Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Keys gonski

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

No loss....it was like watching a robot whenever Keys was on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

opr wrote: »
    I was trying to imply that I think Gray and Keys might also fiddle kids. FFS its not that hard work it out.

Opr

It was sh*t analogy whatever way you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

WH BONNEY wrote: »
    So these guys got the bullet for a conversation between a few lads off air, probably not a lot different to one that was going on with the many punters that were watching the game.

Im sorry but thats wrong.

Does anybody know what opr is talking about ?

Doesn't matter if it was off air, their jobs dont just extend to the times that the green light is on and they are on air. They have clock in times just like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He stopped just short of referring to himself in the third person. I was waiting for him to say "Keys and Gray did nothing wrong here; we are untouchable". Every apology he gave ended with 'but'. He then went on to claim to have helped launched the careers of the likes of Kelly Daglish among others. He managed to blame everything bar himself in the whole thing - it was a disaster for him to go on there.

There was nowhere really in that interview that he wasn't at pains to stress that what happened was wrong. He said it enough times. I mean I'm as keen to see the back of their coverage as any other sane individual, but the interview gave me no reason to think he's absolutely gone now. I was expecting at the very end that he would take the free shot at whoever leaked the tapes, but he didn't.

As I said in the locked thread, the dislike of Sky has clouded a lot of judgement. They're not going to suddenly disappear you know, it'll be the same stuff next Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So these guys got the bullet for a conversation between a few lads off air, probably not a lot different to one that was going on with the many punters that were watching the game.

Im sorry but thats wrong.

Does the difference between a chat with mates on a day off and a conversation in work really need to be explained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Does the difference between a chat with mates on a day off and a conversation in work really need to be explained?

Please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He is on about the abuse of power, priests got away with buggering children as no-one dared speak out and those who did were attacked and marginalised. Keys and Gray also abused their power within Sky Sport and felt confident that they would continue to get away with it, as they've been at this stuff for years you could say they were right. Nearly right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Please do.

there are certain behavioural protocols to be observed in work if you want to keep your job, like not doing anything that could be construed as misconduct. like being sexist towards colleagues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I feel sorry for them, yes they were idiots but it's been blown out of porportion. Personally I didn't mind them as pundits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

dfx- wrote: »
    There was nowhere really in that interview that he wasn't at pains to stress that what happened was wrong. He said it enough times. I mean I'm as keen to see the back of their coverage as any other sane individual, but the interview gave me no reason to think he's absolutely gone now. I was expecting at the very end that he would take the free shot at whoever leaked the tapes, but he didn't.

He apologised for making the job on Sian Massey harder and then went 'but' and started pointing the finger at people. He seemed annoyed that this was even an issue. It was a chance to save his job by just apologising profusely and leaving it at that.

As Tom Brady has said their jobs don't stop until they leave the Sky studios. If I said something a customer took offence to I'd be rightly reprimanded. They have millions of customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Glad Keys is gone. Will miss Grey doing the commentry though, he was a good partnership with Tyler imo

Headshot wrote: »
    I feel sorry for them, yes they were idiots but it's been blown out of porportion. Personally I didn't mind them as pundits

I don't think they should have lost their jobs, a suspension would have been enough I reckon. I don't mind them as commentators or pundits, but Jesus, it's that stupid Last Word show that makes me glad to see the back of them. Why Sky insist on showing such garbage - which they showed ahead of Spanish football at times - is beyond me. The most basic of insights offered and really just a show to stroke both of their egos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

sideswipe wrote: »

PS I would love to hear some of the off air conversations of Dunphy, Giles and Billo!

Indeed .
    I'd imagine some of the comments during any England match during the last World cup would have been especially tasty .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Dislike both, so glad they're gone but anyone who's laughing off the idea that Sky have engineered this in order to get rid of the lads needs their head examined in my opinion.

There are questions about the exact reason for doing it (Gray's NOTW lawsuit, or continuous bad behaviour in the workplace etc) but there is no doubt in my mind that Sky wanted them out, and got them out. They didn't have to sack them, and they certainly didn't have to release the other footage of Gray being lewd toward Charlotte Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Did Andy Gray apologise about the Charlotte Jackson incident in his statement? Or just Sian Massey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Helix wrote: »
    there are certain behavioural protocols to be observed in work if you want to keep your job, like not doing anything that could be construed as misconduct. like being sexist towards colleagues

I hear you, but they were not being sexist towards colleagues, as the colleague was not in the enviroment. But rather they were being sexist about an individual who would have been oblivious to these comments.

I am only talking about the Wolves incident.

I have no affection for the 2 muppets I just think it is wrong the way they have been outed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I don't think they should have lost their jobs, a suspension would have been enough I reckon. I don't mind them as commentators or pundits, but Jesus, it's that stupid Last Word show that makes me glad to see the back of them. Why Sky insist on showing such garbage - which they showed ahead of Spanish football at times - is beyond me. The most basic of insights offered and really just a show to stroke both of their egos.

I take it you're not looking forward to Jamie Redknapp's post match analysis on his specially modified Wii?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Glad Keys is gone. Will miss Grey doing the commentry though, he was a good partnership with Tyler imo

Have to agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I honestly don't think Sky leaked it. I thought it was some colleague who was sick of there BS and found the perfect oppurtunity to string them up.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I take it you're not looking forward to Jamie Redknapp's post match analysis on his specially modified Wii?

I have literally nothing against Redknapp. He is literally a top, top bloke. Literally. Bloke. Top. Literally. Top. Top. Literally. Slim fit suit. Literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I hear you, but they were not being sexist towards colleagues, as the colleague was not in the enviroment. But rather they were being sexist about an individual who would have been oblivious to these comments.

I am only talking about the Wolves incident.

I have no affection for the 2 muppets I just think it is wrong the way they have been outed.

ok then, lets put it this way. if youre at work and you start slagging black people, someone overhears it and reports you, what do you think will happen?

or if youre in work and you start slagging gays, and someone overhears it and reports you, what do you think will happen?

or if youre in work and you start slagging *inset any other minority, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation here*, and someone overhears it and reports you, what do you think will happen?

gray is on camera being quite sexist towards a co presenter, its not the linesman thing, but its another leak. in his case he'll have been sacked as a combination of those things

keys walked, he wasnt sacked, and youll note he WASNT on camera doing what gray did, therefore didnt get the same sanctions. leaving was of his own volition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I honestly don't think Sky leaked it. I thought it was some colleague who was sick of there BS and found the perfect oppurtunity to string them up.

I agree - Sky didn't release the first tape, but they were the ones who fanned the flames by releasing the second video - a pre match pitchside piece - on Sky News. They didn't have to do that.

I'm not sure if they released the Charlotte Jackson one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Seriously, fúcking hell.

Sky News have a reporter outside of Richard Keys house, and they've already talked to his wife.

Jesus, bit much putting a reporter (female ;) ) outside the house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

6ix wrote: »
    I agree - Sky didn't release the first tape, but they were the ones who fanned the flames by releasing the second video - a pre match pitchside piece - on Sky News. They didn't have to do that.

I'm not sure if they released the Charlotte Jackson one.

Charlotte Jackson one appeared on Youtube first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Glad the two of them are gone, they really annoyed the fúck out of me every matchday/night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sky haven't sacked Keys though, have they? Looks like he's decided to walk.
    Richard Keys has resigned as a Sky presenter following his sexist comments about female referee Sian Massey.

Apologising for his remarks, the 53-year-old Keys accepted they had been "unacceptable", adding: "I've reached the decision it's time to move on."

Pundit Andy Gray, 55, had already been dismissed by the broadcaster after further allegations of sexist behaviour from the former striker came to light.

"Going forward without Andy would have been almost impossible," added Keys.

Earlier on Wednesday, Keys suggested "dark forces" had been at work in preventing him from making amends.

"I apologised on the Sunday," the presenter told talkSPORT. "I realised how deeply wrong we were. Having done that I asked 'could we make people aware of the fact we had a conversation and that both parties felt it was right to move on?' I was told 'no'.

"Then 24 hours had passed, by which time the world had gone mad.

"I don't know why I was told 'no' and stopped from telling people what I had done."

The furore began on Saturday when Keys and Gray, believing their microphones were switched off, were recorded before the match between Wolves and Liverpool at Molineux making derogatory comments about Massey's ability to do her job.

Speaking ahead of the Premier League fixture, Keys added: "Somebody better get down there and explain offside to her."

Gray quipped: "Women don't know the offside rule."

Sky Sports Managing Director Barney Francis in a statement: "It is disappointing that Richard's career at Sky should end in these circumstances.

"However, Richard recognises that his comments at the weekend were unacceptable and we note that he has made a full and public apology. We thank him for his time in helping make Sky Sports the success it is today."

Gray was dismissed after new footage, which was recorded in December but only came to light on Monday night, appeared to show the pundit making a suggestive comment towards colleague Charlotte Jackson.

Gray, who reportedly had earned £1.7m a year issued an apology on Wednesday afternoon and added that he was devastated to have lost his job.

The original incident also saw Keys - who telephoned Massey to apologise for the comments - and Gray discuss comments made by West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady in the Sun newspaper about the levels of sexism in football.

"See charming Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism? Yeah. Do me a favour love," stated Keys.

But Keys added on talkSPORT that he had unsuccessfully tried to contact Brady to apologise to her.

"I tried to ring Karren twice on Sunday night," the 53-year-old said. "There was no answer and there is no answerphone on it. I texted her in case she did not know who was trying to call and asked her to ring me back.

"I tried to ring her to say sorry but she did not take my call."

Keys added: "Our prehistoric banter is not acceptable in a modern world. We were wrong. It was wrong. It shouldn't have happened."

The comments made by Keys and Gray were criticised by Manchester United captain Rio Ferdinand, who described them as "pre-historic" on Twitter.

"I noticed he tweeted and said what we said was pre-historic - but are you saying it does not happen in the Manchester United dressing room?" added Keys. "My information is that it does."

The chair of football's equality and inclusion campaign Kick It Out Lord Herman Ouseley suggested the scandal offered the sport an opportunity to move "forward to a more positive era where treating people with dignity and respect is at the forefront".

"It is important, however, that the debate is is kept alive on this and how we ensure humour or banter doesn't descend into offending people," added Ouseley.

Keys and Gray have been the face of Sky Sports' football coverage since the satellite broadcaster started showing English top-flight matches in 1992.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9376139.stm

I do get the impression they were not well liked from reading other articles but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is something more sinister to this.

I think the station will be fine without them though. Never liked Keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Never liked Keys anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

once again, the scope of this discussion is far beyond the soccer forum. Please feel free to debate it in Humanities if you would like to

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement