Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing scallions....help!

Options
  • 26-01-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

So, I buy scallions today and by tomorrow they've withered a bit! There's no way I'll get through the whole bunch in a day! Anyone any tips? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Wrap them in clingfilm or pop into a tupperware with a few drops of water. Should last a few days longer!

Yeah withering means they've lost their water pressure, due to either being too warm or in too dry an environment. They should be lasting longer than a day, more like over a week. Chilled is the best way to go.

My dad has a foolproof way of keeping his scallions fresh - he grows them in a bucket in the back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Shekira

Thanks for the tips guys! Like the idea of the bucket.....will give it a go!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Mexican and Egypt this time of year so if you can open and take the scallions from the plastic packs on display, these should have less exposure to the hot air and lights of the supermarket, then follow moist air tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

Put them into a tall glass with water about half way up. This will extend shelf life, stop fridge from stinking and they will even grow! The outside will get a bit slimy but this can just be peeled off

• Advertisement
Advertisement