Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Dohvolle wrote: »
    I'd rule out Clogher Head due to the language difficulties.

So i take it Dundalk would be out so !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

roadmaster wrote: »
    So i take it Dundalk would be out so !

For that and many other reasons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If they were interested in the NZ ships, they'd use the professionals to get them here, in all likelihood. It's over a month steaming time for a normal ship, nonstop.

img_6257.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Oh I dunno, nothing says we're serious about Dublin Bay Prawns quite like a Harpoon launcher and two triple torpedo arrays!

Just perusing the specs and you read that the USN has 68 Arleigh Burkes in commission. Sixty flippin eight, worth 145 billion dollars. Mind boggling.

Most of the Dublin Bay Prawns are fished in UK waters, so not a good example, unless you want to set them up for raiding missions :)

536782.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What's the point ?

AFAIK they decommissioned the Tomahawk's with the nukes.

Nope, they just moved to the Block V.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/12/14/the-us-navy-has-an-upgraded-tomahawk-heres-5-things-you-should-know/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

While yes there's a new variant of the Tomahawk, I think they actually retired the Nuclear variant after the Cold War, the USN is considering a new replacement but have they actually ordered any?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

How about sticking with Vard and building smaller versions of what we have already???

https://vardmarine.com/gallery/vard-7-040/

VARD-7-040.jpg
    (Image from Vard Marine)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the two new zealand ships are available now and for very little money. what is the cost of one of those from Vards?

the two new zealand ships are available now and for very little money. what is the cost of one of those from Vards?

Not sure tbh. It was mentioned that new boats were a possibility.

What is the New Zealand ships? I must have missed that somewhere in the sh1te talk about tomahawks!!!

What is the New Zealand ships? I must have missed that somewhere in the sh1te talk about tomahawks!!!

Lake class IPV.
    http://www.seaforces.org/marint/New-Zealand-Navy/Protector-Rotoiti-class-IPV.htm

P-3570-Taupo-06.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

How about sticking with Vard and building smaller versions of what we have already???

https://vardmarine.com/gallery/vard-7-040/

VARD-7-040.jpg
    (Image from Vard Marine)

Looks suspiciously like...

post #2362. Available for about 10M each.

post #2362. Available for about 10M each.

Looks good to me :)

Looks good to me :)

as they say in the motor trade, only used by a little old lady to go to mass. those NZ ships have barely moved at all.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Looks suspiciously like...

Surprised you didn't think it looks like the turret on a Scorpion :D

Don't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Don't go there.

I'm confused.

Here's a mad idea how about good pay increase for serving sailors immediately and a cash bonus to any former sailors to reenlist for a couple of years. Get ciara and orla based on the east coast and provide good accommodation near the base for the crews for a nominal fee or even free if thats what it takes to get up to strength

Here's a mad idea how about good pay increase for serving sailors immediately and a cash bonus to any former sailors to reenlist for a couple of years. Get ciara and orla based on the east coast and provide good accommodation near the base for the crews for a nominal fee or even free if thats what it takes to get up to strength

would they not be a bit much for a fisheries protection? plus they're getting on a bit.

would they not be a bit much for a fisheries protection? plus they're getting on a bit.

Its not just the fish there needed to stop the British refugees after brexit kicks in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They mainly are only in their prime, it must be some cost to pay people twice though, it sounds good., considering 1 person on a satellite etc will see more than a multitude of vessels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

They mainly are only in their prime, it must be some cost to pay people twice though, it sounds good., considering 1 person on a satellite etc will see more than a multitude of vessels.

They are far from in their prime, they are 35 years old, outside of Capital ships few warships serve beyond that age line, the older the hull the more money it costs to sustain them, and they are already intended for replacement. And yeah satellites can see plenty, they can't however board a ship and check nets, catches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

sparky42 wrote: »
    They are far from in their prime, they are 35 years old, outside of Capital ships few warships serve beyond that age line, the older the hull the more money it costs to sustain them, and they are already intended for replacement. And yeah satellites can see plenty, they can't however board a ship and check nets, catches etc.

You might want to to go back a step to what I was replying to, some retirees might take your remarks personally ����

You might want to to go back a step to what I was replying to, some retirees might take your remarks personally ����

The Peacocks were built in 1984 and designed to operate in Hong Kong Harbour.
    They were never expected to be used to catch drug smugglers in the Atlantic.
    They are uncomfortable for crews compared to other ships, and when you look at them up close, their age is evident. They deserve to end their days in some quiet warm backwater, not the maritime motorway that is the Irish Sea.
    Time's up.
    30 years is normal usable life for ships of this type. We squeezed extra years from the better built P20s, and they required lots of upkeep in their latter years.

Its not just the fish there needed to stop the British refugees after brexit kicks in

the .50 cal on the NZ ships would be more than sufficient for that purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Only just. An upgrade would give these ships a bit more versatility for tasking on other duties, such as overseas or drug interdiction. Anyways...Anchors away me boys for a jolly old hoot of a Christmas and all guns blazing into the New Year!

Only just. An upgrade would give these ships a bit more versatility for tasking on other duties, such as overseas or drug interdiction. Anyways...Anchors away me boys for a jolly old hoot of a Christmas and all guns blazing into the New Year!

we need ships that can do the job required of them. they are more than capable of that. we have other ships for drug interdiction and overseas work. you know what they say about choosing the third best option?

My sources tell me the Kiwi boats have a deck prepared for, but not mounted with the same 25mm Bushmaster Cannon Mk 38 Mod 0 up front, but the NZ Navy decided not to mount them on those vessels. Since then the NZN have swapped their Mk38 for Rafael Typhoon 25mm Autocannon.
    I'm sure down the road, our 20mm Rhinos are due to be replaced with some forme of autocannon, and it would be an easy job to upgrade the Lakes, should we have purchased them in the meantime.
    We did it to the Peacocks, mounted Rhinos where once there was just 50 cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Sounds perfect to me Doville

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

we need nuclear subs with long-range missiles too

Advertisement