Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

The P stands for patrol boat, the Irish Navy don't actually own any ships, and it doesn't look like they ever will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Oh, all the genius club are out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭zone 1

The P stands for patrol boat, the Irish Navy don't actually own any ships, and it doesn't look like they ever will!

jesus

Oh, all the genius club are out tonight.
    zone 1 wrote: »
    jesus

It is a fact, wikipedia patrol boat, they even list the Irish Navy vessels in it, But Im just teasing you navy guys, sure we can call them ships!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It is a fact, wikipedia patrol boat, they even list the Irish Navy vessels in it, But Im just teasing you navy guys, sure we can call them ships!

And why can't a patrol boat be a small ship?

• Advertisement

It can be, I apologise if I offended anybody.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

[MOD]Firstly, welcome to the military forum WhatNuclearSub. Your input is very welcome. Secondly, I'm sure you have, but if you haven't, then please read the "Military" charter. To everyone here, try to keep the thread on topic. If anyone wishes to discuss acronyms or naval naming conventions, feel free to start a new thread. [/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

I don't know how to feel about that..

I mean I like the idea of naming it after famous Irish people but for the love of god, why 2 writers?? You'd think all we ever did in this country was write.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It''l be fun to see James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Jonathan Swift and Ulysses all meeting up in Dublin port...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It''l be fun to see James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Jonathan Swift and Ulysses all meeting up in Dublin port...

add in one or 2 of the cunard queens and there'd be a right old shindig!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Ugh.. why break from tradition and the female mythology names?
    Even if you don't want to reuse names of vessels there are plenty more.

Sadhbh - Oisin's Mammy/ Fionn Macs wife.
    Aibell/Aoibheall - The Guardian of Brian Borus tribe.
    Bodhmall - Fionn Mac's babysitter/foster mother
    Bláthnat/Bláthíne - Cú Chulainn bit on the side.
    Silé - There has already been a Grainne so it only seems fair to have a Silé :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

From the article:
    The LÉ Aoife and Emer were both recently decommissioned, and Minister for Defence Alan Shatter TD announced yesterday that a decision has been made on the names of the two new ships.

Then Later
    The LÉ Emer and LÉ Aoife will be decommissioned in September 2013 and September 2014 respectively, and Doyle said that the Department of Defence has recently brought in people to assist them with the sale of the two ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Ugh.. why break from tradition and the female mythology names?
    Even if you don't want to reuse names of vessels there are plenty more.

Sadhbh - Oisin's Mammy/ Fionn Macs wife.
    Aibell/Aoibheall - The Guardian of Brian Borus tribe.
    Bodhmall - Fionn Mac's babysitter/foster mother
    Bláthnat/Bláthíne - Cú Chulainn bit on the side.
    Silé - There has already been a Grainne so it only seems fair to have a Silé :D

I'd like to hear someone from a foriegn ship try and pronounce those names, they have enough trouble trying to pronounce Eithne.

The LÉ Sad-hib, Able, Bod-mall, Blat-nat and Silly.

amurph0 wrote: »
    I'd like to hear someone from a foriegn ship try and pronounce those names, they have enough trouble trying to pronounce Eithne.

Currently when our Naval vessels are being called by their name over VHF they are called the following.

Emer=ehm-err
    Aoife=oafie
    Aisling=ailing
    Eithne=ethen
    Orla=Orla(surprisingly)
    Ciara=seeiyara
    Roisin=rosin/raisin
    Niamh= Nyam-ha.

I jest not.

While you may not agree with the change of (short) tradition, the fact is the writers are identifiable as of Ireland.

As a naval vessel is in effect a floating piece of sovereign Irish soil, having a name that is easily identifiable with Irish culture is an advantage.

Google any of the current names and the results are ambiguous at best, indeed some will bring you to certain "glamour" sites.
    Google Samuel Beckett and James Joyce and the connection with Ireland is immediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Naming the two new OPVs after writers is a mistake IMO. The two scribes in question may have had a major issue with military ships being named after them. Also there are enough landmarks and festivals etc bearing the name of great literary figures.

There are many naming schemes they could have gone with, that would at least have a semblance of connection with the Sea / Navy / Defence Forces / Republic

Names of patriots or leaders of the Rebellion. I know they are well represented as train stations and barracks but theres plenty to go around - The 'Parnell', The 'Pearse', The 'Clarke', The 'O'Connell' (The O'Driscoll ;) )

Names of well known historical coastal towns or ports - The 'Waterford', The 'Foynes', The 'Killary'

Landmark islands - The 'Lambay' , The 'Skellig', The 'Achill'

Or just revert to the ancient warriors and Kings, 'Fergus', 'Cormac' 'Setanta' 'Lir' 'Fionn' 'Oisín'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

amurph0 wrote: »

I'm certain that we have the impeccable Spanish, French, Russian etc. pronunciation of other navies' ships names, of course.

Seriously, that's the best argument that the anti-Irish language mob (including the Minister, presumably, given his track record) can come up with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Maoltuile wrote: »
    I'm certain that we have the impeccable Spanish, French, Russian etc. pronunciation of other navies' ships names, of course.

Seriously, that's the best argument that the anti-Irish language mob (including the Minister, presumably, given his track record) can come up with?

Who's arguing? I just think it's funny the way the ships names are pronounced. I don't really care what we call the new ships, as long as we have them.

And i was mainly referring to the way other English speaking ships would pronounce them, namely Canadian/British/American. When I wrote those I wrote them with an American accent in my head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I worked for a company that had a ship called 'Excelsior'. Going into Japan once, the port control called them up; "Ess, Esse, Isel, ah, big ship, big ship this is port control radio..." Name your ship after your mother tongue and let the other guy worry about his pronunciation.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Name your ship after your mother tongue and let the other guy worry about his pronunciation.

Couldn't resist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

we need more ships maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

we need more ships maybe?

The Naval Service wouldnt have the manpower for extra ships.

8 is enough.

mikeym wrote: »
    8 is enough.

Please explain why..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Please explain why..

For a start theres a shortage of PO/Era's so if we had extra ships we wouldnt have any PO/Eras to be on them.

Dont forget the defence budget has been cut severely and the naval service is very lucky to be getting 2 new ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

mikeym wrote: »
    For a start theres a shortage of PO/Era's so if we had extra ships we wouldnt have any PO/Eras to be on them.

Dont forget the defence budget has been cut severely and the naval service is very lucky to be getting 2 new ships.
    the new ships are needed as L.E. Emer is getting close to retirement and its either L.E. Aisling or L.E. Aoife out after her so those two new ships are merely just replacing vessels that are coming of age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

the new ships are needed as L.E. Emer is getting close to retirement and its either L.E. Aisling or L.E. Aoife out after her so those two new ships are merely just replacing vessels that are coming of age

LE Emer & LE Aoife face the axe.

Emer and Aoife are being retired in the next month or so.
    It isn't "luck" that got the Navy 2 new ships. It was a combination of hard work and necessity. In 2000, the Government decided that 8 ships was what the fleet would be maintained at. Now we are in a situation where the area to be patrolled has doubled in size, 5 ships are approaching imminent retirement (Aoife, Emer, Aisling, Orla, Ciara) but only 2 replacements are on the blocks.
    Back to a 6 ship navy?
    To cover an area double the size that was covered by an 8 ship navy?
    Meanwhile the only thing the exers are complaining about is the proposed names of the new ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

but only 2 replacements are on the blocks.
    Back to a 6 ship navy?
    To cover an area double the size that was covered by an 8 ship navy?

Can I ask have you any ideas/submissions for the Green paper on Defence? Would your submission ( if you submit ) be just about the Navy or the DF as a whole? Id like to hear from a suitably knowledgeable person.

Thank you.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

johnsds wrote: »
    Can I ask have you any ideas/submissions for the Green paper on Defence? Would your submission ( if you submit ) be just about the Navy or the DF as a whole? Id like to hear from a suitably knowledgeable person.

Thank you.

does the naval service still operate under the army's budget or does it have its own??

• Advertisement

johnsds wrote: »

Thank you.

I am involved in the preparation of a submission. Everyone with an interest in the defence of the state and its future should. We can waffle on message boards about what we would do if we were in charge all we want, but if we actually believe that a change should be made, where, and how, this is our chance.
    To do it properly should involve an all arms submission. Not just Naval, Air Corps or Army.
    Who are you hoping to hear from? :D
    does the naval service still operate under the army's budget or does it have its own??
    The Naval service operates under the Defence Forces budget.

Advertisement