Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

The DoD isn't even within the remit of the Commission I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Put the defence forces under the control of the OPW and they will never have to worry again about unspent budgets!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Hse and you could have what ever is wanted and some

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

• Advertisement

No other word for it.

And now drug traffickers and illegal fisheries know it too.

When it comes to replacing the CPVs, they have said these will be used for mines etc. Would be worth a call to our friends in the benlux navys to add an extra 2 ships on to there MCM order. It could help all as it may lower costs with extra orders

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/11/naval-group-lays-keel-of-1st-mcm-vessel-of-belgian-dutch-rmcm-program/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Wait till France buys in first. 2 hulls isn't going to reduce the unit cost much. France could double what's currently on order in one go.

Given the skill sets of such a role, I'm still not convinced about them unless we have them working with Allied units continuously for training, ie the NATO standing group.

Well with the lost of the aussie submarine contract it may well happen to help NAVAL

We probally will long term as part of an EUBG

• Advertisement

Unless NATO stands down their taskforce, I can't see the EU standing up a dedicated force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Looks like the purchase of the two Lake class opvs is dead in the water. Maybe no bad thing. NZ are getting shut of them as they aren't up to the job offshore NZ. Therefore maybe not up to Irish Sea conditions in winter?

Just my opinion like....

What evidence have you got for that statement?

Same as the evidence they have for all their other statements I would guess?

I think if you had read my post before reacting in your usual agressive fashion you would have grasped that I have no evidence at all that the deal has fallen through. Quote: ""just my opinion". By the way....after you accused me of fabricating my last post on the fighter jets thread, another poster actually posted a link to the actual briefing document concerning the aircraft options under consideration. Not before you and the usual cast had gone at me like a pack of wolves. I thought somebody might have apologised but no. Look on the internet and you will discover for yourself why the NZ navy are getting shut of these at a low ball price.

We all already know the discourse about it, it sounded like you had something new for us.

I'm generally rude to trolls.

Good man! I thought this was a discussion thread where people could voice opinions and alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

opinions generally have some underlying basis.

In some actual news, and very positive too, the Examiner reports that the Department of Defence is completing the due diligence on behalf of the State to acquire a 164 ft tri-mast schooner, Lady Ellen, from Sweden, to become the new National Sail Training vessel, following the sad loss of Asgard II.

The combined taxpayer and philanthropic acquisition with be re-christened 'Grace O'Malley' after the famous pirate Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The combined taxpayer and philanthropic acquisition

there shouldn't be too much burden on the taxpayer. the government still have the 3.8M insurance payout from the asgard II.

• Advertisement

No indeed not.

Personally though I would have no problem if it was 100% exchequer funded. The value of such an asset, both to young sailors, especially disadvantaged and disabled kids, as well as a roving ambassador for Ireland and our maritime tradition is priceless.

I remember when my Uncle was crewing on Asgard for stint meeting the ship in Dun Laoghaire where some of the kids were disembarking at the end of their stint and the tears and emotions due to having to leave and part ways from new friends. Kids that had never experienced being part of anything or seen the Country from that perspective in their lives. It's worth a hundred million euro in my book.

Actually what was posted was from memory, a proposal from one party rather than something that is actually happening, given what seems to be being briefed, the chances are slim.

The purchase of a new Tall Ship is a great moment and I can't wait to see her in the harbour, and to be honest it looks like she's going to be a more capable hull than Asgard II for the job.

Beaut of a shot of her in full sail somewhere in Scandinavia, an absolutely stunning ship. Twice the size and capacity of Asgard II also. All in all a canny buy.

The difference possibly being she was bought by people who know about sailing, and sail training, rather than a committee of accountants.

The Asgard II experience was second to none. I was aboard in 1989 myself, for a nice early winter cruise in the Irish sea. Its an experience I will treasure, my only regret being my nephews, who had similar interests to mine, did not have a ship like this to get that experience of seafaring when they were in their teens.

Lets be honest, unless you live near a yacht club, or have friends with a boat, you won't get near the offshore waters of Ireland, except maybe on the ferry.

Difficult so, to encourage school leavers to choose it as a career.

Throughout the 80s 90s and part of the 00s, Asgard II was accessible to Ireland's youth as a summer in the gaeltacht. If you were really interested, you could join the Asgard Support group, which was found in the main ports around the country. These groups who has sailed on Asgard II met socially for nautical related tours and talks, but during the Off-season, assisted with routine maintenance on the ship, replacing sails, painting & varnishing, general running maintenance that is part of operating any vessel.

On my (and everyone's) first day on Asgard II after safety briefings etc, everyone had to climb to the top of the mainmast, and come down on the other side. By the time I was joining Asgard months later for maintenance, the first thing you would do is throw on the harness, and ask if there was anything that needed to be done aloft. If we had nothing pressing, we might re-fold sails that had been secured in a hurry. While the ship could only carry 20 trainees, it probably had a crew of thousands, by the time it sank.

I am still haunted by the advice given by the Chief Mate on Asgard II about using the "heads". Only three sheets of toilet paper were to be used if having a dump.

One up.

One down.

One to polish.

The next chapter in the story of Irish Sail training looks very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I am still haunted by the advice given by the Chief Mate on Asgard II about using the "heads". Only three sheets of toilet paper were to be used if having a dump.

One up.

One down.

One to polish.

So you can polish a turd!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Frank Murphy/Cygnus Boats won the contract for the four motor launches for the Naval Service Reserve.

Good for them. Finally the NS have a vessel they will be able to man fully, all year round.

Joking aside, is there an official announcement?

Would be interesting to know which model they are buying and specification etc.

• Advertisement

Advertisement