Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABANDONED DOGS AT ABANDONED HOUSE

• 26-01-2011 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

I live close by to a house in a rural area that has been vacated by the owners over a year ago, its a detached house with a secure garden etc , the owner left behind two small dogs that he owns they do have shelter in the form of a dog house in the garden , and the owner visits every couple of days and feeds them , he used to come every day but now only visits every 2-3 days and leaves a large amout of food which the dogs devour , I often have to give them water and food when he doesnt come near the place .
    The guy is a non national and would not be approachable , It is believed they have moved to a another rented property now , a couple of miles away.
    The poor little dogs are devoid of any human contact and bark almost 24 hrs a day , they just crave to be played with, I have a dog myself at present and know the affection you get back when you show a dog a bit of love.
    The local ispca say they cant do anything as the dogs are on private property with a locked gate and there is never anyone at the house anyway.
    Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with this ?the non stop barking is affecting our sleep at this stage . I know its not he dogs fault but the owners plainly know every trick in the book .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The local ispca say they cant do anything as the dogs are on private property with a locked gate and there is never anyone at the house anyway.

Rubbish. They can ask for Garda assistance. They can leave notices for the owner. You can report the matter to the Guards as Cruelty for either the lack of water or as abandonment contrary to section 1 of the 1911 Protection of Animals Act:

"(Where) being the owner or having charge or control of any animal [a person] shall without reasonable cause or excuse abandon it, whether permanently or not, in circumstances likely to cause it unnecessary suffering, or cause or procure or, being the owner, permit it to be so abandoned.”

The procedure should be that the ISPCA visit & leave a note. If they fail to get a response then they leave a warning of prosecution. If still no response then they involve the Guards who can seek a warrant to enter the premises for the ISPCA to remove the dogs.

You can also report the matter to your local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Get the landlords details and ask him to report them as strays. He can legally sign the dogs over. This can be done, I went through it myself only 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

No point in contacting the landlord , he is sitting pretty getting his hse cheque for the rent on an empty house , whlie another landlord gets a cheque for the other house that this crowd actually live in.
    Strange I know but aother major waste of public money on people who never did or never will contribute a penny to the state.

meanwhile as i type this , bark ,bark, bark , bark, because they are hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 polobear11

that is so sad:(

• Advertisement

Call the ISPCA tomorrow or your nearest SPCA. If they say they won't act then PM me the details. I am so peed off with constantly hearing that the ISPCA & SPCA's won't do their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It doesn't make sense that any Landlord would allow former tenants to keep their dogs there for a long period of time.

Why do you say he is unapproachable? Maybe he is he process of moving them to new accommodation. Ask him to leave the food with you so that you can feed them on the days he cannot make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

When you say rural do you mean in the country side or as in out of a city and in a small town but in a housing estate? If you have neighbours nearby then ask them to report this to the ISPCA, if there getting enough calls about it they might get fed up and just call out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

This is why so many dogs end up 'escaping' in Ireland, because it's so hard to get anything done when they technically have food water and shelter :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

He is in the process of moving out? only all their stuff is still in the house and they moved to their new rented house over a year ago, landlord doesnt care as he gets paid for an empty house by the state and the other landlord of the new 5 bed detached house they are in now is getting paid also by the state .
    The guy and his partner are very aggresive and i have witnessed several incidents at the house with other people , I have no intention of taking on these foreign nationals .
    Meanwhile the poor dogs suffer in the cold and wet , the country is a lot poorer . ie 2x rents for detached properties, dole money, they do not work and still have nice cars , ?

• Advertisement

I'm curious how does the landlord get paid for an empty house by the state?

If it's a case of social welfare fraud report it and something will also be done about the dogs.

If it's a case that the tenants were previously employed and were made redundant then they are entitled to JSA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If you post your general location OP, someone here might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OP, can you be more specific, ie your location, what action you have/are taking. Please take the advice given here, you are very good to feed and water the dogs but this can't go on, you may have to be more pro-active with the ISPCA & the guards, hassle them, phone the landlord, phone the SW as it may be a case of SW fraud because I can't understand why the state are paying 2 lots of rent for one family?

24 hours on from my post, have you contacted the SPCA/ISPCA & what was their response ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

take them from there if possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

take the dogs out of this private property and let them roam off this private land and then call the ispca. they can take the dogs then as they will not be on private property.

Advertisement