Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wish I had my EPC2425 back. (never thought I'd say that)

• 26-01-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So after many phone calls to UPC I managed to convince/beg them to give me the EPC2203 modem. I then went out and purchased the Netgear WNDR3400 as I was informed it was a great wireless router.

Set it up fine this morning, have a 2ghz access point and a 5ghz access point. Laptop is connected to the 5 and everything else connected to the 2. I needed a good wireless router as everything in the house is currently wireless. Including the xbox, which is where the problem lies.

I cannot connect to xbox live an either channel, it merely times out and suggests testing the connection, which also doesn't work. Occasionally it will connect after about 2 minutes of loading. But the connection is painfully slow, unable to load any video, download demo's or game online.

This never happened with the EPC2425 wireless.

Is this a problem with my router, have I missed an important setting. (upnp is on)

Any suggestions will be of great help guys. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

What security are you using. AFAIK the xbox doesn't support WPA2, so the next best is WPA with AES.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DEOREM

It is set to WPA2-PSK [AES]. When I change it to WEP or WPA the router settings advise this will affect the speed & will not be able to offer full N rate support. Although I am able to connect through WEP quite easily. Thanks! (Don't know why I didn't try that)

What will be the major drawback of connecting WEP in comparison to WPA2-PSK?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

DEOREM wrote: »

Draw back is it would take someone two minutes to capture your wep key and access your network. Connect the xbox by ethernet cable. It's simply not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DEOREM

I doubt anyone in my vicinity is computer savvy enough to do that. Ethernet option is just to awkward. The router is two rooms away. Not into having to dragging a cable across that.

Im connected via WEP but the loading on xbox live is arse achingly slow. How was the epc2425 faster than the €100 I just spent on this netgear router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

You could leave it with WEP but lock it down by the mac address's of your units this add's an extra layer of security for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Anyone capable of cracking the WEP code will have little problem in cloning a MAC address.

If Ethernet is not an option, then Homeplugs might be. They do have their drawbacks though, most notably interference, but it's worth looking into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

WEP is just about equivalent to having no security at all, WPA+AES should be supported by your xbox and is still secure AFAIK. After that you could try WPA+TKIP or the homeplugs (which I use are find them pretty okay).

You definitely don't want to use WEP though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

DEOREM wrote: »
    It is set to WPA2-PSK [AES]. When I change it to WEP or WPA the router settings advise this will affect the speed & will not be able to offer full N rate support. Although I am able to connect through WEP quite easily. Thanks! (Don't know why I didn't try that)

Am guessing out of the box, the WNDR is doing 11n on both the 2GHz and 5GHz channels.
    For 11n you must use WPA as WEP isn't support - that is probably the advisory you get from the netgear.

So when you change to WEP it effectively reduces the router to an 11g router.

My guess it's the 11n that causes your xbox issues. Have seen it on other things too. My suggestion would be to use WPA-PSK with 11g/11b (No 11n) on the 2GHz channel and 11n on the 5GHz and see if that gives you the best of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Have you tried resetting the settings on the xbox...

Go to settings, network settings, configure network, additional settings, restore defaults...This is the first thing you should do on all consoles when switching equipment...Just reconnect to the wireless then...

The second thing i would do is disable UPNP...Not sure where ppl come to the conclusion that this helps but i have never some across any1 who has resolved there issue by enabling it...

I once read on an PS3 forum that this was the only way to fix a NAT issue and it was posted by a Sony Moderator but it wasn't long before he was shown differently...

You authentication setting on the router i would leave at WPA and Encryption TKIP, as for WEP, there are Iphone apps now that will crack that, and if some1 is good enough to crack WPA then all you can do to prevent them cracking it again is block every variation of mac they use through the Blocking section of the router...

Last but not least, if at all possible disable the firewall on the router...In saying this i have yet to come across a netgear router that allows you do this but maybe your the lucky 1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Knasher wrote: »
    WEP is just about equivalent to having no security at all, WPA+AES should be supported by your xbox and is still secure AFAIK. After that you could try WPA+TKIP or the homeplugs (which I use are find them pretty okay).

You definitely don't want to use WEP though.
    I wouldn't quite agree with that, while WEP is insecure it's not the same as using unencrypted wifi. It still takes concerted effort on a linux machine with the right software etc to break a WEP key. People looking to break into a network will pick the lower hanging fruit first, like the unchanged eircom netopia WEP networks and any wifi network broadcast in the clear. Of course, the risk is still there and that makes the difference for most people. A low risk is still a risk.

For anyone to have the know-how and effort to break into a WEP network, it's possible they're there to do some serious harm as opposed to a quick browse on the neighbour's email to check a bus timetable or the likes. Preventing malicious use is wifi security's most important role in my opinion.

@DEOREM: Why don't you try WPA-TKIP if not WPA-AES and see how that performs? It's far more secure than WEP and has been around longer than WPA2 so compatibility may be less problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭championc

Set your router to G only rather than B/G. Browsing with my phone was painfully slow until I turned off this negotiation and with G only, it's miles better. It nearly seems like devices get confused and end up miles slower. Some friends have done the same in their homes and saw big improvements. Everything now is at least G compatible anyway.

Also, as everyone else has mentioned, go with WPA and with TKIP or AES. Can't really imagine you need the N speed anyway unless you are streaming from a Media Server Wirelessly to other devices. Even if you had 30mb Broadband speed, G should still be faster meaning that your wireless devices will be waiting for Internet traffic anyway.

C

Advertisement