Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to break lease?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I about to sign a 12 month lease for an apartment , I was wondering if I lost my job or got a new job in a different town is it possible to break the lease with a months notice?

Comments

I think most landlords wouldn't mind if you could fill the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You cannot just leave; if you sign a one year lease, you are liable for the rest of the year even if you leave, UNLESS you find another tenant to take over the rest of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

I think it depends on the lease, the wording in some may strictly tie you in for the year and others may say once you give a specific amount of notice- say 2 months or so.

It should state it clearly in the lease.
    Most landlords a decent enough if you give good notice or better yet, find a replacement to move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Dónal wrote: »
    I think most landlords wouldn't mind if you could fill the apartment.

wrong! Its not tenants job to fill the apartment, if its a part 4 lease then you can give the appropriate notice found at prtb.ie, if its a fixed term lease then no, but there are still ways around that, simply put read the lease thoroughly, if it doesnt say fixed term then its a part 4 type lease. Also ask the landlord/agent what type of lease it is.
    silja wrote: »
    You cannot just leave; if you sign a one year lease, you are liable for the rest of the year even if you leave, UNLESS you find another tenant to take over the rest of the lease.

Wrong, The person hasn't specified it is a fixed term lease,
    To the OP ask what type of lease it is, if its fixed term just say no, but you will sign a part 4 lease.
    look up prtb.ie A part 4 lease can be a 12 month lease, but still not be fixed term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

i verbally told the agent id move in but now im having second thoughts,i havent signed anything yet but i dont want to seem like an asshole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Having second thoughts about the place or signing up for a year?

If the latter, ask the agent what kind of lease it is? ie is it a part 4? and if he says yes ensure it says so in writing or at least doesnt say it is a fixed term lease in writing. Tell the agent, upon receiving advice you wish to confirm it is the lease type you are looking for.

What is the county? area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If it is the one year thing that worries you, Part 4 is the way to go. Alternatively, you could ask for a break clause after, say, 6 months.

Advertisement