and yet they have old equipment. When there is a united Ireland, the need for a good Naval Service would be rapidly increased.

What I propose is:

4 cruisers
    8 destroyers
    8 corvettes
    6 mine warfare
    2 submarines
    6 frigates
    12 patrol vessels

Any thoughts on this?
    May aswell add an aircraft carrier when your at it. Are you 12 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

What's the issue?

Having a few patrol vessels the size of 2 Ford Mondeos won't fare too well should we need to defend our coasts. We cannot rely on the same country we fought 800 years for independence from to protect our waters.

If you could tell me the problems with my suggestion?

You think we need 46 odd naval vessels. The UK has around 75 at the moment. How-on earth did you arrive at this number.....it’s absolute fantasy.
    .....for what it’s worth I fully agree the navy needs serious investment .
    If we could afford these vessels which I doubt we ever could, we don’t have the infrastructure to support them. The knowledge base will never exist here to support that amount of craft and we would still be reliant on our neighbors be it uk or eu partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Needles73 wrote: »
    May aswell add an aircraft carrier when your at it. Are you 12 ?

don't think he's even 12!!!!!:D:D
    Is that you Dave:D:D:D

Our 'Naval Service' is a disgrace.

Yes, we're neutral bla bla bla but so are many countries - some smaller than Ireland - and yet they have old equipment. When there is a united Ireland, the need for a good Naval Service would be rapidly increased.

What I propose is:

4 cruisers
    8 destroyers
    8 corvettes
    6 mine warfare
    2 submarines
    6 frigates
    12 patrol vessels

Any thoughts on this?

It’s utter nonsense and suggests you don’t have a clue about modern militaries tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Savage93 wrote: »
    Is that you Dave:D:D:D

To paraphrase...

"He hasn't gone away you know"

It's just a suggestion to make the Naval Service more adequate.

More adequate for what? Moreover no your list clearly shows you don’t know what you are talking about imo.

Apart from building all the ships (and acquiring the systems to arm and operate them), and apart from crewing all of them and building bases to put them all,... What would we do with them? Who would we be protecting ourselves from (or attacking for that matter),
    And with a navy that large... What would we protect it with?? ;-)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

To follow up on yer man who was proposing we build a HUGEEEEE navy - 4 Cruisers!!! Seriously??? Do you mean large helicopter carrying vessels or HMS Belfast style ships?

Even if we were going down the route you suggested we would also need other vessels and equipment
    What about Auxiliary Ships - Oilers, RAS, Tugs etc
    What about Air Wings - not much point in having all those vessels without Helicopters and perhaps F35B's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Yawlboy wrote: »
    To follow up on yer man who was proposing we build a HUGEEEEE navy - 4 Cruisers!!! Seriously??? Do you mean large helicopter carrying vessels or HMS Belfast style ships?

Even if we were going down the route you suggested we would also need other vessels and equipment
    What about Auxiliary Ships - Oilers, RAS, Tugs etc
    What about Air Wings - not much point in having all those vessels without Helicopters and perhaps F35B's

Hes gone and so are all his posts..........

• Advertisement

BowWow wrote: »
    Hes gone and so are all his posts..........

Will be missed......
    :P

Advertisement