Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How many ships do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I think they have 3, they seam to be a similar version of our Sea Fisheries Protection Authority

roadmaster wrote: »
    I think they have 3, they seam to be a similar version of our Sea Fisheries Protection Authority

We should send a task force and land marines there to show we mean business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Considering Scotland will need massive support from Ireland in its inevitable bid to join the EU as an independent nation, its a slightly clumsy approach to take.

However, its pretty clear that Scotland has in mind the necessity to ring-fence natural resources to call its own when that independence comes and I can't blame them for that.

The bottom line is though, nobody recognises the UK territorial claim to the Rockall and its radius. Any niceties that were sorted out in 2019 around this matter, indeed this particular fishing vessel, in the teeth of Brexit negotiations, can now be abandoned.

The Irish Government must send a NS vessel or two as a freedom of navigation demonstration around Rockall and enable Irish fishing vessels to go about their lawful business.

Admittedly, the UK Govt does have the newly assembled HMS Queen Elizabeth Carrier Strike Group available as of today, but I wouldn't be too concerned, I believe they have a prior engagement in the South China Sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Considering Scotland will need massive support from Ireland in its inevitable bid to join the EU as an independent nation, its a slightly clumsy approach to take.

However, its pretty clear that Scotland has in mind the necessity to ring-fence natural resources to call its own when that independence comes and I can't blame them for that.

The bottom line is though, nobody recognises the UK territorial claim to the Rockall and its radius. Any niceties that were sorted out in 2019 around this matter, indeed this particular fishing vessel, in the teeth of Brexit negotiations, can now be abandoned.

The Irish Government must send a NS vessel or two as a freedom of navigation demonstration around Rockall and enable Irish fishing vessels to go about their lawful business.

Admittedly, the UK Govt does have the newly assembled HMS Queen Elizabeth Carrier Strike Group available as of today, but I wouldn't be too concerned, I believe they have a prior engagement in the South China Sea!

Given I've seen some comments that two of the hulls have Covid outbreaks, how many do we have operational? Though I agree it's a bit clumsy creating an argument between Ireland and Scotland over this, particularly as if it's like the last time, London has nothing to do with this.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »

A nice shiny target for the chinnese!

sparky42 wrote: »
    Given I've seen some comments that two of the hulls have Covid outbreaks, how many do we have operational? Though I agree it's a bit clumsy creating an argument between Ireland and Scotland over this, particularly as if it's like the last time, London has nothing to do with this.

Is it more to with the snp trying to get the fisherman votes as I'd say they are more torries

Is it more to with the snp trying to get the fisherman votes as I'd say they are more torries
    Most likely yes.

The government should hang its head in shame we only now have two ships operational . They need to get on there hands and knees and beg from crew to reenlist asap. It also appears at this stage the examiner is the unofficial PRO for the Navy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40201577.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

The government should hang its head in shame we only now have two ships operational . They need to get on there hands and knees and beg from crew to reenlist asap

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40201577.html

This is what happens when in spite of warnings, you allow numbers to drop below safe minimum.
    CoS and FOCNS can happily look out at all the lovely tied up ships and tell government "We warned you. Remember that time you threw us under the bus on Primetime?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

A bloody disgrace. We ought to send ships and aircraft up there Asap and fire a couple of rounds accross the bow of that feeble little Scottish ship.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Wonder will the Danes get involved as they have some interest in the fishing up there and are connected through the Faroe Islands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

This naming business is just a bit of light banter really, but I think they should scrap this business of naming after authors and name one of the two ships LE Erskine Childers and t'other one LE Michael Collins. When the new MRV / Frigate arrives (the new flagship) I think the name LE Asgard would be very appropriate. This idea of using writers names was probably dreampt up by some pen pusher in the civil service and has no military relevance.
    Alan Shatter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

LE_Roisin_at_Rockall.jpg

Don't see any courtesy flag being flown from the mast there... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A bloody disgrace. We ought to send ships and aircraft up there Asap and fire a couple of rounds accross the bow of that feeble little Scottish ship.

Have you heard of the Belgrano?

Have you heard of the Belgrano?

You mean the ship where the British media with joy and enthusiasm celebrated the deaths of several hundred men

We need to rein everything back here. While the scottish vessel may be grey, it is an unarmed civilian fishery protection vessel with a crew of about 15. They are acting like the mobile security patrols with strobes on the roof thinking they look like Gardai. It's a bit like a traffic warden telling the driver of a car that his tyres are bald. Thanks for the advice, nowt to do with you now off you f*ck. Their remit is fisheries, pure and simple. They cannot prevent any trawler from entering any stretch of water. Should said trawler be seen to fish in said water than I'm sure the trawler would be arrested by them and a fun day in court would be had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Dohvolle wrote: »
    We need to rein everything back here. While the scottish vessel may be grey, it is an unarmed civilian fishery protection vessel with a crew of about 15. They are acting like the mobile security patrols with strobes on the roof thinking they look like Gardai. It's a bit like a traffic warden telling the driver of a car that his tyres are bald. Thanks for the advice, nowt to do with you now off you f*ck. Their remit is fisheries, pure and simple. They cannot prevent any trawler from entering any stretch of water. Should said trawler be seen to fish in said water than I'm sure the trawler would be arrested by them and a fun day in court would be had by all.

It's an 84m 2200 tonne ship

And that changes what about Dohvolles point?

Can the Navy be saved at this stage will they get back up to full operations?

• Advertisement

Can the Navy be saved at this stage will they get back up to full operations?

Some of the issues will resolve themselves (the Covid infections, the fire damage/Refit) but getting up to full operations will require some massive change in how things are run.

But remember the Navy has actually been in far worse shape before even compared to this.

Some of the issues will resolve themselves (the Covid infections, the fire damage/Refit) but getting up to full operations will require some massive change in how things are run.

But remember the Navy has actually been in far worse shape before even compared to this.

1971 I think. No ships at all. the sole naval presence at sea was an officer armed with a pistol aboard a motor launch in dublin bay. 2 ships stripped to keep a third operational, and that could no longer put to sea as it waited for the breakers yard. One ship being built, awaiting launch.
    And this year is the 75th anniversary of it's founding.

So is this, but it still has no authority to prevent other vessels from fishing anywhere they want to. (unless it is displaying the appropriate lights and shapes, of course).
    84M-DP2-IRM-Survey-ROV-Vessel-for-Sale-768x481.jpg

It doesn't matter if whether it's one of those or a warship, if they attempt to arrest you and you refuse to cooperate they are not going to open fire. If you are in a 20m fishing vessel you will be cooperating unless you have lost the plot.

It doesn't matter if whether it's one of those or a warship, if they attempt to arrest you and you refuse to cooperate they are not going to open fire. If you are in a 20m fishing vessel you will be cooperating unless you have lost the plot.

Have you ever heard about the Cod Wars? Plenty of Trawlers didn't have a problem "discouraging" RN warships.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the scottish fisheries protection vessels wont open fire because they can't.

Have you ever heard about the Cod Wars? Plenty of Trawlers didn't have a problem "discouraging" RN warships.

The Spanish armada is about as relevant to current days.

What use is a navy if we can't send a ship or two there?

The Spanish armada is about as relevant to current days.

Not particularly but go on.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    What use is a navy if we can't send a ship or two there?

We can, the question is what the three hulls are doing right now that they would have to stop doing to counter the Scottish Photo op.

Advertisement