Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace old Netopia router

Options
  • 26-01-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Last year I switched phone/broadband from Eircom to Vodafone. I was able to keep my old Netopia router/modem but now it is giving me problems. I can no longer operate wirelessly and when the phone rings the router resets itself.

Vodafone tell me I need a new router and they have offered me a replacement at a 'special' price of 79 euro. It seems a lot and I wonder if I can get a cheaper alternative, maybe on ebay.

I know next to nothing about these things so I want to make sure that whatever I get actually works with my phone line and my computer.

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

well I've always purchase my own router cos free ones u get from ISP often locks up upon heavy P2P traffic.
    One thing u need to look out if buying from Ebay,some of them don't use the same Phone plug as we do in Ireland since the seller could be from anywhere but you can get around that using adapters.
    Mind you, what you're looking for is a adsl MODEM ROUTER, not just a router.
    a router itself wireless or not, doens't have a port to where you connect your phone line,it has a port to connect to your MODEM, the modem itself connects to the phone line, if you bought just a router, you gonna need to fork out extra to buy a modem as well. Those ones such as netopia are modem router which is an all-in-one solution, everything plugs into one box and its ready to go. They work out cheaper and easier to setup but often of lower performance and lacks many advance features.
    Check this one out at komplett, HERE.
    49.95e, Free shipping. , all in one modem router, has wireless N and use Rj-11 phone jacks same as ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

RogueFaye wrote: »
    well I've always purchase my own router cos free ones u get from ISP often locks up upon heavy P2P traffic.

Thanks for the tip. I agree about the free ones. I'll check out your suggestion.

Advertisement