Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Dohvolle wrote: »
    My sources tell me the Kiwi boats have a deck prepared for, but not mounted with the same 25mm Bushmaster Cannon Mk 38 Mod 0 up front, but the NZ Navy decided not to mount them on those vessels. Since then the NZN have swapped their Mk38 for Rafael Typhoon 25mm Autocannon.
    I'm sure down the road, our 20mm Rhinos are due to be replaced with some forme of autocannon, and it would be an easy job to upgrade the Lakes, should we have purchased them in the meantime.
    We did it to the Peacocks, mounted Rhinos where once there was just 50 cal.

Isn't the replacement of the 20mm Rhino's on the planned equipment list that was published a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Captcha wrote: »
    we need nuclear subs with long-range missiles too

It's spelt "nu-cu-lar".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's spelt "nu-cu-lar".

I am reminded of that poor Australian admiral trying to keep his patience with the politician interrogating him as to why propulsors are not a nuclear issue...

On important matters, if new ships do show up, can we get back to the old naming system?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I am reminded of that poor Australian admiral trying to keep his patience with the politician interrogating him as to why propulsors are not a nuclear issue...

On important matters, if new ships do show up, can we get back to the old naming system?

So no Le Bob Geldof, ? Le Celia Ahern if you want to stick with authors ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It could be seen as a means to re-invigorate the Irish language. Too many youngsters about these days with names from aussie soaps. Often with improper spelling for added confusion.
    There is plenty of Irish Mythology to draw names from. Only Aoife from the story of the Children of Lir has been used. (ideally a class of 4 ships)
    The Táin Bó Cúailnge has plenty of wonderfully confusing(to foreigners) names to draw from.
    Aodh,(Eh) Ailill (Ah Eel)and Conchobar(Cruhoor) being fine examples, though they are male, and the old tradition was female.

I'll take the ships first though, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Markcheese wrote: »
      So no Le Bob Geldof, ? Le Celia Ahern if you want to stick with authors ?

I don't think LE Sir Bob would have a good ring to an irish military vessel at least Ms ahern pays a little bit of tax to the state

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I would prefer a return to the heroine naming convention. Continue in the mythological theme, or nationalist figures & others. Some suggestions (namely based on the way they sound):

Maud Gonne
      Constance Markievicz
      Grace O'Malley

The Navy would have good fun explaining the name LE Gráinne Mhaol while patrolling the med

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

roadmaster wrote: »
      The Navy would have good fun explaining the name LE Gráinne Mhaol while patrolling the med

We already had an LE Grâinne;

7538240568_81492db167_b.jpg[\IMG]

Ah but she wasn't named after the pirate queen

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Ah but she wasn't named after the pirate queen

They would still be unlikely to recycle the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

How about LE Brendan Behan?

The Commissioners of Irish Lights already have a vessel of that name. I think this is the third vessel of theirs bearing that name.

You can rule out Constance Gore-Booth. I can't see us naming a ship after a member of the English Aristocracy who was on the wrong side in the Civil war. We only have Casement Aerodrome because he did the decent thing and was hung by the British for Treason.

As for Maud Gonne, they could name one of the RIBs on WB Yeats after her, such was her contribution to irish history. She doesn't deserve a ship. Her son was more significant.

How about LE Brendan Behan?

Thought we wanted to get away from writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

How about Eithne O Brien.

roundymac wrote: »
      How about Eithne O Brien.

Is that your girlfriend or something?

They could make an offer for all four and called them LE Aodh, LE Fionnula, LE Fiachra, and LE Conn and they could be known as the swans!

We can't crew 4 of the 9 ships we have. We want to replace 2 with 2 ships carrying crew half the size of the ships they replace, and you want to get 4 ships so you could fulfil a naming pattern? I'm glad I didn't mention Niall and the 9 Hostages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We can't crew 4 of the 9 ships we have. We want to replace 2 with 2 ships carrying crew half the size of the ships they replace, and you want to get 4 ships so you could fulfil a naming pattern? I'm glad I didn't mention Niall and the 9 Hostages.

Now your on to something .. that'd be 10 ships so ,
      But apart from niall do we know any of the names of the hostages ? 1 ,2,3, could be a bit full ðŸŒ, ( sorry a haon ,a do ,a tri ,) ,
      The hostage part might sound a bit dodgy too ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Niall was French.

• Advertisement

I was thinking as well we could paint go faster stripes on them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

This naming business is just a bit of light banter really, but I think they should scrap this business of naming after authors and name one of the two ships LE Erskine Childers and t'other one LE Michael Collins. When the new MRV / Frigate arrives (the new flagship) I think the name LE Asgard would be very appropriate. This idea of using writers names was probably dreampt up by some pen pusher in the civil service and has no military relevance.

This naming business is just a bit of light banter really, but I think they should scrap this business of naming after authors and name one of the two ships LE Erskine Childers and t'other one LE Michael Collins. When the new MRV / Frigate arrives (the new flagship) I think the name LE Asgard would be very appropriate. This idea of using writers names was probably dreampt up by some pen pusher in the civil service and has no military relevance.

We already had an Asgard, you can visit it in the National Museum at Collins Barracks, Dublin. We also had Asgard 2, owned by the DoD. It sank, the DoD decided to take the cash from the insurance instead of replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

name one of the two ships LE Erskine Childers and t'other one LE Michael Collins.

when I hear full names for ships I think of whale wars.

salmocab wrote: »

Ady Gill was a cool name no matter what.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

salmocab wrote: »

It's an American (and Russian) thing, they love to name a ship after some lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ady Gill was a cool name no matter what.

Steve Irwin not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Looking at the news they might be needed for the naval war with Scotland!

• Advertisement

If Scotland was only a real country instead of a glorified county council

Advertisement