Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking Pressure on Tyres in Carlow & Price of Petrol

Options
  • 26-01-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

Seemingly Carlow has some of the most expensive petrol in the country, after Galway. Petrol in the stations around are now far 150c.

Back to my real rant - what petrol stations are left in Carlow that you can get the pressure of your tyres checked for free? Went to five or six garages in the town and they were all charging a euro to check the pressure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Esso or whatever it's called there on the Dublin Road Roundabout
    Free.

In other news, 70 euro to fill a little 206 today.
    Horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

check your tyres in hennesseys in graigue for free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Queen-mise

you are not charged in any garage to cjeck your air pressure. alot of garages now just have the euro fee to release the house, which is refunded when you replace the hose, much like a trolley.

maxol, esso, toughers and henneys dont have these that I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Seemingly Carlow has some of the most expensive petrol in the country, after Galway. Petrol in the stations around are now far 150c.

Back to my real rant - what petrol stations are left in Carlow that you can get the pressure of your tyres checked for free? Went to five or six garages in the town and they were all charging a euro to check the pressure.

What is your source for the petrol prices, are you referring to town or county?

My own brief survey this evening showed petrol at 141.9 (Keenan's), 143.9 (Maxol), 144.9 (Esso & Frazer's) and 145.9 (Topaz x2) in Carlow town.

Fitzpatrick's Topaz was 147.9, but they're traditionally have crazy prices anyway :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

slimjimmc wrote: »
    What is your source for the petrol prices, are you referring to town or county?

Conor Faulkner from AA RoadWatch was on the Last Word with Matt Cooper last night talking about petrol prices. For some reason Galway is usually the most expensive in the country - Carlow is coming in second place at the moment for the most expensive petrol in the country. I haven't checked the Irish petrol price site but that can be a bit hit & miss for when it is updated.

One reason for the prices, they suggested, was lack of competition i.e. less petrol stations. I don't think than many petrol stations have closed in the town through the boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Conor Faulkner from AA RoadWatch was on the Last Word with Matt Cooper last night talking about petrol prices. For some reason Galway is usually the most expensive in the country - Carlow is coming in second place at the moment for the most expensive petrol in the country. I haven't checked the Irish petrol price site but that can be a bit hit & miss for when it is updated.

One reason for the prices, they suggested, was lack of competition i.e. less petrol stations. I don't think than many petrol stations have closed in the town through the boom.

I was in Galway twice in the last two weeks and the dearest i saw petrol was €1:45. As far as i can remember only one petrol station has closed in town in the last 6-7 years, which was the Texaco garage on the old Dublin road. That now leaves us with 11 petrol stations(12 if you count Candy's), that a lot of competition if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I've never seen any garage anywhere charge for air. - Loads of euro / 2euro release & refund slots like supermarket trollys to prevent the hose being damaged though.

As for prices, I think its more that Carlow doesn't have any discounters and prices are set at national averages, whereas in Athy (7 stations) its cut throat and all independently owned and all hate each other (in a business sense) and will fight tooth and nail for business.

Overall, at average prices a station will make about 6c on a litre. (they make more on a sandwich tham €50 fuel)

Also, if some poeple here updated the local stations on www.pumps.ie it would help everyone (sorry, I'm rarely in carlow these days)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I was listening to that clip on the way home yesterday, didn't hear any mention of prices in any specific area. Just listened to the entire clip again on the Today FM website and can verify that no specific places were named. Perhaps it was some other interview?

I think Carlow prices are about average, certainly cheaper than the 149.9 currently being charged by the stations on the N7 in Kildare (Topaz and 2x Esso).

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I seen a few garages a few years ago which brought in them pay air pumps. They had a coin slot which you put 20c in for something like 30secs where it would switch on a sh*ty pump which wouldn't blow up a balloon,

Kenans on the Pal road and Maxol definitely had them for a while but I believe they kept getting broken into to rob the coin boxes so they eventually went away from them.

Kenans one is still on the forecourt just all taped up at the moment.

91011 wrote: »
    I've never seen any garage anywhere charge for air. - Loads of euro / 2euro release & refund slots like supermarket trollys to prevent the hose being damaged though.

As for prices, I think its more that Carlow doesn't have any discounters and prices are set at national averages, whereas in Athy (7 stations) its cut throat and all independently owned and all hate each other (in a business sense) and will fight tooth and nail for business.

Overall, at average prices a station will make about 6c on a litre. (they make more on a sandwich tham €50 fuel)

Also, if some poeple here updated the local stations on www.pumps.ie it would help everyone (sorry, I'm rarely in carlow these days)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

For anybody out the Ballon way I filled up this morning in Nolans for 142.9 p/l

updating pumps.ie now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement