Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picatinny rail for steyr?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Has anyone on hear ever got or fitted a Picatinny rail for a Steyr .243?

Is it a big job or can your ordinary firearms dealer do it?, I would like to get one if not too expensive?

All help greatly appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Had a search on the web and found www.talleyscoperings.com
    Go to the picatinny bases page . they are 67 dollars plus postage and they do ship internationally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ROSSKI wrote: »
    Has anyone on hear ever got or fitted a Picatinny rail for a Steyr .243?

Not personally, but a couple of questions. What model rifle? Is it drilled and tapped for mounts? Are you looking to have it drilled for mounts?
    Is it a big job or can your ordinary firearms dealer do it?, I would like to get one if not too expensive?

If your rifle is already drilled then it is simply a matter of buying one and screwing it in. Takes less than 5 minutes and can be done yourself.

Have a look at Steyr's website for one thats suits your rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

yep.. had one on my styer pro hunter ,just bought it off the net and screwed it on ,,,easy peasy:D:D:D

ian..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

ianoo wrote: »
    yep.. had one on my styer pro hunter ,just bought it off the net and screwed it on ,,,easy peasy:D:D:D

ian..

Was thinking of getting one for a while, what is the real benefit of having one.:o

I have guns with picatinny rails, Optilocks, rings onto dovetails, and i have to say the guns with the rails are the ones that have caused no problems. its a simple case fo buy and fit. Dovetails rings can be fussy and Optilock have a habit of loosening, and can be a b***h to align at times. The main reasons i would always go for a rail (where possible) are:
    • They would provide better hold with the cross bar on most rings.
    • Should allow for removal of scope and rings and re-attachment while keeping your zero within a few clicks.
    • They allow for multiple accessories to be attached.
    • Most manufacturers priduce products to fit these so availability is good.
    • With a 10/20/30/40 rail it increases overall distances achieveable
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Ezridax wrote: »
    I have guns with picatinny rails, Optilocks, rings onto dovetails, and i have to say the guns with the rails are the ones that have caused no problems. its a simple case fo buy and fit. Dovetails rings can be fussy and Optilock have a habit of loosening, and can be a b***h to align at times. The main reasons i would always go for a rail (where possible) are:
    • Should allow for removal of scope and rings and re-attachment while keeping your zero within a few clicks.
    I would agree with Exridax.
    They also allow you to move your scope further forward or back to suit
    your eye.
    If you have more than one rifle and they all have rails you can easily swap scopes around if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Thanks for the replies - I will have to check the model no. of the rifle

Its not a prohunter as far as I know:o

Its a 'rings onto dovetails' set up which i find just ok for holding zero ,

I just seen a Tikka Tactical lately with the rail and I thought it was a great set up plus I have the Leupold Quick release mounts to suit the rail .

Ezridax wrote: »

can you get one for a CZ american 17HMR

Yes they can be got, however they are not "prolific" and there are two sizes. Its probably either the 3/8" or 11mm dovetail. Below is a list of companies that do a rail for the CZ.

Option 1
    Option 2
    Option 3
    Option 4

Its a steyr pro hunter I have, what would it cost to get the rail supplied and fitted by a gunsmith and could anyone recommend someone in the Athlone /Roscommon or surrounding areas to do the job.Thanks for all the help.

ROSSKI

• Advertisement

Its a steyr pro hunter I have, what would it cost to get the rail supplied and fitted by a gunsmith and could anyone recommend someone in the Athlone /Roscommon or surrounding areas to do the job.Thanks for all the help.

ROSSKI

You would fit it yourself no problem

Have a look at the receiver of your rifle. If the top of it (where the rings connect) have either holes drilled, or screws in it then it is already drilled for a rail and as mentioned before its a simple matter of buying the exact make of rail for your rifle and screwing it in. It really is that simple.

Be sure to get the right make/model of rail though. For example i have a Savage rifle. I cannot simply ask for a picatinny rail for a Savage. I used Savage's website to get the specs of the receiver and mine is a Savage, Short action, round back receiver. So when asking for a rail i have to make sure its that exact model. If i get a Savage, round back, long action rail the screws to affix it to the receiver will not align to the holes.

Check out Styer's website. It should give you the dimensions you need.

ROSSKI

be careful, just found out today there is a pro hunter 1 & 2 model. :confused:

be careful, just found out today there is a pro hunter 1 & 2 model. :confused:

Thanks for that - How would I know what model it is?:o

Thanks for that - How would I know what model it is?:o

I dont know, i was just informed, i must check if it is stamped on it, there may not be any difference, model 1 is the older version, and it had a problem in that the fore end was very weak i.e different point of impact from using a bipod and shooting from shoulders. you probably have a fairly new steyr like me so it is possible model 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I dont know, i was just informed, i must check if it is stamped on it, there may not be any difference, model 1 is the older version, and it had a problem in that the fore end was very weak i.e different point of impact from using a bipod and shooting from shoulders. you probably have a fairly new steyr like me so it is possible model 2.

The spongy foreend was some joke, my mate has a camo stainless prohunter.

However I have seen the stiffened by cutting out a channel and using devcon and a bolt to strengthen

The spongy foreend was some joke, my mate has a camo stainless prohunter.

However I have seen the stiffened by cutting out a channel and using devcon and a bolt to strengthen

Well that kinda confirms that, I have no issues with mine

Well that kinda confirms that, I have no issues with mine

I have mine probably 8- 10 years at this stage - I will take a photo of it and see is it the same as yours.

I have mine probably 8- 10 years at this stage - I will take a photo of it and see is it the same as yours.

This is my one have it 3 seasons

That looks the very same as my one! Il contact steyr via their website and see what rail would be suitable - thanks for all the help:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

can you get one for a CZ american 17HMR

YES go with the DIP inc. @$45 + $49 postage. I have one, a one piece, on my CZ 527 .223 varmint.

Rimfire Tech don't have them now as it was the man now selling at DIP that made them for Rimfire Tech.
    The other one is way to big.

Could be an order going for rails to DIP ink. soon so get onboard if you want one.

was in mc cloys in toome today. he has a picatinny rail for a steyr in stock.
    forgot to ask him the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Was thinking of getting one for a while, what is the real benefit of having one.:o

Am I reading this right? You've been thinking about getting one for a while, but don't know why??

demonloop wrote: »
    Am I reading this right? You've been thinking about getting one for a while, but don't know why??

Where is the "don't know why" ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Where is the "don't know why" ?:confused:

You asked the question 'what is the real benefit of having one'

demonloop wrote: »
    You asked the question 'what is the real benefit of having one'

No I have not edited my post. It is exactly as is.

Advertisement