Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does my sensor need cleaned with a black dot in my pics?

• 26-01-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Nikon D3000 which I bought Xmas 2009. Recently I have noticed a small black spec on all pics in the same place on the pic. I have tried other lenses but it's still there.

I am now thinking it's inside the camera on the sensor that needs a clean.

I live in Donegal and was wondering if anyone knows if in fact this is what is needed and the cost of getting it cleaned and if it can be done up here locally?

I have an extended 3 year warranty from Jessops. Would it be covered under 'wear and tear' on that policy?. Does anyone have any experience of such a policy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Why not just clean it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

I don't want to go messing around inside the camera when I am not familiar with it and how to clean it properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Two minutes browsing the menus or reading the manual will show you how to activate your camera's built in sensor cleaning function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Zillah wrote: »
    Two minutes browsing the menus or reading the manual will show you how to activate your camera's built in sensor cleaning function.

That's not really the same as a proper clean though.

Seriously, just look online to see how to clean it yourself, even if you just used an air-blower on the sensor it would probably get rid of most of the bigger bits of dust. It's not hard and you can't really do anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Post a sample pic aswell just so we are sure it is sensor dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

You can get special wipes in the camera shop to clean it. Just put it in "mirror lockup mode" and you'll have access to the sensor. dont use anything too wet or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have a look here at this youtube tutorial.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6S3jHA21w&feature=related
    I understand you are nervous about doing it yourself but you can do it.
    Take your time and be patient

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

OK, hope the image comes up. Not great at uploading etc.

The 'dust' can be seen on the top left quarter of the picture.

I had a look online and I will try to blow it off with a rocket blower first and see how that goes. Thanks for the help.

BTW , does anyone know ehere to get a rocket blower online?

]B86B6A95B39243EDB5B4421365443827-0000332571-0002140072-00800L-64713124011A464EB7A93F980E9E7CAD.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Looks like a bit of stubborn dirt alright. Try a rocket blower, always handy to have one anyway. Get into the habit of giving the sensor a few blasts every now and then. If it doesn't shift it you might need a wet clean. Someone posted on here a little while back somewhere that was doing it for €20. Can't remember where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

you can get a Giotto's Rocket blower here, I use the site quite often and its pretty fast shipping (less then a week usually).
    You can also email them and request to buy via paypal and they will sort you out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement