Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Media smart server replacment ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

just build ur own. i have just ordered all the parts for an 8gb server. better cpu etc. just go for the passive cooling and ur golden!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dagged

It's not for myself. The lad wants that one, but I'm looking for something similar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Perhaps a blessing in disguise, the future for Windows home server is very uncertain.

It depends what you need it for, but a Synology DS411J might be what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The earlier revision, the ex490 is available through amazon.co.uk shopfronts.

Probably just a matter of waiting for the updated version.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dagged

mostly its for file keeping and photo sharing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

hmmm wrote: »
    Perhaps a blessing in disguise, the future for Windows home server is very uncertain.

It depends what you need it for, but a Synology DS411J might be what you need.

i have been using the 7600 build of vail and like it but the RC sounds like its gonna be a pain. I understand vail is not for every1 as its alot more restricted than the previous version but its perfect so far for my needs. will wait to see how the RC goes before i even consider upgrading to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

tazzzZ wrote: »
    i have been using the 7600 build of vail and like it but the RC sounds like its gonna be a pain. I understand vail is not for every1 as its alot more restricted than the previous version but its perfect so far for my needs. will wait to see how the RC goes before i even consider upgrading to it.
    Disk extender in the current version of WHS was brilliant, really easy to add storage for a home user, particularly if you bought one of the off-the-shelf headless boxes like the mediasmart. Now that they've removed DE from Vail I just don't see the point anymore. Terrible move from MS, WHS had a great future in homes.

Advertisement